Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trading in a more expensive car for a cheaper or smaller one

• 24-11-2023 3:28pm

Hi

Since I have had good advice on my own issue, I am asking one for the boss !

She has a Nissan Quasqi jeep, 192 that she is looking to trade in for something smaller and cheaper. Reason being is she is moving job so wants something not as expensive that she wont mind putting miles on. Dont ask.

The car has finance on it, I know its hard to sell privatly with this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on trading in a bigger more expensive car for something smaller and cheaper.?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A lot of main dealers will only have stock up to maybe 6 years or so old, it might be hard to get one that will trade it for something they have. If there's finance on it and you want to sell it private you can get the amount outstanding from the finance company and get the buyer to write a cheqe/draft for the amount outstanding payable to the finance company and the remainder of funds to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They won't do a good deal. There are plenty of places that buy cars now, so try to see what they will offer compared to going for a trade in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It shouldn't really be all that different to a regular trade-in to be honest.

My son did something similar recently - He had a pretty nice car that he wasn't really driving all that much having changed jobs and wanted to free up some cash.

He went to a dealer , agreed a trade-in valuation he was happy with and took a cheaper car plus cash as payment.

The outstanding finance is a bit of a complication , but shouldn't be insurmountable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Best bet is to sell privately. And get the finance outstanding on it before setting price. It can be done it isn't as standard fare as a normal sale. You'd have to price the car right to drive interest.

Would you know of any?

I did see about a private sale, the littoral first person who came back to me said they did a history check and said its on finance, so no deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will always come out the worst financially from such a deal. Lots of dealers buying cars for cash these days so shop around for the best price they will offer you as you don't have to sell it to the dealer your buying another car from. Expect a few low ball offers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

A quasqui is not a jeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Why did that potential buyer have to do a (paid for) check to find out there was outstanding finance on it?

Not declaring this in the ad is despicable behaviour as you are attempting to sell something you do not own.

You need to clear (pay off) the finance or at least arrange terms with the company and have the paperwork ready to sell, anything else is just making it the buyer's problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You'd get something like a 2017/18 fiesta in a straight swap with a dealer, might be some cash your way for a 2016 fiesta for example..can't see you being offered anything that will make you feel like you're coming out well from this.

• Advertisement

No need to disclose about finance in ad you can tell people when they enquire

• Registered Users Posts: 14 agent_88

You could try the Merlin car auctions. You put a reserve on it and if it doesn't sell at the reserve it'll only cost you 50 euro.

If the car being traded in is a car in demand there is no reason why a dealer wouldn't want to pay trade price for it as a trade in and then make money selling it on and making profit from cheaper car too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

You can take a loan out to pay off the outstanding amount and then sell private as normal while repaying the loan. Just make sure there's little to no fees for early loan repayment and you'll save yourself at least 1-3k.

Hi,

Yes, I have terms agreed to pay it off, why would you not think I did?

I imagine finance is like a mortgage, no? Plus.,how do people sell cars on if you have finance?

Advertisement