Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is shipment protection costs legal?

Options
  • 30-11-2023 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I was on a site today looking to buy an item.

At checkout there is a banner and a tick box to select "Ship Shield Protection" it costs €9 and they have text below it stating "By Deselecting Shipping Protection, we will not be liable for lost or stolen packages"

Surely, as a paying customer, Once I pay for the item it's the sellers responsibility to get it delivered safely

This is an Irish website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Never heard of a scam like this before, you're dead right when you say it's the sellers responsibility to ensure you get what you paid for at the agreed price including delivery.

They contract the delivery providers, there might be a justifiable extra charge for express delivery but they can't charge you twice for ordinary delivery.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭HorseSea

If they are a business they are responsible up to delivery of the goods to you, regardless of what disclaimers they make. Up to them to chase couriers if there is a problem - not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,628 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would avoid a company trying this crap entirely - this is likely to be small claims if you don't get the delivery as they'll try claim that nonsense is a get-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

The site is https://pogocycles.com/

I didn't order from them. I found a better/cheaper place after looking around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,429 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is a poor practice, but I don't think it's illegal, provided you are told about this charge before you commit to buying. A seller can impose an extra charge for delivery (and this is common), and there is nothing to stop a seller offering different delivery options (e.g. standard, express, insured) at different costs. Nor is there anything to stop the seller contracting on terms that his obligation is limited to consigning the goods to you, and once they are consigned risks pass to you.

I agree with others; I wouldn't buy from this business. But as long as they make these fairly lousy terms clear to you before you buy, they are doing nothing illegal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not the first time there's been a thread on boards about the practices of this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

was going to buy from from them but during checkout they have a “tip” page to show your support for the team. Made my excuses and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭ Ryann Dry Victor

I was gonna donate to Wikipedia the other night but after you put in the amount you wanted to give their was 3 more screens after that asking if you were sure you didn't want to give more and did i want to give that monthly etc and i just said gtfo.

Clowns

Advertisement