Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared chimney stack with neighbour

Options
  • 25-11-2023 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I am temporarily living outside Ireland. I let the house in dublin which I own in the meantime. There is water damage coming from the chimney stack that I share with my neighbour. They are not responsive to my attempts at contacting them. I literally would be happy if all they did was allow access to let the necessary work be done. I have tried writing letters to their address. Im not 100% on their name even as they moved in after I left Ireland. The previous owners gave me the name. I found what I suspect to be the person on FB and linkedin but no response. I would be so so grateful for any advice before I go down the legal route. Love u guys.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nickmax

My attempts at contacting them hav included sending a msg via FB and linked in

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭burtner

Maybe Your neighbour also has the house let out and the tenants receive your letters! Can you ask your tenants to call next door to confirm?

I know what ure saying makes sense and I had thought of that… apparently the neighbour is living there. I hav reason to believe they are quite odd - I won’t elaborate. The tenants I have are female and I just don’t want them to be uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hire someone else local to knick on the door then. Someone who they will respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I don't think you have much choice here. You can't let water damage continue.

If the neighbours are ignoring all written attempts at communication from you, they'll ignore a solicitors letter also. They are most likely avoiding you as they think you are looking for money from them.

Arrange for someone to come look at the chimney.

Then your tenant is going to have to knock on their door, and speak to them, face to face.

They can advise the neighbour that you have been trying to contact them, the date and time of the appointment, and hand them a piece of paper with your contact details, so if they have any issue with that they can take it up with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Send them registered letter from solicitor stating the issue, that it's a joint feature over both properties and that prompt response is required to explore rectification works required so that any property damage can be minimised.

Yes I like this option. I can just get one of my tenants to drop a piece of paper saying that there is someone coming to have a look at chimney hope you don’t mind etc. I just want to try as much as I can before going down legal route.

Yes I hav someone in mind for that👍

• Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If the water ingress is only on your side, they may be ignoring your communications due to the potential costs involved. Send them a letter stating you will pay the cost of repairs and I suspect you will get the response you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Squatman

uncomfortable, like living in a damp house? or uncomfortable having to walk next door for a phone number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I had this problem before.

"If we can get this resolved before Xmas, I'm happy to cover the costs fully, they'll be lower. It it drags on, then it will be a lot more expensive so we'll have to share the costs."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭GBX

May be cynical here but if you advise them of your intentions in that you are wanting to fix it on your dime, be clear that this is only for the chimney work being done and nothing extra that they may try to tag on, especially if they are also tenants you are engaging with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

you should be claiming on your insurance for the cost of the repair.

Advertisement