Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Understairs gas meter

• 28-11-2023 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I own an old terraced house with an understairs gas meter. I received a letter from GNI saying my meter needs to be replaced. Fine by me, but I was advised by RGI installer my meter being an understairs meter it needs to be moved outside (he refused to do formal boiler service because of this). I postponed the meter moving because 1. it's a pain to get RGI to call (both my wife and I work in schools and can't be constantly at home waiting for them to show up) and 2. Given the season I had no idea how long I would be without gas connection.

We now have an appointment for a meter replacement. A few questions:

1. Will they replace the meter even if it's under the stairs (which if I understand correctly is not allowed anymore)?
    2. If not, will they want to move the meter outside? Can they do that on the same day or will they just say "move it first, then we'll replace it"? I don't think they will since it's a service that requires payment.
    3. I know RGI only connects meter to mains. I also know RGI installer will need to be contacted to connect outside meter to appliances. How big of a job is this? Will they have to break walls/floors etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Why not ask GNI?

Have you any idea where the gas line comes in to the house?

My guess is that they could well leave the existing in place and just find the pipe outside and fit a new meter.

I don't foresee any internal works unless they decide the (lead? pipe to the meter is no longer fit for purpose.

Any of you neighbours get it done?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LucianBelmau

Thanks for your reply!

I've no idea where the gas line comes into the house. It's an ex Dublin corporation council house (1950s).

Most of my neighbours have their meter outside, it's really just my house which had been rented so previous owner basically didn't bother.

I never thought about the meter bypass, that's an interesting point. The problem I've found with GNI is that the people you speak with over the phone have no idea what's happening on the ground, they're just a call centre with prepared answers to standard questions. I'll definitely ask the technician once they show up though (especially before they cut off the gas supply!)

In case the pipe was not fit for purpose, how big of a job is that?

Advertisement