Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Driving in Paris, France

• 29-11-2023 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We are going by ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg and then driving our Irish car to Paris.

I have just done the car service, all new tyres recently, have comprehensive car insurance for up to 30 days in EU and have AA breakdown membership also.

Could I ask:

1. How to pay for toll roads? I have an eFlow tag but I doubt it will work there.
    2. How is the driving there? Especially when steering is on right hand side.
    3. In the event of car breakdown, who do I ring for assistance?
    4. Any other tips for car driving?

Many thanks😎

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭tmg

tolls you can pay for with a card at every motorway toll i've ever encountered on the way from cherbourg to paris (and anywhere on the autoroute network). the card pay stations are clearly marked on the overhead signs)

driving is pretty good, and stick to the speed limits, particularly in the 50kph zones in towns and villages. people tend to brake pretty keenly as they go into villages, so be wary of that

orange traffic lights mean stop. people will stand on the brakes rather than accelerate, so also be aware of that

stop signs mean you actually need to come to a stop, and are a favourite lurking point for local cops (although i dont know how keen they would be to pull a non-french car)

i think the aa will cover you in france but worth a check as i dont actually know. there is also assistance on the motorways at the various phone stations but i have no idea how useful that would be if you do not speak a bit of french

for paris, you will need a crit 'air sticker - https://www.france.fr/en/holiday-prep/crit-air-anti-pollution-vehicle-sticker for the emisssions zone. i think its around 70 notes for every time you are caught inside a crit air zone without one.

hth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are good to go.

Don't worry about driving in France you'll soon get used to driving on the right.

An experienced driver in the front passenger seat is very useful to assist at junctions and overtaking etc.

As for Paris forget it as far as driving is concerned. The traffic is mental and parking is a nightmare.

Park outside the city and use public transport.

Then you can relax and really enjoy the City of Light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Don't drive in Paris you'll ruin your trip! Was over there twice for world cup it's bonkers inside the city

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Getting off the boat eases you into things since you are following a line of traffic. Also avoid cruising in the overtaking lane. They tend to use it correctly on the continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Some basic info

Roundabouts are the worst, driving around the wrong way. Beware some round about traffic coming ON the roundabout have right of way, the opposite of yield coming on to a roundabout.

Try get a good day nav with maps of France. Using your phone is not ideal. It may not work well with data needed.

Put in the location of all accomodation and stops in advance and ensure you have car phone chargers and leads and ideally an old school car Garmin GPS as a back up. Often phones won't work for the first while coming off the ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

You could get a Bip and go tag to pay the tolls. Advantage is you can use the Liber-t barrier-free lanes.

You will need a Crit Air sticker. Make sure to use the official website, its only a few euro you just need to upload your reg. cert.

When you see a village name outlined in red it's a 50kmh limit. There are also many 30kmh limits now, some have obvious signs some don't. Google maps does not always get it right either. If you see traffic calming or a school etc. I'd assume its 30. Also some towns/villages still have the priority a droite rules so keep an eye out.

I'd avoid driving in Paris at all costs, probably true of all big cities. I'd look for a park and ride outside and get the train in.

Most fuel stations are pre-pay. Total Energies are pay at pump which is probably the easiest.

There is at least one fixed speed camera on the dual carriageway out from Cherbourg.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks so much for this info.

Yes, I have saved AA EU helpline number now. I have also applied for crit air certificate.

Re: orange lights, are those part of the Red, Yellow and Green traffic lights?

Perfect.

I have applied for the crit air cert, it was just over €4.

I will use the car's inbuilt satellite navigation and Google Maps also and will be cognisant of speed limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'd echo the stay the **** out of Paris sentiments. Got too far into the city while trying to skirt the western fringes one time and it was ghastly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

Make sure your inbuilt sat nav includes French maps - a car I had (ironically, a Renault!) only included maps for the 26 counties as standard.

• Advertisement

Good point.

I searched Paris in the cars mobile app and it does show map and names of street. That means it would work in Paris right?

Screenshot here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Do you still need those headlight converter stickers? I remember years ago they were required, but that was years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

It's mental driving in Paris. I'd park in suburbs and use public transport. It's literally the craziest place to drive iv ever been in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You haven't lived until you've done Place de l'Étoile 😀

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I think nearly everything has been covered but....

• you will need a spare bulb set by law in France. You can get one at Hallfords for a few euros. Not sure what the craic is with LEDs (has to be exempt) but even my car with snazzy LED headlights and brake lights has old style bulbs for indicator and indoor lights
    • paying tolls with a card is handy, just tap and go, but the passenger will be doing it
    • headlamp adjustor stickers can be got on the ferry at the shop for a reasonable price, but modern LED often can be set on the menu to the other side of the road. Whether you need them or not, no idea, but if you are driving in the countryside and blinding all the local drivers, its dangerous and on that score alone you should get the adjustors.
    • As mentioned above, theres quite an amount of speed cameras but they almost always are very well flagged , so just stay within the limit. The first few dozen km out of Cherboug has quite a low limit and you might get tempted to speed, but just dont. Set the cruise control and let the others speed and get a ticket.
    • If you break down on the motorway, AA is of no use to get you off the motorway. The police and a private appointed local operator cooperate and that is the only service you can use. If a non approved tow truck helps you then they get 1000s of euros of a fine. Its crazy and I initially thought people were making it up when i heard of it but it seems to be a thing in France.

That's very helpful.

I have Hyundai Tucson Hybrid with LED lights.

What's headlight adjustors? Is it mandatory? Could someone please post a link and I will order it in Ireland.

I will be driving from Cherbourg to Paris where we will stay for a few days and then take public transport as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭ARX

1. Be extra careful coming out of car parks, petrol stations etc as this is the most likely point for you to inadvertently end up on the left-hand side of the road. No harm to chant, "drive on the right, drive on the right" to yourself in these situations.
    2. It's a long time since I drove in France but as far as I remember, many petrol stations are unattended and take cards only. Whether they'll take your card I don't know. So don't let yourself get low on fuel. This may have changed since I was last there.
    3. Don't mess with French police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Have a look in the manual you might be able to switch the lights to suit driving on the right.

You also need to take documents such as reg. cert. in France, have a look online for the full list.

Also hi vis jackets for all in car accessible from the car, I.e. not in boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

I had one of these stickers at top of windscreen when driving in France, handy to give a quick glance to coming into a roundabout to remind yourself of correct exits Etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭65535

For me when I was there years ago I intended to drive down the champs-élysées and then onto the massive 'roundabout' of the Arc de Triomphe - it was great - fabulous no issues except when stopped at a traffic lights a motor bike driver with a massive french moustache came parallel to the car and said in a cork accent - 'You're a long way from Turners Cross Boy'.

Ha ha - can go nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Unless your car has 'flat beam' or LHD/RDH adjustable lights you'll need those stickers.

Years ago, you needed yellow paint, as the French needed yellow headlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the public transport system in Paris is excellent, you'd be nuts to drive in unless you're staying in the city centre. Get the RER, it's quick and frequent and you can change onto the Metro and go anywhere in the city on your RER ticket (provided you don't exit the station). You can buy weekly tickets on the RATP app if your going to be using the trains and metro more than a couple of days.

The main places you need to watch out for accidentally going onto the wrong side of the road are when you're coming out of a one-way system, particularly if you're turning left. Roundabouts are actually easy as the road leads you into the correct direction. I did come across one this year in a suburb where you had to yield to traffic entering the roundabout, which is the old French "priorité a droite"; I think it's the only one I've come across in years of driving in France.

We drove Cherbourg to (outskirts of) Paris earlier this month, every toll plaza takes cards, but there were a couple of occasions where my AIB card wasn't accepted so have Revolut or some other alternative just in case. I didn't do anything to our headlights, I was only ever driving with dipped beams which are unlikely to blind anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭spuddy

I lived in France for a few years so know the place reasonably well.

