Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

06z GFS just rolling out seems to have an Easterly forming well in FI, will post properly once the run is finished. Its in the bag....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

For when Exactly? hope it's still within first 2 weeks of February 😀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's a bit of a failed easterly if it verified. Not long fetch with winds in from the east over central Europe but sourced from the SE of Europe, too much mild air mixing.

Gonzo is probably right, its as per below, better than nothing...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The EC46 is going for an extensive cold spell beginning mid February and lasting into 1st week of March with winds in from the north initially and becoming more easterly as we head towards the end of February. Right now I'm not buying into a 3 week cold spell. We've been here before very recently with models showing weeks upon weeks of extensive blocking only for us to end up with a few cold days in the end and very much on the edge of cold and the Atlantic coming back very quickly. We shall see.

The first half of February still on track to be very mild so any cold spell we do get in the second half is going to have to be a direct hit major cold spell to unravel the warmer than average temperature anomaly that is likely to be set up first half of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think I have model fatigue syndrome. Prior to the last cold spell I was following every run. Any run I see showing cold now I expect it to be scuppered by iberian heights or a butterfly flapping its wing in Chile causing less mountain torque to happen somewhere which in turn prevents us going into the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

After the last spell I didn't really expect anything till 2nd half of Feb anyway. So I haven't been following the models too closely of late.

Ye I'm only taking all this with a pinch of salt hopefully we get snow ❄️ as I'm in Dublin for the next 2 or 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

GFS op run is looking interesting with attempts at blocking highs in the Atlantic. A change is certainly afoot post first week of Feb. Negative AO and neutral (at best) NAO.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

Massive temperature anomaly over Canada:

It must have some downstream effect for us in killing off the jetstream for a while anyway? Am I right in thinking our februarys are usually dominated by strong lows associated with the cold spilling out from Canada and cranking up the jet?

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

www.x.com/wolfeeire

I'll keep an eye on models but not getting excited by any means but it's a start

Clare (410ft asl)

Nor me. GFS picks up trends very well at a distance for the reasons we have mentioned here before. It is worth noting how the GFS is already picking up on the negative AO and neutral NAO for the period.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Similar madness to the temperatures in parts of the southern hemisphere last summer ( their winter). If these events aren't serious red flags I don't know what are.

Clare (410ft asl)

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

The ECM follows the GFS op by extending heights over Greenland and flattening the jetstream which would be in keeping with the neutral NAO outlook.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

What's causing this ? Sudden stratospheric warming or just fluke

Clare (410ft asl)

I would say a strong El Niño in the eastern Pacific Ocean is a primary cause of these conditions.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Well I’ll take the hype on this one, I feel it’s the last of chances, and I feel there’s something brewing just right in this set up! Im aboard the train 😁❄️

Surely also climate change in conjunction with el nino is part of the reason.

• Advertisement

Oh of course I had forgotten that ,wonder if those warm temperatures will have a knock on effect with our weather be it mild or cold 🥶 I don't know

I'm not sure they've actually laid the track for the train, let alone built the train, really let alone sold tickets and let anyone on board yet! But best be early I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

Are you sure steam has even been invented 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Some quite interesting evolutions of the low pressure swinging our way around 8th and 9th Feb.

The ECM and GFS yesterday on the 12zs went with a slider and a Greenland high, other models have it bowling right through us as does the GFS this morning. However the CFS has another evolution again, the low is forced north which produces a Scandi high and then a prolonged easterly from around the 21st of Feb into early March:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

Got a box with some wheels drawn on it.

Taking it out later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I'm having a crap day but this made me smile 🤣

Clare (410ft asl)

Cold marches into eastern and northern Europe toward the end of the first week of February. Temperatures remaining above average for Ireland and Britain during the same period. On Day 10, IE/UK remain much milder than other Northern Hemisphere locations at the same latitude.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

The Canadian GEM model signals a turn to colder weather from the end of the first week of February. The jetstream takes a more southerly trajectory allowing colder air to seep south. Very much in line with the forecast deep negative AO and a neutral NAO.

The snow cover chart based on the op run. The ensembles will be out later and the likelihood of the op run being a cold outlier are high.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

At this stage I feel February for the most part will be mild and Atlantic dominated. Second half of February looks less mild with more average temperatures but still will probably be Atlantic dominated for the most part with maybe a glancing blow of cold from the north. I'm not expecting much for February at this stage. This could easily end up being another completely snowless winter at least here in Meath and most of the snow starved east, midlands and south. No doubt there will be flakes in March and April.

The majority of our proper cold and snowy periods were often picked up in the models 3 weeks prior such as the December 2010 and February/March 2018. At the moment I'm seeing very little sign of anything remotely exciting in the models. If there was something really exciting for mid February into the 3th week of February we would be seeing it already picking up by the GFS. All I'm seeing at best is 24 hour topplers from the north with the Atlantic rolling back in. Hope i'm wrong but I broke all my straws about 3 weeks ago and will buy more for next winter when the time comes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement