Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yeah I kind of feel the same way. I am just going to try and enjoy next week. If another chase begins, I am not going to invest in any juicy charts unless they are showing at t-48. I have a feeling if heights do build again it will be similar to what we have seen with this chase. I don't think the Pacific High inflating too much is the real cause of all this, I think the real driver is the lack of a major ssw. As far as i can see The vortex stretching or displacing leads to messy outcomes and the vortex moving back and forth to the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

As weather forecasts are constantly changing and bbc , the met office and many amateur weather forecasters have you tube channels to inform us of these changes why don't met eireann have such a resource updating each day.

This is the future not some poxy forecast after the news. Look at everything now its all constantly giving updates by video. In Ireland we need to go to the UK Met Office for this resource coz our own Met Office has not the resources.

It's a bad sign too when you go to YouTube and find some amateur weather forecasters with much better videos than met eireann could ever do.

As for this spell if we could go to Met Eireanns youtube channel and see the watered down cold spell we wouldn't be half as disappointed because we would have daily updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭squonk

Speak for yourself. Today was a cracking day. I’d love a month of this. Unless it’s seriously nailef down I’d gladly skip snow. More often than not. It ends up being a slushy mess. We’ve had day upon day of Atlantic mild muck for months and any decent cold dry break is fantastic..

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

In Fairness to Met Eireann and only for them , they are conservative most of the time and dont really forecast more than 5 days in advance for very good reason.

Everytime a chart shows up very cold or very hot weather , amateur forecasters are running to social media with potential outcomes creating hype and expectations.

They do this to be the first out with the forecast but its too unreliable.

5 day forecast should be the max.

Met Eireann are never too far out in fairness.

Leave it to the experts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Stay on topic please , this thread is for discussing charts in the unreliable timeframe of +T120

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Latest ICON for Wednesday - Rain. The end

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: these charts are under 120hrs, you might copy the post and put it in the right thread please, we cant move posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

I've screenshotted the 240 ECM charts, don't think I've ever seen the -35c Isotherm at such a low latitude, that's bone chillingly cold for Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Exactly. Dry 2 weeks in January - I'll take it every single year. I did 28,000+ steps yesterday and got loads of jobs done. Making up for all the rain at Xmas.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Round 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Is that a polar low is see before me. Roughly two weeks off. Should be on the money 🤔

The GFS is good at sniffing out trends.

The Vortex seems to be splitting in two again. Will the Arctic high be our friend for once? I doubt it, but the zonal onslaught should be halted at the very least. Anything else would be bonus territory. I think without a major reversal of zonal winds we will just see a repeat of this week, but hopefully with more snow this time. I will be delighted if I am wrong and we see a 1050 high smack in the middle of Greenland!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Very true Nacho. Isnt it a sad affair when we need a full blown SSW to get a bit of snow! I think we will do better in round 2. Might not need a true SSW please god the damage is already done to the PV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Back to general model watching for me in the hope that something more interesting pops up during February particularly for the snow starved east and south which hasn't seen a flake of snow all winter and we are now half way through the winter and the clock has started to tick.

A mostly cold and dry few days to come with a chance of frost most nights until Thursday. Turning much milder and more unsettled from Friday with the Atlantic making a fairly swift comeback, another possible Atlantic onslaught. One can argue did the Atlantic truly leave us in the first place all weather over the past week since the deluge spell ended, has been modified by the Atlantic anyway and this cold spell is also heavily modified in severity due to the Atlantic.

Next week will begin very mild with long fetch south-westerlies and plenty of low pressure around and could be quite windy at times.

Deeper into FI there are signs that things could become very windy and potentially stormy. Temperatures will generally be close to double figures most of the time but brief spell of cooler weather will alternate with the mild with wintry precipitation possible on north-western hills.

On this GFS run we get a brief northerly toppler but this probably wont verify and if it does any cold will be very brief and get flattened off by the Atlantic.

We finish up with mild south-westerlies once again in an overall very zonal and active Atlantic pattern which will most likely extend into the beginning of February.

In terms of precipitation it will remain completely dry for most of the country until Friday evening with Donegal, Sligo and Mayo likely to see showers this week with a wintry mix, snow over high ground and to lower levels inland.

We finish up very wet with high rainfall totals especially in the west and most of this falling in the final week of January once the cold dry spell has ended.

If this verifies it looks like the deluge pattern is going to make its return with no shortage of wind and rain events from next weekend.

The period from 20th January to 25th January looks particularly wet with spells of heavy rain on all days quite well supported. From 26th January things remain unsettled but perhaps not as overly wet. Staying mostly mild throughout the period from 20th January to the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Artane2002

In fairness, there was no hope of a sunny week last week. The cold airmass embedded within that easterly travelling over the warm sea was bound to generate a lot of cloud. Even when that source was cut off, the cloud was going to remain trapped under the high. If anything, we got more sunshine than I was expecting. We would have been better off with the high overhead the whole time instead of going as far north/northeast as it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The direction it came up from didn't help either I'd say. Always better to have hp coming down from the north for a better chance of clear weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

With this type of post I'm guaranteeing Gonzo gets minimum 3cm.

Well placed to maximise cold inland temperatures, zero maritime modification and get the last effort of any decaying troughs pushing south

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There is a slight sign that the upcoming Atlantic rampage may not last that long. This unsettled period see's both the NAO and AO going strongly positive so blocking goes away completely and the Atlantic powers up with plenty of low pressure. However it looks as if both the NAO and AO quickly go back to neutral as we approach the end of January with maybe a hint that they could go negative again in February.

The Atlantic will dominate for at least a week but maybe signs of it going less active as we approach February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Does anyone really care at this stage. The NAO and AO only a couple of days back were going negative. The fact is that all the models are highly inaccurate beyond 7 days, something of course we learned years ago not just now. We should just stick with Met Eireann, who come out of this whole online debacle looking very very wise!! We haven't even had a frost here in about 5 nights...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I feel like Wile E. Coyote in here chasing cold weather that always escapes.

• Advertisement

We have been extremely unlucky after so much great potential with too many things going wrong for us. I still believe we are in with a shot for February as blocking will come back. Of course we will have to see if the blocking when it happens will affect us in any great way. Today is 14th of January so from a model watching perspective we still have a full month to play with before the ships start sailing around February 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

That's not true, @JanuarySnowstor

The NAO has been trending towards positive for a over a week, going above neutral for around the end of the coming week. It was spot on.

Post from Gonzo on January 6th for example.

And previously on January 4th

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

These 850hPAs for Tuesday week 😭

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Looks like a Carbon copy of the same period of the last 2 winters🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

This big talking point this morning looking at ECM, UKMET and GFS should be the potential for a very serious storm next Sunday/Monday.

A fairly nasty looking dartboard low on the 6z for this weekend, could be a real soaker if this verifies and possibly very windy for the south.

It may give a slight temporary dusting in midlands and over high ground.

Potentially another storm just 2 days later, hopefully we do not get a direct hit with this one.

We could have multiple storm warnings during the second half of January, even if we don't things look very unsettled indeed from Friday into the weekend and on into next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

Mainly due to brutal cold in North America spilling out into the Atlantic and adding fuel to the Jetstream. Deja effen vu. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Never mind your ECMs and GFSs, the CFS is where it is at!! Deep into FI for fun we have 2 cold outbreaks in Feb -

Look familiar???

Could it be? But might be leaving it a bit late!!

• Advertisement

It would be nice if that first storm tracked even further south in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement