Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Stations on Satellite

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Most UK radio stations were removed from Sky in Ireland some time ago, in any case, for altogether different reasons (Brexit).

If you want to listen to UK radio a smart speaker is a very cost effective option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Dont have Sky ,have Freesat and its useful for live football commentary from BBC Scotland,5 Live and Talksport as commentary is not available via apps. I suppose all the radio stations will come off satellite as the listenership v cost is untenable!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

None of those stations are going anywhere for now - this relates specifically to Bauer Media Audio brands which are mostly music related like Absolute, GHR, Hits Radio, and Magic. (Unfortunately local radio over in England has gone terribly homogenised with a lot of networking - something that thankfully hasn’t made its way here yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

I found that the Saturday afternoon commentaries on BBC 5 live radio are also available on the BBC world service (which isn't geoblocked), and will play on an app or smart speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If you want to listen to radio, download the Simple Radio app. Its free and has 100s of stations from all over the world.

Currently listening to some nice morning classical on Radio Free Brooklyn.

• Advertisement

Yes,forgot about that and BBC Radio Orkney and Shetland have live commentaries too of Scottish Prem games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Back in the 90's & 00's (and a bit of the 10's) most satellite receivers both analogue & digital had stereo phono output sockets that you could attach to a hifi system, and this was often used by those that had both the inclination & equipment to do so - no need to have the TV on to listen to satellite radio. The old Sky Gnome receiver that was about roughly 20 years ago extended this concept albeit using bluetooth IIRC (though that was later rendered obsolete due to Sky EPG changes). It was certainly useful in a time when most other radio listening options were terrestrial only (especially where FM reception wasn't perfect) and listening via the internet was low quality and/or tied to a computer. There was similar outputs for DVB-T set top boxes in their earlier years to for the same reason.

However these days there are other different ways to listen to such stations that doesn't involve tying up satellite/DTT boxes, with good sound quality (e.g. smart speakers, DAB where available), HiFis aren't as much a part of the regular living room furniture compared to say sound bars, while apps on Sky Q boxes, mobile devices, Roku, Apple TV etc. are readily accessible (dare I say the commercial broadcasters would prefer you to listen via them as it can give them readily available audience stats).

For the likes of Bauer, the actual cost of broadcasting their radio stations on satellite won't cost much, likely the major expense is the EPG cost, but it's probably at a point where it's no longer worthwhile keeping them going. I'd expect they'll also withdraw the relevant stations from the Frreeview platform in due course once those contacts are due for renewal.

Post edited by TAFKAlawhec on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It says 3.8% in your link. Rounded to 4% in the Rajar information. Apps and smart speakers at 24% are way behind DAB, FM and AM combined.

https://www.rajar.co.uk/docs/news/RAJAR_DataRelease_InfographicQ32023.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@TAFKAlawhec When Sky took over the Formula 1, I used the RCA outputs to listen to BBC Radio commentary while watching the race on German TV. Took a bit of messing to get the sync right but was still better than paying for Sky Sports. 😉

• Advertisement

Talksport 2 currently broadcasting the Man U game and available on the internet in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

I use a satellite receiver purely dedicated to radio. After initial set up, there is no need for connection to tv. The Amiko box has a digital coax out which is fed directly to amp, Works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Have any Xmas radio channels come on line this year?

Looking for something for background music for SWMBO.

(keep her happy in the kitchen 😀🤣😂 )

Heart Xmas and Downtown radio are wall to wall Christmas music all day

I see Heart; Heart 80s; Heart 90s and Heart Dance but no Heart Xmas. 🤔

Neither do I see Downtown Radio.

Are you sure those are on the Astra satellite?

You said online, they are available via internet radio or apps!

• Yes, whatever PL game 5 Live have on a Saturday at 3pm and Sunday at 4.30 will be on the World Service.

My error ..... apologies.

I did mean via satellite.

In previous years there were some channels dedicated to Xmas songs but I have not noticed any this year so far.

And BBC Radio Orkney and Shetland are not blocked during games whereas the main bbc Scotland channel is!

Blast, BBC have now copped on about Orkney and Shetland and have now geo blocked the stations for the start of the Scottish Prem today. Ah well at least I have it on satellite !

• Advertisement
Advertisement