Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY LNB upgrade difficult to do?

• 28-11-2023 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I just got a new Freesat 4K Arris box and am considering upgrading my current LNB to a Wideband Hybrid one.

This is my current one, not sure what type this is...

I've seen THIS one which should do the job.

The dish is on the side of the house about 20 feet up.  Is this a difficult to do yourself and is any realignment required afterwards.  Any tips are appreciated thanks.  Would I be better off buying the LNB and getting someone to do this for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,707 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Existing LNB looks like a standard Sky quad.

Easy easy enough to swap over if you're confident working up a ladder, no realignment required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thats the normal sky lnb and it has been well fitted. the lnb you have picked is correct and if you reoplace it exactly like the old one then its job done. The best option would be to use the existing holder and just pop new one back in. The lnb is held in place with a plastic collar that is in 2 parts held together with 1 screw and it is are accessed from the top. So you would need to push up the weather shield at bottom of lnb, undo the 4 f connectors, then undo the screw the collar will then come away. take off old lnb and make a note of the way it was fitted, even take a pic from the front to show the little twist thats required. But its high up and fiddly so getting an expert may be best.

here is a vid of the new lnb, shows the collar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibAsGdjkzjg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭anonanymore

Don't forget to unplug the satellite box before removing the f connectors at the lnb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do you know which cable goes where in the house?

I ask because if you have other satellite receivers as well as the new one which you're going to need the wideband connection for, so you'll have to know which cable to attach to one of the two wideband connectors on the LNB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

• Advertisement

Cheers swoofer, great detailed explanation and video. After having a rethink it is high up and fiddly and I'm not 100% sure I'd be confident working at that height so may get an expert to do it.

Thanks Alun, I think I know where the connections go🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Grey123

Did mine standing on a flat roof. In my opinion it's not something I would fancy doing on a ladder. I had trouble getting mine off, I think I needed to stick a screwdriver in to pry it open. Needed a bit of force, I'd be worried about my balance when it pops off.

Didn't need to do any realignment and the rest is relatively simple if you were doing it on the ground.

Advertisement