Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bigger cattle trailer

• 24-11-2023 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I currently have a good straight Ifor Williams 8 X 5 which is too small. It's a 2012 and I'm hoping to sell it and buy a bigger trailer.

I'm not sure which size to go for any advice appreciated.

I'm thinking 10 X 6 but then again that doesn't seem a whole lot bigger than I have ?

12 X 6 is considerably bigger but maybe too big. I mostly use it behind the tractor but a lot of my gates are only 12fts and I'd be wary of struggling to make narrow turns.

Id mostly use it for moving cattle locally from yard to fields, maybe once a year to the mart.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The 10×6 is 50% bigger than the 8x5, 60 sqft v 40 sqft

The extra width might also mean less wasted space so you might get more than 50% more cattle in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

If you were thinking of changing then I'd be inclined to go for a 12×6 as opposed to a 10x6. Both of them are going to be the same width but you'd be better off with the extra 2 foot in length. If you pulling it with a tractor then you're not overly worried about weight so I'd again recommend the 12 foot. I run a 12×6 behind a pickup and you'll get in most places although you have to watch when turning off narrow roads ect but I don't find it a huge issue and I'd be in a lot of different spots.

I've never really seen the point of a 10×6, it's bigger and more awkward than a 8×5 but you haven't the carrying capacity of a 12×6. It's the width more so than the length that will catch you out in gateways, narrow roads ect. You could buy a 12×5 but there narrow for the length of them. This isn't so much an issue if you're hauling sheep or weanlings as opposed to cows/big cattle. If you're thinking of sticking with Ivor Williams then there only 5"10 as opposed to 6 foot wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

I’d be going for a Nugent 12 x 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Or if you are towing behind a tractor a 12x6'6 with the wheels underneath would nearly have the capacity of a 14x6 (wheels outside) and the same overall width.

If your going into fields that could be wet maybe avoid wheels underneath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

I’m thinking of buying an 8 by 5 livestock with sheep decks. How does the Tuffmac compare to Ifor Williams? They’ll both be dear I suppose but looking for general advice. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Op

New or second hand, what type of cattle are you drawing

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭RockOrBog

I usually buy heifers at 7 or 8 months old and keep them until approx 30 months old so I'd be moving them around.

I've ended up buying a used Ifor Williams 12 x 6 from dealer which is in fairly good nick.

I met a lot of rogues and villains during my search, that Donedeal is a cesspit now

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/31132858

New Nugent 8x5 2 Cow Cattle Trailer

was in a machinery dealer yard and was having a look at the above trailer.

they just seem very short but any one that has an 8x 5 trailer, would they really hold 2 cows circa 700kg ?

I’d say they would be handy for 2to 3 weanings 300 kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not really long enough. Same if you wanted to move a bull, too short for it.

Yes I was just thinking the same …I wouldn’t fancy trying to load two decent size cows into it.

10 x 5 minimum I’d imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

5 foot is a bit narrow for big cattle to turn and walk out. They can bulge the trailer. I'd say nearly all manufacturers do a 5'9" to 6' wide trailer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

In 10, 12 or 14 foots then anywhere from 5"9 to 6 foot wide is the standard but an 8x5 is usually just that.

There's a clean looking 9x5"6 Crooks on DoneDeal in Limerick. I'd opt for something like that over an 8x5 if towing with a car or van. Be easier to carry 2 good sized cattle without looking out of place. It's not simple to load wild stock into a small trailer, more likelihood of them giving the loading gate and you the 2 heels as well in my experience. A bigger trailer they tend to plunge into it and stand, those small trailers they can't get away from you and are more on edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Any reason why there are not many Nugent 14'seen for sale. Plenty of IW, but little to no Nugents.

It will hold two cows no problem, if heavily in calf it might be. Often carried two 700 kg+ cattle to the factory. If loading out of a decent set up ( not too large a loading area) it will carry 6X300 kg weanlings or 4X400 kg stores comfortably but you will not fit 5X400 kg stores.

I have a 10X5 and I can get 3X 680kg finished cattle into it.

No never had a problem with bullocks turning in the 5' box. By the time I get to the factory they are always faced rear ways no budget in the box yet and it had carried 50+ to the factory sine it was bought. Where you might have an issue is with an old long stock bull

I be looking for the smallest lightest trailer for behind a car or van. Generally IW's are the lightest on size weight ratio.

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks Bass

Do you ever tow the 10x5 with the RAV4?

It's the RAV that tow it. It's a 2 2D it's more than capable of doing it. The 10X5 is 150 kgs heavier than an 8X5 when they are unladen.

An 8X5 is 725kgs unladen a 10x5 is 875kgs a 10X6 is 970kgs while a 12X6 is 1130 kgs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

In the market for a 16ft cattle trailer and keeping an eye on done deal. Have any of you guys had a trailer where the wheels are underneath and are half above the floor level? I know this is great for keeping the bed low but I'd imagine it's a disaster for cattle inside as they'd be getting knocked with them. This one is low enough but some are protruding up to two ft off the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭The11Duff

HI Count

That's look like the make I have and its a great job.

I Have an 18 ft that I upgraded to from 14 ft wheels outside. Never had an issue with cattle being knocked. They will stand over them.

A friend of mine has a 16ft on donedeal at min

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Silverdream

It comes down to what you are using to tow with. For instance, I have a 2.2 Ford Ranger, and it struggles to pull the 12X6 Nugent Trailer when loaded. My cousin has the 3.2 version of the Ranger, and it handles the 14 X 6 trailer no problem.

The other thing to consider is access, with 12 or 14ft trailer you need a lot more room to turn. If you are travelling along the back roads then it's a nightmare to find a place to pull in if traffic meet

Advertisement