Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane McGowan RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The only song he ever had banned was about the Guilford 4, fairytale has never been banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,805 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Was it not the Birmingham 6 or maybe he had songs about both.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Sad but not really surprising.

While everyone is glorifying the substance abuse aspect of his life, I wish he was more "boring" and we got more music out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

"If I should fall from grace with God" is surely up there as one of the greatest albums of all time

It was about both

There were six men in Birmingham

In Guildford there's four

That were picked up and tortured

And framed by the law

Nice story about it here

https://www.balls.ie/the-rewind/guildford-four-encounter-was-a-true-mark-of-shane-macgowans-greatness-580461

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

Gutted to hear that news..... have fond memories of seeing The Pogues in the Mean Fiddler in Willesden in the late 1980s/early 1990's.

Brilliant songwriter......

Gonna load up 'Red Roses for Me' album on Spotify on the way home as tribute to him.... where it all started for me!

RIP Shane.... and thanks for the music!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,312 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

definitely , I always just had a loving for Rum Sodemy and The Lash though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

By "uncensored" the person is presumably talking about the removal of the word fag*ot in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Saw the Pogues live in the SFX in 1985. Rip Shane.

I'll be playing my Rum Sodomy and the Lash tape tonight on a loop!

Which is a bit ridiculous as the word ‘ faggòt ‘ has 4/5 legitimate different dictionary definitions….

But I never heard much call to censor a lot of rap music that basically champions and advocates violence and murder and actually denigrates women and gay people but heaven help us if a trad punk band would use the word faggòt, once in a song…

Mc Gowan…

“The word was used by the character because it fitted with the way she would speak and with her character. She is not supposed to be a nice person, or even a wholesome person. She is a woman of a certain generation at a certain time in history and she is down on her luck and desperate. Her dialogue is as accurate as I could make it but she is not intended to offend! She is just supposed to be an authentic character and not all characters in songs and stories are angels or even decent and respectable, sometimes characters in songs and stories have to be evil or nasty to tell the story effectively. If people don't understand that I was trying to accurately portray the character as authentically as possible…”

• Advertisement

You mean the word you can't say on tv/radio before 9pm anyway?

How much uncensored rap do you hear on BBC radio at 1 in the afternoon?

You hear quite a lot before the watershed.

There's a hill in Cork just outside Blarney named Fàggot Hill..maybe if standards are to be exercised that should be changed :) or maybe just the signs covered up… ‘ in the afternoon ‘ 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

RIP

All the Irish greats are leaving this world, 3 big deaths in the music scene this year

Shane was a unique talent, he was a lot more intelligent than he looked. Fairytale of new york and 'Haunted' are amazing songs

Wish I got the chance to see him live, his tribute show in 2018 in the NCH sold out in seconds (the same day Dolores O Riordan passed away)

Those Olympia Christmas gigs were supposed to be out of this world

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭DaithiMa

The Pogues were one of my first favourite bands. This news has really hit hard today,

Rum, Sodomy and the Lash and If I Should Fall From Grace With God two of the best albums of all time for me. What a lyricist he was, The Old Main Drag and Sickbed Of Cuchulainn are pure poetry. Turkish Song of the Damned dark and brilliant. So many more quality tunes.

RIP Shane, one of a kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

I think it's ridiculous as well but look these are the times we live in, you can watch people being bombed to bits on the news every evening but a decades old song uses a word that might be deemed offensive and that's totally unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This one seems a bit sadder to me, he was always on TV when I was a kid and Fairytale in New York is basically Christmas to me.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

If you believe that, you'll believe your namesake has a small penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I guess he lived life on his terms. His music will live on and ive no doubt we'll see a repeat of the late late special from a few years back. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Fairytale was very carefully crafted

That surprised me but made sense later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Used to really look forward to those Christmas gigs, saw them all, great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,805 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Saw his Brixton leg of one of those Christmas gigs. Was absolutely brilliant and on my birthday too which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

From the maker of the show itself... It won over new audience to the Pogues including myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

"I'll see you then as the dawn birds sing

On a cold and misty morning by the Albert bridge"

RIP Shane

Sad day for Ireland and the Irish diaspora in the UK, he was a very high profile member of a community often forgotten or disparaged by people here.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭rainagain

At the Vinyl weekend in Kilmainham six years ago, Shane was interviewed by Dave Robinson - Victoria Clarke talked more than Shane, but I'll never forget Shane's cackling, hissing laugh, just brilliant. A great lyricist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He won't see another one.

And I am not sure the world will see another like him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Shane never had any money up until Fairytale of New York was released, that didn't matter, people who knew him would buy him a drink anyway as he was a sound smart fella. My brother shared a flat in Kentish Town way back around the time the Nips split up. Anyway buying drinks is not proper debt, you shouldn't buy a drink for people you don't like.

He obviously had plenty of money later on, so wouldn't think anything of spending it either. I didn't have a drink with him since before he moved back to Ireland, last time down in Holloway, probably 15 years ago. He was in great form then, although obvious the abuse was taking it's toll. I'd rather remember him as a knowledgable, learned intelligent lad that had time for everyone.

Sad to see him pass, hope he has a great time in the Otherworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Just watching back my Self Aid VHS of the Pogues.

They were great in 1986.

Probably an hour before they came on, Dave Heffernan asked him how he felt about creating jobs for unemployed young people.

Shane replied "I'm fuccking here aren't I?"

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd say that it has been modernized by now, but there was a program made with Shane showing Mary around the home place some time ago,, and that's what I was going by. There's a bit on TV tonight showing a pub that Shane frequented a lot, Phillys Bar, It's the last pub on the road out of Nenagh on the way to the Silvermines. And of course, the regulars spoke highly of him. But these kinds of houses were still pretty common in the 50's, 60's and 70's. when I was growing up, and I remember them very well. There's a friend of mine who owns one, and it's the same as the one I've described, it's on the protected buildings list now.

Advertisement