Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Heathrow Airport accommodation & terminal transfers query

Options
  • 01-12-2023 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

looking for some insight into what the learned travelling folk would do, or have done, in the past. If you were flying into Heathrow from Australia at 8.00pm (into T3) and departing at 6.45am the next morning to Dublin from T5, how would you best advise to go about it in terms of accommodation / shuttles / taxis ? I'm reading some horror stories in terms of extortionate taxi costs within the surrounding Heathrow perimeter.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I used to stay in the Radisson Blu near Heathrow. There was an airport Hopper Bus that went every 30 minutes there 24 hours a day. I never needed a taxi. I think it is about £5 per person one way, but can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

There are at least a dozen hotels along the A4 Bath Road north of Heathrow, regular local buses including 24h services run along there to the airport.

If it is a Friday or Saturday night the Piccadilly line runs 24h and there are a cluster of hotels very close to Hounslow Central tube station.

Pay for either with contactless card.

I would prefer a later connection to Dublin and get a decent nights sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

I stayed in a Premier Inn on the Bath Road before. I just got a regular bus, it's a short journey. I don't see any need to get a shuttle bus unless you have a lot of luggage perhaps.

I agree about getting a later flight to Dublin if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Check out the price of the Sofitel at at5; it’s part of the terminal so no need to rely on transport early in the morning. Your bags can either be checked through or else you can check them at T5 in the evening. The train between T3 and T5 is easy enough with 1-2 cases each.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

+1 for this ^

I would avoid relying on shuttles given the turnaround time <12hrs. You can spend a long time waiting for them at the terminal to get to the hotel (in the middle of winter) and then in the morning it will feel like they take an eternity to get you back the next morning, which means a very, very early start.

We had to do this last year just before Xmas in the opposite direction - we missed our Heathrow connection by 10 min in the evening due flights delays caused by very cold weather. Airline rebooked us and put us up in hotels via shuttles. Should of saved 1.5 hours by getting taxis to the hotels instead. Still didnt get much sleep and was wrecked next morning, still having to face 22+ hours to Aus via Singapore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Great info, thanks all 👍

Advertisement