Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missed collecting a JA payment due to a covid infection, now I'm being denied access to the payment

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The OP has already claimed to be online during the entirety of their covid isolation, so what was stopping them making a phone call or sending an email?

Please do not claim that HSE guidelines had anything to do with the OP not contacting Intreo, it is yet another way you are completely wrong in this thread.

Talk about judgement calls is nothing but obfuscation, you are claiming facts when the only fact that matters is that the clerk was 100% factually correct in their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So you were not a Civil servant for 30 years 🤔 Tut Tut, which is it

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

They we're following convent guidelines and deciding offers are not sitting in Intero centres waiting to assess cases where someone has decided not to collect their Jobseekers payment.

Keep Digging, this is amusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

37 years and counting. Multiple departments.

How long have you been a serving civil servant?

Don't answer. I already know the answer. Putting you on ignore.

• Ezeoul exactly what does it matter if Dempo is a civil servant? They’re still correct and you’re still wrong.

Would you ever just grow up. No ones going to back off and let you spread dangerously wrong information to the OP in the state benefits forum.

You accused me of knowing nothing because I’m a chef, so what job do I require before I can be correct on the matter? I already am but I don’t work in the correct industry I guess.

Did you read the opening post?

The payment expired as I was testing positive for an entire week and still had to avoid going out in public for a further few days after recovering (HSE says up to 5)

The OP said they were still testing positive after a few days, and they referred to the HSE guidelines which are still to self-isolate.

So it's incorrect to say its nothing to do with the guidelines when the OP referred to them.

So, you and others here can immediately jump to the conclusion that OP was up to something deliberately fraudulent, I took them at face value as we're supposed to do on this forum.

Now, y'all have a nice day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

What is the hse’s take on being vaccinated and self isolating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is not one single HSE guideline that prevented the OP sending an email to Intreo. There is not one single HSE guideline that stopped the OP from picking up the phone and ringing them.

Stop making a bloody show of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Throughout this entire thread you’ve demonstrated, to great hilarity, that you haven’t a clue what you’re talking about and are just one of life’s know it alls who people dreading meeting and and snigger at behind your back.

From claiming, and insisting repeatedly despite being corrected by several posters , that jobseekers can appoint a temporary agent to maintaining that jobseekers can continue while a claimant is in hospital it’s been quite hilarious. If it wasn’t for the fact that you deliberately tried to mislead the OP just so you wouldn’t have to admit you were wrong then I’d say I nearly enjoyed it.

Goodbye.

• Advertisement

Missing you already, terrible to be caught out isn't it. I had a very successful career in Hospitality, travelled the world and just recently awarded DA, something I have posted about openly . You've chosen to insult people on here, that's bad enough but to keep up this pretence, you know anything about how DSP works is just embarrassing and posting factual incorrect information outrageous

Byeeeee 😉

Thank you.

I'm certainly nó Civil servant but like many, have learned the principles of how DSP operate. I spent almost 2 years throughout the Pandemic offering whatever advice I could, learning myself as I went along.

There are others on here, far more experienced in social welfare matters & I have made mistakes & apologised. I've certainly not deliberately posted incorrect information.

Anyway, onwards & upwards 😉

• Ah here

show me what HSE guideline says you need to self isolate from your phone or laptop?

If they were capable of browsing indeed as they claimed then there was nothing stopping them sending an email to JSA section.

You’re proven wrong but are so hell bent on being right you’re bending over backwards to be correct on technicality.

The OP shot themselves here and in future the only good advice they need to follow is:

No matter what is going to stop you collecting a payment or making an appointment with an officer, you must contact them as soon as possible.

you can’t just tell people they can get away with whatever they want because they’re “sick”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thanks, I understand that.

But you could work from home with with covid, so you are avaliable to work and you can continue job searches from home, so you are seeking work.

Would that not meet the criteria for JA?

• Also this is complete rubbish as well and would be best not listened to.

Despite what is commonly believed, TD’s do not have any influence in social housing or social welfare.

All you’re doing is annoying a deciding officer when they have another “representation” of a customer…

Woking from home has nothing to do with this situation, the OP is receipt of a Jobseekers payment, failed to collect it, failed to notify DSP & by their own admission in capable of work so by default not entitled to Jobseekers for the period they were sick. I get it's harsh but those are the Rules

• Advertisement

• some jobs you can WFH if you have covid.

Thats the key here with JSA you cannot place restrictions on your work and availability to work.

If you’re not looking for full time or putting nonsense barriers up like you’re applying for 9-5 jobs and stating you’re only available from 6pm onwards. You’ll never get that job then clearly but you can’t use the application to say “I applied look!”

Having Covid and self isolating are not any different. You’re simply not available to start work immediately you are available AFTER self isolating. People seem to think JSA is a lifer payment too it certainly is not.

I guarantee you the ”dole lifers” or whatever you want to call them are on payments such as DA, Invalidity pension or the likes. JSA you need to constantly look for work, go to courses, meetings, do work experience etc

The type of individual you might see go into the post office at 9am & be tanning cans by 9:30am are not on JSA and they certainly won’t be for long if they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I see.

So the lifers are moved to a cushy number that isnt impacted by things like health issues.

Its a funny ol' world, but thanks for the explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Hate to burst your bubble pal but I've first hand experience in my family of various appeals being granted for different applications when someone in the right position had a word, despite all info, circumstances, etc not having changed and being told not to bother as their decision waz final etc, might not sound fair but it's very much still who you know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Is everyone ignoring the fact that OP was declined on the basis he wasn't fit to search for work while applying for jobs online? "as the clerk in my local Intreo office decided I was unfit to search for work during this time and therefore don't deserve the payment. This is NOT correct as I was still actively searching online". Surely the clerk realises the vast majority of job applications are done online and can take days to process and arrange interviews!

OP absolutely ask this to be referred to an EO, you were looking for work and I'm sure you can prove it with emails stating such.

• Oh my god

it’s not good enough to just look for work. The terms and conditions are that you are seeking & available immediately for work (full time employment but part time is okay if that’s all you can find).

So let’s say it again so everyone hears us this time:

IF YOU ARE AT HOME SICK YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR JSA.

• Advertisement

Oh my god

Calm down please, OP said he was declined for not being fit for looking for work which he was doing, no T&Cs were mentioned, unless OP confirms as such my comment stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Im pretty sure letters from TDs and councillors are binned at this stage as they are meaningless.

• I am perfectly calm, I am just fed up reiterating the same thing over and over. the caps were just emphasis not shouting 😅

Sorry if i offended you though. But yeah, to be totally straightforward about this the OP lost all hope the moment they didn’t bother to lift the phone.

Like it or lump it they are in a situation of their own making. Sucks to get covid but that doesn’t stop you ringing the office and if you were capable of searching indeed looking for jobs then you were capable of sending an email.

Regardless of what the OP was told over the phone the rules are clearly laid out and I imagine they will soon receive a letter from the officer which will detail exactly why the payment was suspended.

• Yeah I’d say so tbh

they probably file them in a special filing cabinet (it’s the shredder)

I'm not offended at all was pure sarcasm (doesn't work well over text)

You have a valid point I find it hard to believe that the SW think anyone can apply/interview/start all within a matter of days, he has nothing to lose by appealing.

• I don’t think they believe that but it will say it does happen to be fair!

I applied for a job, years ago, in a factory. There was at least 150 of us there and everyone called for interview walked out with a job starting the next day! 🤣

Depending on the job you here can be very, very quick turnarounds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

I once had an issue whilst on Jobseekers where I needed to go abroad for a 3rd week.

I accepted that I had would not be paid for that week and raised no objections.

Whilst abroad, a kind person phoned me and told me that he had reviewed my record and appreciated my history and believed that I was not taking advantage of the system.

He told me to call into the Post Office upon my return where my payment would be waiting for me.

There are some officials who take there role quite seriously and understand the purpose of their existence.

Some of them are kind hearted, my contract ran out the week my mother died middle of December, I went in the first week of January and she back dated it when I explained what happened, she was lovely and professional.

No , the few who have either haven't read the OP or have not a clue about eligibility criteria for JSA

Thank you for posting your experience.

This is an example of a DSP officer looking at the circumstances, and making a judgement call, (which apparently, can't happen).

But in reality, not everything that happens in practice behind the scenes in a INTREO office, is written into the operational guidelines or posted on Citizens Information.

Much as some (albeit, well-intentioned) posters would like to think so.

• Advertisement

• Wowee

Wowee indeed.

Amazing how the comments rapidly dried up after two posters posted their experiences of DSP officers making judgement calls on their claims that technically go against the rules.

• is that perhaps because it was 3 pages in at that point and repeating a point over and over was just necessary because you wouldn’t accept you were wrong?

Its probably that tbh

Cos myself I’d be more inclined to believe the officials involved here as opposed to boardsuser213 who’s mate knows a fella who overheard down the pub about their aunties best friend getting a council house faster cos they went to their TD.

Sure thing that happened yeah definitely

@[Deleted User] Whatever you want to believe is fine - I'm okay with that.

In fairness, I would like to say to @Dempo1 that I acknowledge they do a lot of good on this board, and have offered a lot of excellent advice that has helped a lot of people.

But sometimes you also have to be prepared to listen and take on board when someone tells you what can happen in practice, as well as what the "official" line is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement