Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Thomas returning Incorrect Item Received

Options
  • 30-11-2023 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Would just like to clarify something.

I bought something from Brown Thomas that was on sale, they sent me a completely different item. I don't live near a physical store so to return by An Post will cost €4.95. They say this will not be refunded. Furthermore their terms and conditions say items on sale will not be refunded, only a replacement offered.

Since the sale item is now long sold out, if I do pay to return the incorrect item, will they offer me a voucher for the sale price, or will I have any input into the replacement item they pick? Maybe it's just easier to keep the incorrect item.

Comments

If you didn't receive the item you paid for, you are entitled to a refund. Do a chargeback on your credit card.

Don't pay to return something you didn't order. Tell BT they can have the erroneous item back, but they need to arrange collection (via courier) or pre-paid postage. It should not be a condition of the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Totally.

OP -Best to call rather than email so you can clearly explain the situation- then follow up with email quoting the persons name you spoke to.

Chargebacks are easy enough but your bank will tell you to discuss first with retailer and you’ll need to show evidence that you’ve done this, hence the written evidence.

It should be an easy sort though- I wouldn’t be fretting about it

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fichtl

Just as an update. I quoted them the advice received from CCPC and demanded a full refund and for them to arrange a collection of the item. I even quoted them sections of the relevant act. They tried ignoring me but I demanded a refund again and informed them that I would commence a chargeback. Almost immediately they respond with details of an arranged collection that they would pay for. I worried that once they got the item back, I would have to chase them down for the refund. Days later I received a refund for the item cost but no refund for my shipping charge. I started a dispute on PayPal for the shipping cost and after a few days the case was closed and I received another refund of the shipping cost. Basically had to work very hard to get all of my money back. Keep in mind I ordered one thing and received something else, and they wanted me to pay again to return the wrong item. Lousy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You would think BT would know a sale doesn't affect your consumer rights and distance selling law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

It is obligatory for a store to refund the postage charges or provide a free return where the item is faulty or where the error was made by the store.

Where a replacement cannot be sent, a full refund including delivery charges must be made.

Very surprised that a store like Brown Thomas cannot train their staff to understand a very basic part of online retailing

• Advertisement
Advertisement