Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone using AI at work?

Options
  • 24-11-2023 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Just watched some videos from Microsoft's recent AI conference.

Can ask excel to pull in data from another source, and the AI will write a python query to do it. This is mind-blowing.

Is anyone using any AI?

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I dipped into using ChatGPT.

I work with a lot of different software, industries, countries so you'd often find me googling stuff like "how do pension contributions in France work" I enjoy the conversation part of it because often I'd have surface knowledge and I can follow that up "How is it different to Ireland" or "Does X apply to contractors" it would take much longer with google, and ChatGPT is pretty solid on those answers because there is a mountain of material online advising on it.

Have indeed used it to write excel macros and SQL, which I found to be of decent quality at least workable with some edits , again the conversation back and forth is great , if you understand the code and see what it did you can clarify and fix issues right there and then.

When desperate I've tried it on queries regarding specific systems, like an ERP, and in that I found because the information on the internet is limited and versions change often, it quite often gets things very very wrong. Refers to features I know have been phased out, or uses terminology from a different software.

Also lastly I tried using it for math, simple stuff practically trying to use it like a calculator , particularly because I can give it a list of FX rates and then basically say "Hey what will $10,000 be in GBP?" and it is AWFUL. I don't use it for math anymore, I have no idea what the process is but it's given be wrong answers too many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes, we got AI to read heaps of our technical documentation and made a ChatGPT-like answering service. Basically, a faster, smarter documentation lookup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I've used ChatGPT for questions on snippets of code and the answers I received were a bit all over the place. It came up with responses that were not ideal and only because I have experience in the area I was able to question it further where it then folded like a cheap sun lounger. The concern would be if people use it and take what it says as gospel because they don't have enough background experience/knowledge to question it.

I find it quite useful for getting me started with something, like if I had a question on some elaborate piece of code. But once it gives me a starting point I can take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's incredible useful for software development. I am actually astounded at times by how useful it is. (ChatGPT).

I think people are in denial if they brush this aside. It's going to replace lots and lots of well paid desk jobs. And it could do much worse. It's really a strange time when this power is in the hands of a few people around the world.

The past 40 years have seen the fastest changes in society ever all because of unbelievable information technology software and hardware advances. But these recent AI advances are another world entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

It answers your questions and provides links to documents. The answer is not just a quote from a document, the AI has a bit of a creative intelligence to "understand" the texts and construct the answer from mashing up multiple inputs.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

We couldn't do without Al. Empties the bins, keeps the floors clean and swept and fixes anything that breaks within minutes.

Apparently he prefers to go by "Alan" but I call him "Al" for short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I use AI quite a bit in my work for automating script writing and as a semi-trustworthy muse for developing my theories.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is not mind blowing, it is just a small advancement in stuff we have been doing for a couple of decades. All of these data services provide details of the service in some kind of meta data, so it is a simple matter of reading the meta data and generating the Python code.

If you want to split the marketing hype from the reality have a read of some of the work by Prof. Steve Furber at Man. University.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

That it will generate code to connect to a specified data source from a verbal instruction - to a degree of accuracy, going by Kooroi's post.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

So does it point you to the document or tell you the content of the document?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Those of you who use AI in your jobs, what do you think is the more important AI skill to have?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

We have used it to rapidly iterate creative work for slot games, to create mood-boards and prototypes to test combinations of visuals. Fantastic.

Also used for summarising data sets and even summarising meetings. Very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DaSchmo

It has definitely reduced dog work like summarising text or coming up with boiler plate answers to things nobody really gives a **** about, and it is far superior to Google lately for searching information. For anything requiring real thought or creativity It's currently just another tool in the box and nowhere near replacing humans despite all the hype and bullshit that says otherwise. That MS copilot they embedded in Office that's some sort of GPT API is absolutely useless if you're already a power user.

Advertisement