Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washer Dryer smell

• 30-11-2023 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a washer dryer but when I use the dry cycle the laundry has a weird smell from it. It's not horrific but it's definitely not fresh and it drives me nuts! There is no fresh laundry smell after it, the wash cycle is perfect.

Any suggestions? I don't have the space for two separate machines...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! The off-smell from clothes on a washing machine is a buildup of slime (bacteria) on the seals and internal surfaces of the unit and it's especially a problem if the unit is used back-to-back and not let dry out and when more lower temperature loads are run.

A dose of a washing-machine cleaner on a hot (60 degree ) wash will shift it but make sure that you treat and scrub the seals as per the instructions as that's where a lot of this slime resides. Also if you do run a lot of lower temperature loads then try to run a high temperature one on cotton towels every few weeks. It should be less of a problem with a washer-dryer unit, but it's possible that it too isn't fully drying out. Hopefully that resolves it for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We've gotten this occasionally from cheap washing machine detergent. Hasn't happened in a few years, but it was Aldi or Lidl stuff which it happened with. If what 10-10-20 suggests doesn't work, it might be worth trying a different product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's a good point as we found it worse with some biological washing liquid and not so much with other brands or non-bio. But at that time we also had the added factor of a small child adding to the biological fauna. I do think that swapping the brands around from time to time is good guidance anyway. Same applies for softener.

Advertisement