Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The simple fact is, if you relied on Gript for your daily news coverage, you would walk away thinking all serious crimes were committed by immigrants and that the state is deliberately not punishing immigrants for crimes they regularly commit because they're too 'woke'

This is on purpose and this is why it's far right wing propaganda and not a genuine news organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

Totally agree but it’s also the case that if there is growing perception that main stream media is peddling a certain narrative where challenging discussions are suppressed then Gript increases in relevance.

(apologies in advance for non replies as much like the Irish Times editorial direction threads like these attract the ignore button like moths to a zapper.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There isn't though. This is just gript marketing.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Regarding the Kerry rape/stabbing incident, the Irish Independent did report on it a few times - at the time of the guilty party, Robert Bily, being held in custody, being charged, appearing in court, etc.

However, I can’t see an article where they report on his sentencing last week, where he got 11 years in jail.

It would be interesting if they didn’t report on what sentencing the guilty party got, after covering the story all along. However, all their other stories about the Slovakian man in question, Robert Bily, were before Josef Puska, another Slovakian man was sentenced for Ashling Murphy’s murder, and the admission at that time of certain news outlets that they suppress certain information as they feel it’s not in the public’s interest. It suggests it might be another story that may not be published, and more information being suppressed, for fear of being seen to cause anti-Slovakian sentiment perhaps?

Post edited by DebDynamite on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

In any quantifiable sense, the far right is a tiny rabble of barely coherent cretins in this country.

The media, and some vocal commentators seem hell bent in assigning the far right a level of influence and competence far beyond the observable reality.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Interesting that you only to hear your views in an echo chamber

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I've linked to other serious crimes in the area from the last week that got little to no coverage nationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭archfi

What's happening is the media, politicians and invested civic society and vocal commentators are assigning the nebulous 'far right' moniker to anyone (ordinary citizens,ie non-activists) who question/have serious concerns about the current approved view.

The enemy, in their eyes, are ordinary citizens who hold the disapproved view.

Note how every protest or objection is framed as 'anti-immigrant' which is entirely a fiction and actually could be assigned to far right views held by a tiny rabble.

Open your mouth and that's what you'll be labelled as on here, on RTE, on VMTV, in the papers, in the Dail and Seanad.

There's no escape from it - I'm currently listening to Brendan O'Connor show and every one of those approved viewpoints has been hammered home again.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Cormac Lucey is on the Brendan O'Connor show now and he's always been right wing populist.

Who do you want on? Philip Dwyer? Gavin Pepper? Gript favourite Dara O'Flaherty? The lad who set the Garda car on fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I think that you mentioned that you are in the UK. Go look up AggregateIQ, Cambridge Analytica and their activities during Brexit. Gript used the services of AggregateIQ. (Think that it even made the Irish Times.) Gript's content is quite tailored to its audience.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In other words, waste my time doing your research for you.

Citing organisations that work to undermine democracy isn't the argument you think it is.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

You think it is just marketing. It is much more than that.To put it in simple terms for you, Gript used AggregateIQ to profile its audience.

I'm not sure that you understand the argument or the point. You may have heard of personalised advertising. (The kind of thing that Google and Facebook do with their online advertising.) This kind of profiling comes close to resulting in personalised content. The cached version of the AggregateIQ demo website was quite interesting in that respect.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

I understand perfectly well. What I'm hearing is that it's tailoring its content to racists and misogynists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What are you talking about "spin". It was misinformation. It gives them the benefit of the doubt by saying it was that and not dis-information.

There has been well known and very wide ranging research done into the increasing use of social and other media in Ireland, to sow dissent and serve an agenda linked with Far right (actual far right organisations in Europe and the US )

It involved the Gript, X, Facebook and other platforms which have used people's willingness to believe anything that engaged them (videos " experts" expounding about something, "studies" even if fake ) especially if it aligns with their pov.

Covid denial, fake treatments, anti vaccine, now anti LGBTQi and migrants, anti Ukrainian anti NGOs helping these, (the last two have been linked to Russian bots and trolls) anti government, anti democracy..

No real journalists or social commentator is unaware of this, so they have a responsibility if nothing else to their profession to ensure that everything they print is factual accurate and in the public interest, and that their sources are rock solid.

These people in Gript did not, and do not do this.. They are bloggers of a particular type, nothing more, and certainly.. not.. Journalists.

@nullzero it is discussed because, while the local far right are a cretinous group of individuals, they have links and are supported by much more organised far right and anti democratic influences via social media especially.

One only has to look here for the multutude of posters that come on site very well equpped with all the latest conspiracy theories and narrative and disappear quickly after they have been moderated for their setting up of thread after thread to discuss their particular agenda against site rules.

Only to pop up again after being banned (sometimes the same day even!) to restart under a new username.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Way too simplistic. This kind of targeting of the topics that interest or motivate its audience identifies various triggers. It creates a kind of emotional feedback loop. People like yourself who dismiss Gript's audience based on your own biases are just the other side of the coin to Gript's audience. This is the danger of this type of profiling and analysis because it could equally be used to identify your biases and triggers and feed you content that you would find agreeable.

Regards...jmcc

I was listening to a recent David McWilliams podcast last night which had an interview with political scientist and polling expert Kevin Cunningham. Cunningham specifically mentioned that consumption of Gript correlates strongly with far right beliefs.

Certainly anything I've seen online and in the real world for years would do nothing to disprove this claim, quite the opposite in fact, it would strongly back him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Gript keep talking about the "establishment", but their definition of the establishment appears to be the entire Dáil Eireann and all of the Irish media. So yes, they are are very much at the extreme end of things and catering for an audience at the very fringes of the political spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sure anyone hardly needed the opinion of a political scientist to come to that conclusion - that a strong correlation exists between consumers of far-right media and far-right beliefs? Gript’s consumers aren’t just those who hold far-right beliefs though, there’s a far stronger correlation between Gript consumers and being a miserable, bitter, self-interested ballbag with no actual principles to speak of.

Gript portrays itself as a Conservative media outlet, but that’s according to their own ideas of what it means to be Conservative, not the widely accepted definition of Conservative beliefs, principles and practices. It’s for this reason that Gript has become, and will remain nothing more than a haemorrhoid on the arse of the media in Irish society - small, but incredibly annoying. Good article here on how the Irish far-right came about, why they’re still about, and why they’re likely to remain insignificant in political terms -

https://expertise.ucd.ie/why-is-irelands-far-right-so-small/

McWilliams, whom I have no time for, was far more accurate with his first tweet -

°°°°°

The far right are orgainsed by groups on social media? To do what exactly?

Orgainse scumbags to riot? They don't exactly require much encouragement for that unfortunately.

The way things work in Ireland now is that of a bad thing happens we're told the far right were at least in some way involved if not fully responsible. Evidence of this is never forthcoming however.

Call me old fashioned, but if somebody makes a claim it should be substantiated at some point.

The waffle about Telegram chat groups being utilised to bring about the destruction of Irish society isn't being proven at any turn.

When I see people like the Garda Commissioner or the minister for justice pushing this "it was the far right" narrative it just seems like a very opportune excuse for their failure to enforce law and order in this country.

We have years of observable failure of our criminal justice system to deal with violent offenders to the point where we have criminals with hundreds of convictions walking the streets at all times yet once something negative occurs we're expected to forget that and instead believe it was caused by the fascists who are seemingly so prevalent yet cannot be observed.

We've had a multitude of supposed far right incidents this year alone, has there been a single fascist telegram user brought before the courts?

Far right activists do exist in Ireland but the reality is that they're not capable of the type of achievements they're having attributed to them, we also have far left loonies who are never called out by the media at all.

It feels like logic has been abandoned in this space, we're seeing the far right in our cornflakes in Ireland these days.

Glazers Out!

Oh I wouldn't argue any of that and I agree you don't need a political scientist to recognise the bleedin' obvious, just thought it was of interest given the subject matter.

One thing I also agreed with him on though is that far right sentiment in Ireland gravitates towards independent candidates. We have a lot of Mattie McGrath types in the Dail.

I would argue that what is commonly branded as "conservatism" nowadays is in fact nihilism while parties on the Fine Gael to Labour/Green/Soc Dem spectrum are in fact much more conservative that supposed "conservatives" in the real sense of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Hillfiend

The constant characterisation of Gript as "far right" or extremist is laughable. It is unashamedly right wing in its outlook and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The rest of the media is incredibly monotone and all adhere to the same drumbeat of progressive liberalism. The fact that normal conservative talking points seem so jarring to the public just proves how deep the hegemony of progressivism runs in the media, and how it was allowed to go unchallenged for so long.

All media bias begins with story selection. Gript's story selection focuses on the areas that the rest of the media won't touch with a bargepole. They have a very small staff of 3-4 journalists so they can't cover all news and have to pick their areas. The most sacred of sacred cows is the Establishment's beliefs around diversity and immigration. The Establishment is fanatical in its vision of Ireland as a sparky rainbow multicultural utopia, and they act like it is our manifest destiny to achieve it and nothing will get in its way.

