Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Augme

Here's one example. It's a comment under the climate story above about Leo.

Lovely. He is brown not because of his nationality but from licking Europe’s hole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

"Animal Farm" anticipated the decline of the Soviet Union and how "revolutionaries" become no different to those they wished to replace. This quote is quite apt for a lot of the Irish media and its relationship with politicians:

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

The Irish Press was the DeValera shares scam. Shareholders invested but DeValera screwed them on their shares. The Irish Independent was IN&M before it was bought in a firesale by the Belgian company Mediahuis. The largest shareholder, having displaced Tony O'Reilly, until the firesale was Dinny O'Brien. He also owned a lot of Irish radio stations through his Communicorp company. Bauer, a German company bought them. There was a serious problem with cross-media ownership that went unaddressed for years. The Examiner was bought by the Irish Times.

There has been a decline in trust in the legacy media. The Irish Times used to sell over 100K copies a day about ten years ago. Now, it probably sells less than 50K. It is merely a provincial viewspaper with delusions of grandeur. The sales of the Indo and Sindo have also declined. Many of the problems that affect the Irish media are due in no small part to the decisions in the 1990s to switch from news reporting to commentary because news reporting required skill and was expensive whereas comment was cheap.

Over the years, the legacy media came to think that it is their place, with the new puritans preaching from their pulpits, to dictate what people should think. The falling sales and declining credibility says otherwise. The majority of Irish people do not buy a daily newspaper.

Publications like Gript are catering for a niche market for which the Irish legacy media does not. This kind of market fragmentation has been been evident outside of Ireland for years. Ireland's media market is a small one. But that fragmentation is inevitable. The ease with which publications can be set up on the Web has put the legacy media at a severe disadvantage when trying to deal with smaller and more nimble competition and it seems like much of the legacy media is on a slide to oblivion greased by their dependence on print.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Wrong! Most of Gript's content is tailored to appeal to its readers and prospective readers. It is far more tailored than other publications but the reason may not be immediately obvious to the Dunning-Kruger types who think that they know about Journalism.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭applehunter

In those bad old days like today… you would get a temporary ban from commenting for being an edge lord.

Thankfully our great government are going to bring in laws that will allow the police enter this person’s abode, seize his PC and demand all passwords and ultimately have him get a custodial sentence.

I think people will take that on the chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Well Iona institute got funded by Russian Oligarchs

Likely that a lot of Gript funding comes from US

Their board is still made up of a lot of the Youth Defence families. I think Niamh Ui Bhriain was the Chair and Niamhs Sister Ide O'Hara is on the board. Interesting reading all about Niamh and Ides Mother here

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not strange; their "journalism" is deliberately designed to whip up hatred against certain groups.

The editor has openly allied himself to a lot of the extremist far right in this country.

The moment that awful awful tragedy in Parnell Street happened Gript sent out "journalists" to deliberately whip up fear and anxieties.

What they publish isn't "journalism" - its pretty much about 50 different ways to hate black people, refugees, Muslims, immigrants, trans people, feminists.

Its extremist ultra conservative bile designed to whip up fear, anxiety and bigotry.

Terry Pratchet

Exactly - their remit is about whipping up anti immigrant hatred

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Yes I agree a bit over the top but the Groot is reporting a fact that an Irish law is being discussed in a committee in the states . I wonder is the independent, times etc reporting this or is it hidden with a reference in the letters page.

Have you been living in a cave for the last 5 years? There has been huge amounts of far right threats, intimidation and violence.

Threatening to stamp on the Presidents head, threatening to kill the Taoiseach, threatening to burn out refugees in finglas, threatening to burn down hotels in Athy and Wicklow. Burning down hotels in Donegal, kildare, Leitrim. Burning out tents where refugees lived in Dublin

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Bullshit again, can you show us these "hate" articles against black people, refugees etc ? No one allowed read media that doesn't support your view on society ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So she didn't say that he was guilty of a hate crime, thanks for confirming.

Appearing in a Grift podcast is the opposite of relatable.

You're both right. Most of Gript's content is tailored to appeal to its readers and prospective readers, both of which are focused on the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

But gript are reporting it as if it it is not over the top. Just so they can get the headline:

US COMMITTEE HEARS IRISH HATE SPEECH BILL AMONG THE WORLD’S “MOST DRACONIAN”

Rather than Rupa Subramanya, a Canada-based journalist says some mad stuff.

It's so transparent what that site is doing.

Hard right columnist says something Irelands laws. OK. 😑

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Even the "trusted" media can be shockingly disingenuous and will spin stories for all sorts of reasons every day of the week. They are ruthless.

We trust our establishment too much in this country. It echoes our historical tendancy to bow down to authority figures like the priest, the doctor, the guard. We really don't like kick up a fuss in front of the neighbours, so we just accept what they tell us. We deserve what's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’ll treat that as your typically ungracious admission that you’re wrong and a stubborn inability to apologise.

Never change Andy. You’re a treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Indeed. Relatability is a concept that’s very thin on the ground, isn’t it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

That's your opinion, different people relate to different things. Is that hard to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Not a good time for John McGuirk at the moment given he was also recently found out for being an Israeli stooge given the Israeli Government paid for him to tour the country.

Makes a mockery of him being “independent” and his mantra of not trusting or accepting official lines on things… unless it’s the Israeli Government who pay, then you just accept everything they say… which is exactly what John does.

Perhaps you should direct your post to the person who claimed she was relatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Hamachi made the point that she had implied he was guilty of a hate crime, which she did, by claiming his words were incitement to hatred, and that’s why the media didn’t publish them. It’s not clear that she imagined any publication would be liable for incitement to hatred and that’s why they made an editorial decision not to publish them, but any media outlet would have been unlikely to be found liable as sections 2, 3 and 4 of the Act do not apply in circumstances outlined in section 5b.

It’s why I provided you with the video itself and a link to the Incitement to Hatred Act, because Kitty was familiar enough with the Act to make the claim she did, and offer that as a possible explanation as to why the media omitted that part of the victim impact statement by claiming that he was entitled to his views and the media has a responsibility to not report views that are incitement to hatred, and he is now a hero to the far right.

Hamach isn’t at fault here, nor is Ryan Casey. It was Kitty who offered a rather patronising narrative which smelled awfully like BS tbh, fuelled by her own views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Gript is for racists, wankers and inadequates.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's dog-whistle stuff, they're not saying 'nonwhite people are subhuman' or anything that would likely fall foul of hate speech laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

By Jesus that is one quare salty article 😂

Ironic that the author would invoke Matthew 7:5 while writing for Gript 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Do we accept that it is within the media mandate to decide what facts should or shouldn't be reported or is their role to report all of the facts ?

The selective reporting on the statement from Ryan Casey is a story in itself.

And the admission from that IT "journalist" / activist speaks volumes

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

applehunter threadbanned

Advertisement