Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

An upgrade for cold in the JMA too. The JMA had, in recent runs, gone for a fairly weak push of cold that barely made out north coast. Out to 132hrs below. The UKMO is excellent though the eroding of the Greenland High is a little concern. The GFS op run was a complete mild outlier. Ensembles should support cold

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

ECM decent out to 140 though that bulge from the heights regressing into Iberia could do with not being there. There is always something.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

Heading to slider low territory by 168. Minus 5 850s over northern third of Ireland at this point. Strong heights retained over Greenland

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

ECM has the right idea about the likely outcome/pattern, but the finer details will change. Also, you do not necessarily require very cold 850s in the case of a slider low pushing up against cold air in mid winter. I have had heavy snowfall here in Clare when uppers were -3c. Dew points have to be right of course but evaporative cooling can also be a factor. Anyway, that's a discussion for another day.

In meantime, at 192hrs less cold uppers will not be a concern here. ❄️

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

216hrs and very cold airmass over Ireland with a potential snowmaker inbound. Whether this happens or not, charts like this are a rare sight in Ireland for mid January

Mad, mad run with heights in place in the northwest. For consistency sake, I'll say it's prob an extreme cold outlier....

Please everybody, do not post a snow chart. It's pointless and only feeds Dublinlive.ie and galwaybeo.ie and if doesn't happen, Met Eireann get blamed (because they make the weather). Lots of changes to come yet between now and then. Very much in FI Territory.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

ECM is going for a southerly direction for the Low which is better than a slider low coming in from the SW which usually have Atlantic energy pushing in milder air whereas as a low from the south approaches much slower and has the potential for a longer period of snow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The final frame of the ECM is interesting a real battleground event probably a snow to wintry mix event for us, however those damn heights over Spain/Portugal are proving very stubborn and it appears in the final frame that the heights finally show signs of lowering over Iberia, if only we could go on another couple of frame.

Blocking over Greenland is decent but the main problem is those southern European heights as always. This is still 10 days away so more changes will happen and more runs needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

The 216 and 240 keeps us on the right side of the low as it pushes into the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

I'm just here to say the 12z ECM is quite acceptable 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

One can dream.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Definitely some nice developments today if we can look past the GFS horror show. GEM ensembles further improve chances of cold. Icon is starting to look very good and the ECM still good but we could do with the cold been pushed south a bit more as we are close to a rain event but are just about to the right side of the cold.

The KMA looks to be a bit of an outlier with a massive winter storm.

KMA tries to turns things milder but it never really gets mild and the cold starts building again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

Re heights over Greenland, obviously they start to fade deep into FI however I think there is a decent chance that the heights could improve for that range over the coming days prolonging the cold spell.

I would like to see lower 850 temps from Sunday and for the cold to come in quicker but beggars can't be choosers

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’m starting to side with the ECM now and I believe it’s calling things right in the mid term

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Is it just me or is trend with HLB always; insane blocking appears in FI, slowly gets watered to nearly nothing by day 5/6. Then slight upgrades between days 3-6 to some moderate blocking.

Clare (410ft asl)

The UKMO MOGREPS is pretty definitive about a northerly airflow by Monday. Generally dry but that's not to say one or two troughs will not appear. Only 1 of the 17 perturbations going for mild.

NAVGEM retains heights and is cold in an unstable airflow

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

We'll be seeing this on DublinLive tomorrow 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Stunning ECM with a lot of disruption at the end. The best thing is to not overdo reaction to the "best" output or the "worst". A lot of potential in the next 10 days but a lot of detail to be ironed out.

I'm confident meself 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fantastic. A red warning for some . The only concern is it could get washed away soon enough. It would be great to see a dump of snow hang around for a couple of days. Anyway the reality maybe that the system is further south in the end, so possibly no snowfest for many.

• Advertisement

Yellows over Greenland please! I like that NAVGEM run. I like it a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Would this kinda be like storm Emma in March 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Casual little "I'm confident myself"... if the frog is ready then I'm ready.

Clare (410ft asl)

The ECMWF mean is very similar to the op run for next Wednesday. The vast majority of members are also showing minus 5 or lower 850s by Monday. The ensembles will be the coldest yet overall. You'd have to wonder how the very well supported UKMO and ECM are so different to the GFS.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Yes, what’s important to me after a good dump of snow is a good hard freeze under high pressure for a few days or even a week after so we can properly enjoy the snow on the ground! Something like Jan 1982 would be bliss..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement