Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone SIRO IPTV on own router

Options
  • 27-11-2023 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Being wracking my brain trying to get this work. Messing around with IGMP settings on opnsense to find the method. Seen some mention success but not 100-percent on the details.

Just checking if someone else has managed to get it to work. Im running opnsense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nr3

I had it working on an Edgreouter X a couple of years ago and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble but from what I remember you need to get your base ethernet vlan 10 interface to get a dhcp from vodafone - this'll be a 10.x.x.0/20 address. Then you get igmproxy to listen on that interface and forward into your lan.

I don't remember if you need to clone the mac address of the vodafone router as well.

This has the instructions for vodafone spain if it helps. https://www.florianjensen.com/2020/04/03/vodafone-iptv-neba-on-tomato-firmware/ - it's similar but a different vlan.

I just have my vodafone router and own firewall plugged into a dumb switch and have the tv going into the vodafone router and everything else goes through my own fw.

I gave up as it wasn't as smooth at changing channels as the standard router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Thanks for the comment. I was trying the igmp methods but didn't have look. Does feel it's related mdns and something in missing.

I'll try spoofing the Mac from modem on the second vlan10 tag and see if that makes the broadcast work and then igmp it over to lan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Did you have any luck here?

I ended up playing around this for a while this time last year but got no where. Ended up doing what the other poster did and had the TV box plugged into the VF router and my own Ubiquiti plugged into the VF router as well.

Seems to run without issue in fairness although probably not ideal from a networking perspective. My Ubiquiti handles all WiFi connections and majority of the wired stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 boardsuser1000

Another possible method is

Connect ONT to a switch

Connect the Vodafone router to the switch

Connect the IPTV to the Vodafone router

Connect your router of choice to the switch

Connect your computers to your router of choice

You are 100 percent correct. This is how I was doing it but I wanted to avoid needing to run the Vodafone modem as well. Trying to make setup cleaner.

• Advertisement

It works if you do dumb switch from ONT to your router and Vodafone router. Both will get their own IP and work independently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KontaX

Anyone make any progress with this? I understand you can use both routers with a switch connected to the ONT, but where's the fun in that? I've made a small bit of progress, but I'm stuck with what I believe is the IGMP part of things.

I've managed to get PPoE work for internet fine by creating a VLAN with tag 10, and a Point to Point link over that. Next step I got was creating the IPoE link over the same VLAN, giving me an IP in the 10.100.0.0/20 range, so far so good. From there I got stuck - I have IGMP Proxy set to run upstream to the 10.100 interface and downstream to my LAN, and added a couple of firewall rules to open up everything while testing, but getting no luck. I tried following this link: https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=17865.0.

I don't know much about IGMP at the moment, all I see when running it verbosely is a message saying "No routes in table", no idea if this is meant to be the case or not. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I had the IGMP Proxy incorrect, using the same interface for both upstream and downstream. Adding LAN to the downstream instead seems to have populated the routing table, still no TV though unfortunately.

Post edited by KontaX on

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KontaX

I've finally got this working - the web UI of IGMP Proxy doesn't allow you to enter a CIDR of 0, which I thought would happen when you left the network blank. Anyway here are the steps I took to get this up and running:

1. I assume that the internet works already via a PPPoE link over VLAN 10.
    2. Create a new interface directly over the VLAN via Interfaces | Assignments | Device = vlan0.10 | Description = VFTV | IPv4 Configuration Type = DHCP
    3. Create a couple of firewall rules to allow IGMP and UDP over that interface via Firewall | Rules | VFTV | Add new rule:
      1. Interface = VFTV | Protocol = IGMP | Source = VFTV net | Destination = Single host or Network = 224.0.0.0/4 | Description = Allow IGMP Multicast Traffic | Show advanced features | Select "allow options"
      2. Interface = VFTV | Protocol = IGMP | Source = Single host or Network = 172.16.0.0/12 | Destination = Single host or Network = 224.0.0.0/4 | Description = Allow IGMP Multicast Traffic | Show advanced features | Select "allow options"
      3. Interface = VFTV | Protocol = UDP | Source = Single host or Network = 10.0.0.0/8 | Destination = Single host or Network = 239.0.0.0/8 | Destination port range = from: 5601, to: 5601 | Description = Allow VFTV Multicast Traffic
    4. Create an upstream and downstream proxy within Services | IGMP Proxy
      1. Interface = VFTV | Description = Vodafone TV Upstream | Type = Upstream Interface | Network(s) = 10.0.0.0/8
      2. Interface = LAN (whatever your internal lan network is) | Description = Vodafone TV Downstream | Type = Downstream Interface | Network(s) = 192.168.1.0/24 (or whatever your LAN network is).

It's possible I missed some steps here as there was a lot of trial and error, but hopefully it helps someone.

Edit: Just to note - I didn't need to set the MAC address to match the original routers.

Edit 2: Looks like I jumped the gun - it seems to work for around 5 mins then the channel just freezes. I recall reading about this somewhere so I'll have to dig it up.

Edit 3: There seems to be an additional IGMP flow from a 172* IP range that the firewall was blocking, I've updated the steps above which seems to have fixed it (10 minutes ofteleshopping and counting!).

Post edited by KontaX on

Amazing work. Going to attempt this now.

Wish me luck

Advertisement