Anything that challenges consensus opinion is verboten. That is why we are having a full blown moral panic about the "far right" . Like our own version of McCarthyism. Nazis under the bed everywhere we look.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are any of their staff actual journalists though? Any actual journalistic training or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We live in a multi party democracy. The agenda of Gript and its readers appears to be that they want laws around immigration and human rights changed to whatever they want, even though they don't seem to have a single elected TD in synch with their interests. Then they try and use their own isolationism as proof of a political and media "elite" who are controlling the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Gript aren’t just right-wing though, nor do they have any interest whatsoever in normal Conservative talking points. How for example, in the name of all that’s holy, is their article about An Posts HR policies, a normal Conservative talking point? It’s not even on Conservatives radar, it wouldn’t be, because there are far more important things to be talking about. That’s why virtually nobody is interested in talking about the things Gript claims nobody is allowed talk about - nobody is interested in talking about them!

Making out that they’re some forbidden or verboten topic of conversation is how Gript manages to make it’s content appeal to miserable shìtehawks who aren’t interested in Conservatism or right-wing politics, their only interest is in themselves and their own ideas of what Irish society should be in order to make their lives bearable. Gript is only a salve for their misery, that they choose to externalise and blame a nebulous concept as “The Establishment”. If the Establishment exists, it only exists because of Conservative principles being upheld, and what Gript and far-right weirdos try to fester is anarchy, which is neither conservative, liberal or progressive, but simply a rebellion against an established society.

The equivalent in the UK is GB News. These media outlets don’t provide news, they provide content, and cheap content at that, for which Gript at least imagines is worth a premium subscription!

Another thing about Gript is their modus operandi and rhetoric is imported wholesale from the US. Constant right wing culture war "talking points", a cultivated air of menace, pretence that they aren't far right when they obviously are, highly aggressive speaking strategies including speaking over the top of their opponents when they are platformed just like US and Israeli right wing talking heads do, the same stock American cliches, repeated over and over and over again, in the true fascist style. They use large amounts of anonymous trolls and bots, like all of far right media does. Look at the comments under their tweets, huge amounts of such to give the impression they are the "centre" of debate.

The rest of the west is going to implode ultimately because of the concerted strategy by the American right wing to dumb down political discourse there. This dumbed down American right wing shlt is being imported and rolled out by their minions on the ground in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Pretty sure that AGS are monitoring what is being said and by whom on social media a lot closer then you are. If Garda management believe there are risks coming from the far right, I would be more inclined to believe them, over the anonymous internet users claiming there is no far right in Ireland

I look at these Telegram groups frequently. The stuff in them is insane. They're absolute firehoses of hatred and conspiracism. Some people on these groups were pushing a conspiracy theory that the stabbing in Parnell Square and the riots afterwards were all organised by the Gardai themselves. There was no push back against such crazy conspiracism, there were no people who said "ah cop yourself on, would you". It's all grist to the conspiracy mill.

But sure look at how pro-Gript posters responded when Gript printed that bullshit story about an innocent Algerian. It was everybody on earth;s fault except Gript themselves apparently.

By far the biggest problem with US media is that they treat politics as a soap opera, as a dumb horse horse race, and refuse to properly call out the insanity of the American right-wing for what it is. They constantly use false balance. False balance is an absolute cancer in journalism now.

This fault has unfortunately transferred across the Atlantic too. Even after the riots we still have people who can't see the wood for the trees and refuse to recognise the threat of the far right.

A poster mentioned trans people. Anti-trans campaigners like Posie Parker have open links to actual Nazis. Posie Parker herself put up a profile picture of herself on Twitter in which she was wearing a swastika around her arm.

Graham Linehan openly calls those who disagree with him "Nazis".

°°°°°

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Seriously ....read the post I write before answering and then come back to me .

I never said what you ascribe to me and so cannot discuss it argue that point !

Where did I say that " the riots " were being organised by far right organisations elsewhere ?

Although some of our lovely far right clowns do have connections with far right in Europe , UK and beyond it was their own 'troop' that organised that .

And yes , you vehemently deny, that although small , it is an issue not only on this thread but others.

So the research that points to an increasing issue of disinformation by those factions on social and other online media is nonsense according to you?!

As for proof , so glad you asked ....;)

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/far-right-influence-growing-in-ireland-social-media-study-finds/a706433132.html?shem=sswnst

I could link to more as basically nearly every other news outlet carrying this, but you still think somebody is making up stories, lol.

Here is a link to the study .....

Hope it doesn't put you off your cornflakes, null!

Advertisement