Two things

1) Avoid Paris (even the ring road if you can!)

2) Watch this (it's totally accurate)

https://youtu.be/zvDJRABhVh0?si=sd_c8xuMGzdpQ5_I

That's very helpful.

I never use high beam in Ireland. In that case, do I need to worry about getting headlight adjustors?

In my car there is 0 to 4 option to raise or lower the light beams.

I checked car manual.

The led headlights are straight ahead so suitable for RHD and LHD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My car, a Kia niro, has projector style headlights and in the handbook is as clear as mud and contradicts itself ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭JMcL

Look at the timetable for enforcement of bans on the various CritAir classes - all diesels for example are due to be banned from driving in the zone I think 8am-8pm Monday to Friday, petrol engines have at least a few more years grace so long as they're not too old. Electric and other "greener" cars are fine - all need the sticker though (if you don't have the sticker in time, you can print proof from the application and leave that in the windscreen). CritAir is also needed for an expanding list of cites throughout France.

The other thing you need by have is a reflective red triangle and high vis vests (I think you need 2). These have to be accessible within the interior so don't put them in the boot.

We've never done anything special with our lights, though you do have to have spare bulb(s) though good luck trying to change them on most modern cars

Toll booths are grand so long as you have a passenger. The booths are all contactless, though for some reason my Visa card stopped working with them last year, but the debit card was fine. They only occur in the A13 from Caen to about 60km from Paris. Just be careful on the approach to Paris near Versailles - it's very easy to wind up in the A14 tunnel which while marginally quicker has a really expensive toll.

Oh, and as others have said, Parisian drivers are mostly bell-ends, and the peripherique is not for the faint hearted. I'm happy to drive anywhere else in France, but I leave Paris to my (Parisian) wife!

You WILL blind people if you have asymmetric dipped beams as most cars do.

The dipped beam kicks up on the left (in Ireland/UK) to pick out road signs.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

I checked for my car, Hyundai Tucson Hybrid, the Led headlights are straight ahead and don't need to change anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Spark Plug

Something to be mindful of when driving in France is the concept of priorité à droite and the signs that indicate that this is applicable on road that you will be driving on (indicated by a sign with a yellow diamond and a black line through it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Nobody yet has mentioned the interesting way people street park in Paris, leaving handbrake off and bumping cars to force a space.

Don't expect your car to come away without some Paris souvenirs.

You'd be mad to go to Paris as a tourist and just expect to find street parking where you want it. There are lots of underground car parks though.

So we got AirBnB in the city centre with its reserved parking and 5 min walk to public transportations.

It will be fine 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

+1 for this. Why all the scare stories bought driving in or through Paris. With the exception of Étoile, it’s not any worse than other major cities. Have regularly driven into Paris and have generally chosen a hotel by availability of parking.

I am only 3km from there. Looking forward now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Do you still need to have a high Vis and breathalyser in the car over there?

I have two highvis but not gonna take breathanalyser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Speed cameras, speed cameras, speed cameras.

They give very little leeway.

3km over and you can get a fine.

And in a 50km/30kmh zone.. don't even think about it.

Also, a Stop sign means STOP.

Indicators however, are completely optional.

Www.Fuelflash.eu is great for finding a local petrol station, especially if you need a toilet break, most petrol stations seem to be connected to supermarkets, which have funny opening hours (even though the fuel pumps are open 24/7 for card payments)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

buy your fuel at the Hypermarché (Leclerc, SuperU, Carrefour etc) if you can - it is much more expensive at the autoroute service areas. Could be 20c a litre difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Bicyclette

Keep some change in the car for tolls. We had issues in September with both AIB Debit and Credit Cards in Rouen, I think, and on the Pont de Normandie. You don't need the breathalyser. There is no fine for not having it and its become defunct.

