Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best temporary solution while waiting for Fibre

Options
  • 30-11-2023 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Moved into a new build. Ducting is there for FTTH but will need to wait on openeir to sort their system out before we can order anything, told it could take a while.

We need internet to work from home and also want something to let us stream, download so would rather a true unlimited usage cap.

We've looked at mobile BB and they're all tied to their fair usage policy. Starlink may be an option but how will installation look, will we have a massive pole in the garden? Not a great way to win over the new neighbours!

Anyone have suggestions here, we really need internet sorted ASAP.

Beverly Hills, California

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not familiar with providers if you are based in :

However , if you are based in Irl, doublecheck three - as far i know their €20/28d PAYG is still unlimited. If coverage is not an issue you could get set and running in a few days. I am with them for over decade, making over TB pm sometimes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I’m possibly in a slightly similar position. Difficulties upgrading my house to fibre, blockage in a pipe or something that may involve getting council involvement.

Long story short, I may need something temporary for a few weeks. So looking for a 30 day no contract kind of solution. Virgin had nothing when I rang them, I’ll try Three as mentioned above. Cheapest option ideally. Any other suggestions?

• Is Virgin available in your area OP? When eir say they’ll take a while they mean a while.. at least with Virgin you’d have something a bit more reliable and much faster than MBB.

Worth checking your eircode on SIRO website as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Kiwi John

Had same problem ,waiting 2.5 yrs for openeir to connect even though they are in the estate.

Tried mobile broadband but that was very unreliable and now with regional broadband a line of sight set up.

There mast is on a nearby hill and it works very well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

if your on the right area a 3 prepay sim might get your through its all about reception i you get from your window ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Thanks all. No Virgin Media unfortunately. It is in the area but they're not using their own infrastructure and instead using SIRO. I'll have all that available in months-years but need something reliable for now so have gone with Starlink as it doesn't have a contract like much of the 4g options and the reviews on speeds are all in the 100-150mbps down range so that'll do us nicely until I can get fibre in.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Buttros

I was in a similar situation recently. Went into an Eir store to see what options I had. Gave me a 5G modem going out the door and then a month later called me to say fibre was available. Installed that and I returned the 5G modem. Moved over to that contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

The 5G in my area is patchy and the mobile packages available all have a 12 month contract unless you choose something with a very low download allowance per month.

I'm hoping that Starlink at 65pm (plus the near 500 equipment and install costs 😓) will be something only needed for a year or so until the development has fibre to the home ran in. My neighbours outside of the new development all have 2gb fibre to the home available and i'm on the same line out as them but unfortunately until OpenEir/SIRO/BT?/ register us as actually existing, we're stuck.

I've put in enquiries with providers and even had a friend in BT Ireland escalate a case with OpenEir but there is no juice worth the squeeze for them to speed things up at the minute (it's a small development).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@SortingYouOut I'm hoping that Starlink at 65pm (plus the near 500 equipment and install costs 😓)

You can get refurbed gear from Starlink for half the price.

You could also pay €20pm (I think) on top of the €65 and not have any equipment cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement