Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Bob Vylan is two dudes, one of them on drums. Pre-recorded guitars? Sure no different to Sleaford Mods. The biggest disappointment for me is Meryl Streek as he doesn't even have a laptop on stage to press play on. Just him running around, ranting to an offstage backing track. I felt slightly cheated tbh.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I enjoyed Meryl Streek when I saw him supporting Bob Vylan. Both would be better with a live band alright though. Suppose it's hard enough to make a living at their level without having to pay a few musicians too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

No, fair enough. I knew what Sleaford Mods were, I didn't realise with Bob Vylan. I've never seen them live so I'm certainly not writing them off, just found them very exciting on first listen and the guitars are a big part of their uniqueness, just disappointed when I realised they weren't thrashing those chords out on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭T.V Eye

I like Dry Cleaning on record.

Live, it felt like a Later-era Fall gig. Someone doing spoken word over a band playing too heavy to suit it. Neither element bad, but I wouldn't bother seeing a show again.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Och, I liked the ould Dry Cleaning, but I totally get people's problems with them! Saw them at Bearded Theory there at weekend. It is somewhat of an acquired taste, I think. And, this particular schtick may exhaust itself, one imagines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Caught some of Dry Cleaning at Wide Awake. Their time has passed. The schtick with vocals is tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Yeah I saw them in the Workman's five years ago with the room almost completely empty and they were great. Fairly dull in Vicar St last year.

Yeah, I saw Dry Cleaning in the Button Factory, really liked them but interestingly haven't gone NEAR them since. Strange one.

Spot on there. Saw them in the Button Factory, thought they were ok, nothing special but not crap either. Lasted one song at ATN then left, caught them again in Vicar St where they were an absolute bore. They have been chucked into the same bin that contains Squid, Black Country, New Roads and Black Midi. They can bugger off, the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Northernsoul

Worst band i saw at BT at the weekend, and possibly ever. Hated her voice, lyrics etc. Not my thing at all.

• Advertisement

Gosh - "ever"?! Remember first hearing them & did enjoy. Still do, but appreciate not to everyone's taste. But, I guess, ain't that what's great about music? We all have differing tastes & no-one is necessarily 'right' or 'wrong'.

Actually, I quite enjoy some of these…

…am I the baddie?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

I think that first Dry Cleaning album is pretty ace, but a bit like Wolf Alice, they're a band who I fear that unless they shake thinks up sonically, they'll be relegated a little.

Those bands are sh1t mate. 100% right.

Squid were garbage on Sat. Babe Rainbow on the other hand were a right old laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Black Country New Road also sh1t live - really?

Only saw them once (@ATN) where they were decent if grumpy due to persistent sound issues.

Hoping for greatness from then In The Meadows - don’t burst my bubble!!!

Lads a few Osees fans in here I know. Never seen them, give me a read on them. I love some of their stuff, great garage rock, catchy as ****, next thing I listen to tips into metal with the vocals to match, too much for me. What's the live experience like? Where should I start my dive into their extensive back catalogue?

Live they are essential. One of the best acts you will see imo. Psych, garage, punk, prog, jazz, kraut, it's all in there without being tedious muso wankery. Plus, John Dwyer is a funny guy. I'd love to go for a pint with him! The run of albums from The Master's Bedroom… through to Drop is a decent place to start. After that their sound starts stretching in different directions that may or may not be your cuppa.

Cheers Dreamweapon, I'll get stuck into that so.

Dwyer is a workaholic so the discog is unwieldy. I always recommend "The Dream" from Carrion Crawler as the entry track. If you like that give albums a go. Mutilator first, then Orc, then Smote Reverser. Then flip a coin.

Along with Newcombe, Dwyer one of the godheads of modern psych. Genre has exploded in last 10/15 years. Lot of success down to him. The two drummer live show is some seriously nourishing gear for the soul. Pity he's not playing here this summer. He knew last summer which is well odd.

Funny that we approach their records from totally different angles @Dreamweapon ! The run you suggested is ace. I'm more aligned with the krauty goodness than the nuggetsesque garage gear howevs. All good.

• Advertisement

Ah i like both elements, i just figured that run of albums would be more digestible for stillill42 to get started on. Although your suggestions are probably more useful as they haven't done the pure garage stuff for a long time now. I would love to see a return of Destroyed Fortress Reappears to the set though. I first saw them around the time of The Master's Bedroom… upstairs in Whelans to 15 people so that album will always be a cornerstone for me in their catalogue.

Ta lads. They're an intriguing bunch, a number of different bands in one. The fact that ye're recommending a run of 10 albums as a decent place to start gives a fair hint at their complexity. Loving some stuff so far, though not all. One way or the other, they'll be at the top of my to do list for Green Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭T.V Eye

I wouldn't usually recommend a live album to get into a band but Live in San Francisco is worth a spin. The current set will still feature a lot of songs from it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Can't underestimate the impact The Dream being on Vinewood radio in GTA V had on the band and on the genre

https://ktswblog.net/2021/10/21/how-the-radio-stations-of-grand-theft-auto-v-changed-the-way-i-listen-to-music/

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheeOhSees/comments/12tbfaa/what_was_the_song_that_got_you_into_thee_oh_sees/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Still Rocking All Over the World…

Tuesday in Belfast, the day before Rossi's 75th birthday

39 years and 364 days earlier in Manchester, the day after Rossi's 35th birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 38,398 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

a rather random and unexpected addition to the gig year, Gilbert O Sullivan in Theatre Royal Waterford on the 10th Dec

Beak will be decent in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My second favourite link for gigs……

https://www.songkick.com/metro-areas/29314-ireland-dublin/tonight

Picked up a ticket for €6 to see Clay Pigeon Shooting. This could be excellent value!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Quo were brilliant on Tuesday and was back in Botanic Gardens last night for the always brilliant Christy Moore. Unfortunately half the crowd seemed to prefer to spend the evening chatting to each other. Why the **** they pay out money for tickets is beyond me - just stock up at the off licence and sit at home with a CD playing in the backgroun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Heading to see John Fogerty in Camden NJ, the gig has sold so badly that tickets are a quarter of the price they were when I bought them...... So.....

1: Dynamic pricing does work both ways.

2: I will be asking for a better seat.

Advertisement