Motorway Services - make sure you pick the larger ones with the shops. The woodland ones have awful loos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 duignan59

Hi guys i have driven in france [Paris] many times over the years i never had a problem in any way there all you have to do is keep your eyes wide open at all times be very aware whats around you.........

That's reassuring. I have driven in Germany and Hungary without any issue. So this trip in Paris should be fine too. Only difference this time is I am taking my Irish car 🚗

Any point of creating Carrefour or other hypermarket loyalty card in order to get some discount? We will be staying there for a week.

Thanks

Would toll roads accept the paper currency and return the change?

How many toll charges do you expect between Cherbourg and Paris?

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭JMcL

There are quite a few - not sure off the top of my head but ballpark 5-7. You'll hit one every 15-20 minutes and unlike other french autoroutes where you get a ticket on entry and pay when you leave, on the A13 you pay at each one, usually between €2 and €4 a time. Total is around €18 each way if memory serves

In answer to another question, you don't need a breathalyser, but you DO need accessible in the interior high-vis and a red warning triangle. You can get fined for not having those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yielding to traffic approaching from the right is also a rule in Ireland, it applies in situations where there is no other rule superseding it. For example a junction of similar roads with no markings or traffic signals or traffic signs.

Yellow diamond means road with priority, others need to yield to you. If it's crossed by a black line it means "end of the road with priority" and nothing else, it doesn't mean that right traffic priority applies because that always applies in absence of other rules.

Also another thing to be careful about in continental Europe is pedestrian signals, usually when you are at a junction and turn left / right the pedestrians crossing that road usually have a green light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That behaviour is not unique to Paris, its everywhere in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

Zee bumper is to bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ok coming out of Cherbourg as someone mentioned stay to the limit.

I got a ticket this year after only being in the country half an hour.

Yeah yeah I know, but we were late off the boat and on way to far side of France and I mean the Italy/Swiss side.

There are loads of cameras on drive into/out of Cherbourg so keep eye out for the signs.

Also watch the locals.

Dual carriageways are 110 and motorways 130 (can depend on traffic and weather)

You won't hit motorways until down towards Bayeux - Caen direction if I remember correctly.

And then comes the tolls.

Can use cash, but soon run out of it and card is handier.

Also some booths only give you the ticket that you then use at the next booth.

Some you pay up front.

Service stations vary, some are big and nice, some not so good.

And the French custom of only serving food 12-2pm also can be applied in service station cafes.

As regards Paris had very interesting time lost in those low height tunnels somewhere around or rather maybe under Versailles.

Note: satnav doesn't work underground and you need to rely on the signs down in the tunnels as to which lane to take to bring out on right road.

Also watch speed in tunnels.

Advice would be to stay out of Paris, but in case you are going in get the French Crit'Air sticker as fines are hefty without it.

You apply online.

Bring hi-vis vests for everyone on board, bring breathalyzers (I have been breathalyzer there so maybe that's why out of habit), bring light bulb spares, warning triangle, toolkit.

If you breakdown on motorway, park up, hazards on and warning triangle out and get to fook off it behind barriers toutesuite as they are very very dangerous places.

French drivers can get p*ssed if your lights are blinding them.

As others have said amber doesn't mean gun it, think of it meaning stop.

That actually applies everywhere, but here.

Also watch our for pedestrian crossings in towns/villages and be prepared to stop as someone can step out.

My missus has handy moniker to remember which side to drive on, she just says "keep me in the ditch".

I find it is better than swapping watch onto other hand, putting reminder sticker on steering wheel/dash, etc.

Did I say stay out of Paris ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

I also have never found Paris a bad place to drive. It can take a while to get through if driving across, but that's just because it's a big city. On-street parking is a pain and if you've a nice car stick to the car parks. Nearly all the undergrounds are limited to 1.9m so bear that in mind if you happen to have a roof box. All that being said, if you're going into the city for the day, defo take the train/metro, it's more relaxing. But don't be afraid of driving in/through, especially if you're comfortable with SatNav and you have a competent person shotgunning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement