Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding filters to 120mm and 140mm fans

Options
  • 30-11-2023 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So, I'm making myself a NAS PC and I found a nice new-old stock case with more hard drive bays than I can afford to populate, and fans blowing over them to keep them cool. The problem is, these fans only have grilles covering them, and my room is a dust trap. Is there any easy way to make these fans filtered on the cheap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You can buy dust filters in packs or rolls for cheap on Amazon.

E.g. 10 pack of 120mm for €8, 4 pack of 120x240 for €10, etc.

Or repurpose some torn stockings/pantyhose. As long as they're taut and not hitting the blades, it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 McRex

I've seen some on Amazon, and it seems like a lot of them wouldn't work too well, the ones that are just a thin sheet of plastic with a load of holes punched in it, or just a plastic mesh with millimeter sized holes in them. And I don't think I've got any stockings around, or anyone who'd let me have theirs. Is there any particular kind of filter I should be on the lookout for on Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have ordered some 180 mesh nylon filter fabric from China and some neodymium bar magnets, with the idea being to cover the air inlets with it. While shopping for the bits, I came across many sites selling magnetically attached frames with mesh on them for the same purpose and sheets of filter foam, but the hole sizes on that looked too large to me.

180 mesh may be too fine, but I recently serviced a dehumidifier and put 300 mesh stainless steel mesh in it's filter bay and it pulls air through that with ease, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Feel like you might be overengineering that problem. You can get magnetic filters already, I use them at home. If its at the intake where a fan is, then its goes to get the majority of the dust. Nothing wrong with them, they aren't any better or worse then what you get with cases. Keep in mind, too fine of a mesh just restricts airflow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iYueshare-Magnetic-Cooler-Dustproof-Computer/dp/B092S4W94J/ref=sr_1_3?crid=CDACWD5CD4EK&keywords=140mm%2Bmagnetic%2Bfan%2Bfilter&qid=1701440115&sprefix=fan%2Bfilter%2Bmag%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-3&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4 McRex

The ones you linked ended up being cheaper and looking nicer than the ones I was going to get, so thank you for that! I know a fine mesh will restrict airflow, but given this case will have 5 air intake fans I'm not too worried about reduced airflow. Everything everyone said so far should be enough info for me feel like I'm now heading in the right direction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement