Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Yeah Baxter was excellent - sleazy and menacing. Backing vocals with the (chorus?) effects fits so perfectly to balance it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Sirenia tonight at Opium Live

They were unreal, I can't for the life of me figure out why they aren't as big as say WT. Only about 100 or so at the show. It was a brilliant setlist and only complaint is that I wish they played on for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Four gigs last week during the nicest weather in a long time was not something i was looking forward to. Ever the martyr though, i ploughed on.

First up was CLT DRP, Upstairs@Whelans. Pretty decent trio overall. A good frontwoman, a dude who knows how to make use of his massive pedalboard, and music that was a mixture of riffs, punkiness and alt-pop. That commercial element and the singer could see them go down well at a festival.

Next was TVAM in the Workmans Club. Managed to get a free ticket for this. Guitar/vocalist, drums and knob twiddler all playing in front of screen projections. Kind of indie/psych/electronic vibe. Enjoyable enough but a bit one dimensional until the very last tune 'Total Immersion' which was a nice motorik ride.

Godflesh in the Academy on Saturday night was more impactful. Heavy, loud and a longer set than last time, clocking in at around 85 minutes. A duo of guitar and bass, plus a laptop, they sure do create a punishing din.

Acid Mothers Temple in the Workmans got off to a good start as Thee UFO were supporting, a band that really deserves more coverage. Also, the door tax was only €15 whereas the tickets online had been €22. A nice wee bonus it has to be said! Anyway, AMT were fantastic. For a band with well over 100 albums they could certainly switch up the setlist, but when they're on form like this it hardly really matters. Veering from full on speed crazed noise assaults to minimal, repetitive trance-outs with a bit of psychfolk thrown in for good measure they pummelled and soothed us in equal measure. Cometary Orbital Drive never fails for me; that ascending riff, very similar to Spiritualized's Electric Mainline, that just builds and builds. Marvellous. Big grin on my face throughout and easily my gig of the year so far.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 38,399 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bruccceeee last night in Kilkenny, great gig. Next up is Smashing Pumpkins & Weezer in the 3Arena next month

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Are gigs work related for you DW?

You obviously go to a lot, sometimes it seems like you go to more than you want 🤣

• Advertisement

Ha! No, not work related.

However, i was actually saying to my mate on the drive to Dublin on Sunday night that i would be delighted to have a month or two free of gigs 😀 I know I DON'T HAVE TO GO, but i can't help myself! Tbh it's the getting out the door that's the hard part. I'm usually glad i went in the end, even if it's to satisfy my curiosity on an act. Last week it was just the idea of driving to the city and being indoors, when i'd like to be out in a sunny garden, that was the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Crackling gig this evening at Keane in the 3Arena. Tom Chaplin's voice is still out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yup, whatever you think about Keane, he has an incredible voice and they have a handful of great songs and the voice elevates the rest. Good walkway layout. Was easy to get a good spot standing. No hassle or people talking during songs. Everyone singing along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Dreamweapon- keep those reviews coming and all the other gig reviews too...would have liked to have seen to Godflesh but irksome work knocked that one off!

McCluskey, possibly Fangclub, Frank & Walters , Smashing Pumpkins and J Marr in Athy are next up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ha ha, fair play!

I go to far fewer these days (post kids) and find I'm often the same, an hour before leaving I don't know if I can be bothered but I'm always happy I did when I get in the venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Nice to see someone else at Godflesh, quality show from BC and Justin

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭T.V Eye

Looking forward to Mountain Goats next week, pretty sure it's a full band show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

Depeche Mode, Manchester, 29/1/24

Depeche Mode, Dublin, 3/2/2024

Judas Priest, Dublin, 15/3/2024

Simple Minds, Dublin, 18/3/2024

Gary Numan, Belfast, 17/5/2024

Bruce Springsteen, Dublin, 19/5/2024

Gary Numan, Manchester, 24/5/2024

Rammstein, Dublin, 23/6/2024 

Stevie Nicks, Dublin, 03/7/2024

Nicki Minaj, Dublin, 6/7/2024

AC/DC, London, 7/7/2024

Mr. Big, Dublin, 16/7/2024

Adele, Munich, 10/8/2024

AC/DC, Dublin, 17/8/2024

KK’s Priest, Dublin, 21/8/2024

Geoff Tate, Dublin, 13/9/2024

David Gilmour, London, 11/10/2024

David Gilmour, London, 12/10/2024

David Gilmour, New York, 4/11/2024

Interpol, Dublin, 10/11/2024

Nick Cave, Dublin, 13/11/2024

Australian Pink Floyd, Dublin, 2/12/2024

Australian Pink Floyd, Dublin, 3/12/2024

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Any change left from €50k? 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Great show from Eric Clapton tonight. Guest appearance from Paul Brady.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He sounded so good. Guitar and voice. Wasn't expecting him to still be able to play like that. Loudest gig I've been to in a while.

Show could've done with another "big" tune or two. Sunshine or White Room or something.

His solo during Got to Get Better was worth the price alone though. Real master at work stuff. Muttered "fcuking hell" to myself at one point. And Badge was fantastic.

Post edited by The Nal on

I think he's been swapping/interchanging Badge and White Room, but he has been ending with Sunshine of Your Love and I felt that would have been a better finale. No complaints, though.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Eric played brilliantly, you really wouldnt think you were listening to a 79 year old year man with neuropathy when it comes to his guitar work.

But I have to be honest I was a little disappointed in the setlist, I knew from his UK gigs the last week or so that he wasn't playing Layla, Wonderful Tonight, Lay Down Sally ect but I really thought the encore song would of been Sunshine Of Your Love or something more well known. Could hear a few heads when leaving and on the Luas say the same.

Also learned last night after years of watching him on YouTube play live that he played slide guitar.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yep, unlike Pairc Ui Chaoimh we had Fairweather in the 3Arena last night….

And of course Mr Clapton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

Was blown away by his playing - feared a bit when he shuffled out, but then again he is what 79, but man oh man was it something else when he played - out of this world - I had to leave near enough the end - after Cocaine, to get train home - what did he do re encore?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A Jimmy Rodgers cover. Standard blues thing. Nice and all but you didnt miss much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Jaysus. Nick Mulvey in Vicar Street had a bit of everything tonight. The excellent First Mind right through on it's 10th anniversary, followed by an encore that included Palestinian poetry, audio clips of Eco icons and his own 'Galway Girl', a new one called 'The Wild Atlantic Way', including assorted Lahinch musicians that his mate had met over lockdown. Tremendously cheesy but brought the house down. We were only short an open top bus with Jason McAteer waving a tricolour. Chants for Palestine, a full throated Ole Ole - accompanied, mind - and some of the best audience participation I've ever heard. I could listen to Nick play acoustic guitar all day, so unique. Top night out. Kudos to all concerned.

Girls Aloud in the 3Arena.

They played a few hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Northernsoul

Heading to Bearded Theory in the morning, for the first time!! Anyone got any must sees or recommendations for me from the line up. ?? 🙏

https://beardedtheory.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ooooh you lucky sod! Lots of great stuff there. Aside from the obvious stuff at the top, BC Camplight great in Whelan's a while ago, loved Divorce, Hot Wax and Bodega at EOTR, bdrmm excellent in Button Factory, going to Les Savy Fav Friday, supposed to be savage live and would defo have a look at Bob Vylan, ferocious energy. Also really looking forward to seeing Lambrini Girls and Big Special later in the Summer. Have a good one!

Varying degrees of interest but worth a look: Janes Addiction, Amyl & The Sniffers, Sleaford Mods, Orbital, Dinosaur Jr., Bob Vylan, Jane Weaver, Goat Girl, Pip Blom, Sprints, English Teacher, Divorce, Les Savy Fav, Bodega, Big Special, Stereo MC's, Bdrmm, Lambrini Girls, Don Letts, The Orb, System 7, Bentley Rhythm Ace, Fabio & Grooverider, Steve Davis & Kavus Torabi, Jah Scoop/Chris Liberator.

Have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I saw Therapy last year in the Olympia. And they still put on a really good show.

And I've been a fan of Future Islands for a while, so I am biased in my recommendation to catch them. Very energetic. The lead singers dancing antics can be worth the admission price alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

Agreed, he was fantastic in Belfast for the last night of his tour. 10/10 had a bit of everything as you say, great wordsmith!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Northernsoul

Thanks sooo much for the recommendations! Im a big electronic & old school/acid head so deffo have orbital, the orb, roni size, k-klass, 808 state, fabio & groovrider, chris liberator on the list. Then therapy, future islands. Deffo dexies for a bit of ‘Come on Eilleen!’ Will check out some of your shouts also. First fest of the summer, - Glastonbury, Boomtown and Burning Man to come 🥳

Advertisement