Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage treatment options in urban area

Options
  • 26-11-2023 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

What are the options for private sewage treatment in an urban/suburban area? The local sewage treatment plant is over capacity so new houses can’t be connected to the town waste system. Site is around 600sqm and near other houses on all sides so it could be tricky to get a septic tank the required distance from any dwellings. Are there other options now? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The LA most likely won't allow any development until such time as IW have upgraded the plant. A connection to the public network is always preferable over an on-site system.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

an application for 1 more house may be approved.

have you asked the planners?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Have you sent in a pre-connection enquiry to Irish Water ? I know for some developments where capacity is an issue that an onsite treatment unit can be provided so it is treated effluent that connects to main sewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I’ve had various calls but not actually applied for planning. On the advice of somebody in the planning office I submitted a connection query to Irish Water and they said connection to the network was not feasible. There are others who would also like to build in the area but there’s been an embargo on building in the town for years and IW have no plans for building a new facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Oh that’s interesting. I must look into that. Do you know what type of system would be used to do onsite treatment in that scenario?

• Advertisement
Advertisement