Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Window thermal film

• 26-11-2023 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here used window thermal film and if so noticed any difference in heat retention ? Also did it make the window look anyway different, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Just had a look at that thread thanks. It's more towards the use of curtains, blinds etc.

What I had in mind was the clear film which is 'stuck' on the inside of the window on the glass.

A couple of the sites claim it can reduce heating costs by 35 - 50%, ( which I have my doubts about ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭con747

It was more to show you the people in the know saying about the thermal loss through the window. A good window should be good enough to retain heat inside.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Had a Bay window and French doors in the dining room/kitchen, installation was with Munster joinery about 20yrs ago. Its the coldest corner of the house and this is where I watch my TV, Two years ago I removed the old glass from the windows and installed with a better U value. While the glazing was out I drilled a few holes in the frame (where they would be covered with the glazing unit) and filled the frames with expanding foam.

New glazing cost five hundred euro and then another few bucks for the expanding foam, It didn't make any noticeable difference at all.

The year I have started wearing a vest under my T-Shirt and top, and this has lead to a very noticeable difference, should have thought of that first.

Ok. Thanks. So no experience on the film though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I tried the film in an old house. When it worked it was pretty good, however, it's very hard to install, the double side sticky tape sticks to the window frames but the film itself detaches over time.

Also, when i had to remove it i nearly lost the will to live, couldn't get it out of the window frame, only managed about half and ended up giving up...

I wouldn't recommend

Advertisement