Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with constipation

Options
  • 25-11-2023 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Our miniature schnauzer appears to be constipated. He has not gone properly for 2 days. He previously vomited and had a bad dose of the runs the night before. We think the kids were teaching him a trick and fed him lots of dog treats when we were away one day.

I tried a small bit of coconut oil and a few spoons of Greek youhurt. I also gave him a tin of wet dog food. He done a small poo yesterday afternoon, fairly soft but it was something and we hoped the start of a larger event but nothing since.

He is in great form, runs like a wild dear when I let him off his leash.

Any advice on other remedies before I take him to the vet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’d try some oily fish like sardines, mackerel etc .. but I’d also be keeping a close eye in case he might have a blockage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭mulbot

Feed him raw meat.

• He could have “overflow diarrhoea” if he’s very backed up. Might require a plain lukewarm water enema. However use caution, if he has a mechanical blockage like some object he ate. Very occasionally a tumour can be responsible, as happened my cat when he got a recurrence of bone cancer in his pelvis which blocked passage of stool.

Advertisement