Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks for the heads up, didn’t notice when the email reminder arrived the other day.

How cool was that for a bit of Monday night stoner metal?

Lead singer, Dave ‘Dixie’ Collins, plays to the crowd. Guess which one was stoned. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Not a patch on last year's gig was the conclusion myself and my mates came to. Performance not as good, nor the sound. The delayed start didn't help matters either as i was knackered. The singer from Tooms was acting like an absolute knob during Weedeater's set to the point he almost got into a full on punch-up. Also, i'd much rather the Grand Social than Fibbers. It was ok but definitely below last years levels. I did get the 50p that Dixie chucked into the crowd at the start though!

Nadja in Academy 2 on Thursday night is next up for me.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SpringThing

Online ticket sales have ruined it. It's nearly impossible to get tickets that aren't extortionate. Presale access is a joke Bring back queueing up outside Record shops I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Fanirish

I was in three different presales this week for Sabrina Carpenter tickets, Wasn't many in front of me and no tickets to be had. I don't see the point of having presale if it's not exclusive to less people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Fanirish

well it is by its very nature open to less people than general free for all.
    So it does have exclusivity but it’s no guarantee of tickets. Only way to guarantee presale is if capped presale access to 3000 people across all the various presales but then 3 mobile wouldn’t like that as they spent millions on sponsorship/presale access for its customers.
    sabrina team wouldn’t like it either as they want presale access linked to buying her album/merch etc.

I'm just bitter I didn't get any and showing my age wanting to bring back queueing in HMV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Don't think I ever queued. I did spend endless hours sitting on the stairs on the landline trying to get through to an agent with my mam's credit card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Great evening of rock music in The Academy tonight, with The Warning from Mexico. Female (3 sisters) rock/hard rock band. I discovered them accidentally couple of years ago, around the team of their previous album called Error. Straight forward rock sound, kind of old school, they remind me a bit of the "hair rock" of the late 80s - Lita Ford and Vixen came to mind. Many of their songs are around the 3 minute mark, so they played 16-17 songs in 70 minutes. Great vibes from the quite diverse crowd, looked like close to sold out I think. I went with the intention to buy their vinyls if available - alas the only option was a signed LP at 70 euro, so no thanks.

Proceedings for the evening started with the local indie rock band Emily 7, who were fairly good. Nothing we haven't heard before but they do it well enough and worth keeping an eye on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I was wondering who the The Warning were as i made my way downstairs to the Academy 2 for

Nadja, A husband & wife guitar & bass duo with a table of effects separating them. Variously described as Doomgaze, Ambient Doom or Dreamsludge you get the picture; 50 minute set of low end drones and effects driven guitars. They were ok but i never felt truly engaged with it, my mind wandering constantly throughout the set. I've seen them before and i'm not sure i need bother catching them again. Three acts for €18, coupled with the four for just under €22 at Weedeater on Monday night is pretty good going though.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement

Thought about going but two heavy nights of rock in a week might have been too much. Found this playlist instead. Whoever is the author, we have very similar tastes in music……

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1EIfzX4FVTX05P?si=s9_W5_JITaytapoZB8bbeQ&pi=e-5uNoRBPeT8qN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was also at The Warning, was great fun, it was great to be in a crowd that was fully engaged with the band on stage, these days most gigs I go to the c*nts around me seem to think they're at a picnic and don't even pretend to be interested in the band, a fully wired crowd makes it a whole lot more enjoyable.

The drummer is brilliant, she looks like a gust of wind would take her away, yet she knocks the sh1t out of those drums, they seem to be on the rise, if they come back it probably will be a bigger venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭tommythecat

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Wow. The Warning was a great night of rock, went thinking they might be good now I'm fully converted.

Strange to say but 28 quid like I feel like I ripped them off the way things are gone gigwise ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭T.V Eye

Are those playlists tailored to your own listening habits?

"Noise Rock music picked just for you"

I was listening away and then The Gun Club and later Slowdive came up and not sure I'd call either Noise Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Yeah I think they are tailor made based on listening habits. I get things like The Wire's The 15th which is closer to indie pop than Noise Rock.

I got the 15th by Wire too. (Which I've probably played an ungodly amount of times before )

I guess there's something in that song that makes the algorithm think it's suitable for that playlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,944 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nick Masons Saucerful of Secrets in Cologne. Some songs I thought I'd never see live.

Really great gig. Amazing energy for an 80 year old man. And a drummer too obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Saw them play at a Jazz Festival - Umbria Jazz, Perugia - a few years ago. Extremely enjoyable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭xyz13

Didn't expect them to add Ireland to tour.

Bien faire et laisser dire...

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Stillill42

WWaxahatchee absolutely brilliant in Vicar Street tonight. She's a superstar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I friend of mine said similar about the gig in the Empire in Belfast the night before.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrk75

Totally….saw Katie solo last year but so good to hear the Saint Cloud tunes and the new stuff with the full band..and what a great band! Her songs are great and her amazing voice just lifts them to new levels. She is an absolute star and can do no wrong right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Idle Discourse at The Workman’s Celler (not the real workman’s).

Apart from the photographer, who was paid to be there, I was the oldest by many decades. Enjoyed it as much as anyone.
    They invited me backstage. 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

And in a huge shock to absolutely no-one, the US leg of this tour has been cancelled 3 days before it was due to begin. No word yet on if the European shows are still going ahead.

https://variety.com/2024/music/news/lauryn-hill-fugees-cancel-tour-2024-concerts-1236098008/

Gas.

She is blaming low ticket sales on media stories about her tendency to cancel shows. Chicken and Egg stuff.

I'd be shocked if the European tour happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Bonnie Tyler in Leopardstown last night. Great gig. She's still rockin'

Advertisement