Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get a GPS tracker for my cat.Any opinions or recommendations please?

Options
  • 24-11-2023 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

The lost and found thread here makes scary reading and we got a recent lucky let off with our beloved cat. She went missing for almost 24 hours and overnight and we were beside ourselves in panic. Sleepless night and no going to work next day but thankfully she turned up next morning all spooked but thank god unharmed. Got locked into someones shed we reckon.

We havent let her outside the door since. But the problem is that she hates being stuck inside and adores her little adventures in the wild. Shes hyper and unhappy at being forced to stay inside. So is a GPS tracker a possible compromise? And just letting her out mornings during winter? We live in a safe,urban neighbourhood. Shes microchipped but not young,11, but smart and streetwise.

Very grateful for any feedback on the trackers and if a good idea. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

An apple airtag is about 20 euro and lasts a year from a replaceable battery. It needs to be first set up on an iphone but after that you can just ask the person with the iphone if cat is lost. Typically accuracy is one or two houses away worldwide. Small and works.

A collar with a phone number can help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not sure an Airtag would be very useful in such a situation. You're relying on the tag being within Bluetooth range of an IPhone user, which if it's shut in a shed at the end of someone's garden is unlikely.

There's a company called Tractive that make pet trackers, my sister has one for her dog , but they make a cat version as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks guys. Tractive is coming up on a lot of searches with reasonable reviews. But good to hear what people here think.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So I've had my Tractive mini for nearly a month now for my cat and it's awesome technology and gives me such peace of mind

13 euro a month is a steal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks so much Headshot. Update: I got the Tractive mini and today was my third day using it. Completely agree that it is indeed awesome technology. Amazing how well the tracker is designed that it fits perfectly to its mount on the collar and sits snugly on the cat's neck causing absolutely no inconvenience even to a hyper little cat like mine. I'll have to stop all the live tracking her though as I'm using up the battery too quickly, but so far I'm fascinated that I can be at work and still keep a discreet eye on kitty miles away. But that's all new gadget novelty factor, I'm like a kid, lol 😀 I'll calm down after a while. But yes, great peace of mind as it really is very scary when your beloved pet doesn't come home on a cold winter's night and you have no idea where she might be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement