Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

After Sunday nights Rammstein extravaganza, up next was Shania Twain in Musgrave Park tonight.

Delta Goodrem was opening act and she was amazing. Quite the voice for a live performance, what a set of lungs she has on her. Performed a mini greatest hits set including Innocent Eyes and Wings to name but a few.

Rag N Bone Man was up next and despite not being to my taste, he was a real crowd pleaser.

Then the main woman herself came on to rapturous applause. A brilliant greatest hits set, which thoroughly pleased and engaged the crowd. She did have a few slip ups in forgetting lyrics but she powered on through with great humour. She did pause the show for a while when people in the Golden Circle made her aware to a medical emergency and Shania asked for assistance for the ill fan. She was very concerned for her fan and was greatly relieved to be given the thumbs up that the individual concerned was going to OK but was taken to hospital as a precaution (I hope they are feeling better and it's nothing serious). She finished the night with Any Man Of Mine and Man, I Feel Like A Woman which had the vast majority of fans on their feet, dancing and belting out the songs.

Post edited by Tauriel on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Ty Segall very good in the Button Factory tonight. A 90-odd minute set mostly consisting of latest album Three Bells, plus a host of career spanning selections. I think most denizens of these parts would have enjoyed tonight. Sure, there were the expected thick, fuzzy riffs but it wasn't too heavy, or out-there or awkward. More like a group of locked-in musicians playing solid ragged glory rock. I was getting bits of the Grateful Dead, Floyd, The Band, maybe a bit of funk mixed in with the garage fuzzers. Recommended.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 38,398 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nah got what was offered on the morning they went on sale

They were pretty good seats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Whatever you're into yourself, ty segall is a bloke though.

Post edited by hynesie08 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Great gig. Hadn't seen him before and I like the new stuff.

Ffs wrong comment

Sure he is good looking chap but not as solid as Shania Twain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Patti Smith in Vicar Street tonight, and she was in superb form!!

At 77, her voice and overall presence is very good - I feel that she has a few good years of performing still left.

Songs covering many decades of her career and a few covers- including a lovely rendition of Lana Del Rey's Summertime Sadness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Good to know. Really looking forward to tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yogicolly

Great stuff, any idea on start and end times? Thanks

• Advertisement

Assuming you ask about Patti Smith, she started at 8:50-8:55.

Support tonight is Ye Vagabonds, scheduled for 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

bloc party coming up on Friday 15th July- which I'm really looking forward to and then i have KOL in marlay park on Saturday 16th July. Busy weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yogicolly

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ts_editor

Those Dublin gigs are the fifth and sixth, the weekend after this - don't go on the wrong day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Green Day last night in Marlay Park, one of the bucket list, excellent show

Next up Madcool 4 Day Festival in Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

With all the big gigs and festivals taking place this weekend, good to see sanity remaining in The Grand Social with a noise-fest triple-bill that attracted a very decent crowd last night to see Gouge Away, Teenage Wrist and Angel Du$t.

Justice Tripp, singer with Angel Du$t, before smashing you in the face with a shovel load of loudness. Very impressive.

Patti magic in Vicar Street last night. Not all the songs are amazing but you'd watch Patti sing the phone book. What a woman. Beautiful atmosphere, a room full of love. And then blew the roof off with a rip roaring Gloria to finish. Can't belive the Thursday crowd didn't get Gloria!

Oh, very nice!!

People Have The Power was the closer for us, would have been great if she had played both as encore.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I enjoyed that…

Not a pop princess in sight. No spangles, no sequins. The most visible flesh on display was the drummer's head. This was rock royalty, dressed in black, white and denim. And not a single person around me was chattering, or heading off to the bar to bring a handful of pints back. 1,500 at Vicar Street who I am convinced made more noise on a pro-rata basis than would have been produced at the Aviva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

I sold my ticket on Thursday - picked what is probably Covid at Rammstein on Sunday and was too phucked and didn't want to spread it indoors. Missed her supporting Nick Cave in 2018 too due to lazy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭head82

Still buzzin' after last nights Patti Smith gig. I've never seen her perform live before and figured with her being all of 77 this might be my last opportunity. Went in with low expectations thinking she'll probably just go through the motions.

Shame on me for being so ageist! She hasn't lost an ounce of her rebellion, anti-establishment and just downright '70s New York punk coolness. And as for that finale… 'GLORIA'… it's being going around my head like a mantra all day.

Also very encouraging to see so many of the younger generation there (me being 'ageist' again but reverse ageism if you get what I mean).

Definitely one to tell the grandchildren about.

Heading to the saw doctors in Fairview Park, Leo Moran is either gonna be in the form of his life or the gigs getting cancelled cause he's too drunk to stand......

Some day if you're a Galway man at Croker then Fairview. Place will be bouncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Wolfe Tones at Musgrave Park tonight.

First up was Ispiní na hÉireann, who were good, then The Scratch, followed by the Sharon Shannon Band who invited Imelda May and Mundy on stage, and they paid tribute to Shane and Christie which went down a storm with the crowd.

Finally the main act themselves, The Wolfe Tones, came on. A staggering performance, these guys are amazing and I think I can safely say that the Rebel County gave them a spectacular send off. The setlist was exceptional, the crowd up for it, it was a recipe for success. They also got a few digs in at RTE prior to singing the iconic Celtic Symphony, which was a big hit with the Cork crowd. Thank you The Wolfe Tones for 60 years of heartfelt, stomping rebel music. I will remember this night forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Great gig as always from the lads. What a wide range fans!

First time at Fairview. Cracking venue! Really enjoyed it.

Opening with a couple of slower ones to give the shams who ran up from Croker a chance to catch their breath was a genius move.

First time seeing them in nearly 20 years and they're just an utterly fantastic, incredibly tight band, they've got the turbo trad stuff down, but stuff like Clare island, Green and Red of mayo and share the darkness (which I'm gutted they didn't play) are stone cold classics, and to win just once is top 10 greatest Irish songs ever written.

First time in Fairview as well, cracking set up and sound was solid, handy walk back after as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Saw them in Galway last year. It was a special night. They played some real gems that night including, Sixties Still, Same Oul Town and Michael D.

Seemed to be a shorter set tonight but I'm not complaining.

I've never come away from a Saw Doctors gig disappointed. It's great to have them back! I still reckon they don't get anywhere the credit they deserve for their songs.

I last saw them at oxegen 2005, and I had a laugh, and wrote them off as culchie cider rock.

I'm sad it took me nearly 20 years to realise I'm completely wrong but happy it happened at a time when they seem to be getting their flowers. Hopefully they keep running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

Ah tbh their delivery always seemed a little on the cringe side. Maybe it's because most of us didn't want to recognise their writing for what it was: superbly accurate commentary on rural Ireland, and us denying our culchie selves. 😂

Advertisement