Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Hope you feel a bit brighter soon 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Heads up Dazler, your never alone. My little one's due for her assessment this month but I wouldn't change her for the world whatever the result. We're all different.

Anyway, the east wind will always come at some stage in early spring. Just a matter of under what ingredients comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Interesting evening with charts upgrading bit by bit. The 18z gfs and control really are quite snowy!! A watching brief for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Quick check at latest gfs. Much Less snow for the north compared to previous runs. West Connacht the sweet spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Met.ie long range for the record. No mention of any cold for next week but mentions colder conditions signalled beyond then.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Before February around the end of January I figured it will probably be a mild enough month with a short cold spell midmonth

Now I think mild till Wednesday with snow for many late next week. Then mild again. I think wel likely get another cold spell end of February start of March. Possibly the coldest of the lot.

So three snowy spells for Sligo this Winter possible. That's not bad for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Good luck Dazler97 and best wishes for a speedy recovery!😊

Clare (410ft asl)

Not much to be getting excited about with the model output this morning. Any arrival of cold spell is increasingly being pushed out and its longevity shortened. Some places could see some snowfall later next week, particularly the north half of the island (Ulster especially favoured), but any cold seems to get washed away and replaced quite quickly by zonal Atlantic westerly conditions. It is all very typical of February in terms of a transient mild to cold to mild setup. The second half of the month offers potential for a more easterly or northeasterly component to our weather. The Gfs control run hints at that again this morn.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I thought the ECM at around t 192 looked interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 24,037 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Daz may you get an abundance of snow to gladden your heart, the brighter days aren't far away.

From a fellow traveller.

I hope I get snow while I'm here , ye brighter days are on the way

Clare (410ft asl)

Gem is interesting. Bit of everything in there but I wonder is it picking up on something regarding heights building to our northwest and northeast. The ever present Iberian heights still in place

The gfs meanwhile, keeps cold in place for a week from next Friday and also builds heights to our northwest. A flat NAO is forecast for the period so something interesting may be brewing.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ros4Sam24

Just when things were trending in the wrong direction. Long way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Surprised more charts haven't been posted tonight. Model fatigue? Pessimism? Both understandable. Ecm looks decent for next weekend. Charts for Saturday. Not saying I buy it but at least some hope for now.

Clare (410ft asl)

The ensembles across all models are watery enough on a decent cold spell. The op runs have been more impressive than the means over the last few days. As things stand, some wintry potential for northern half of Ireland later next week. This could downgrade or upgrade in the meantime. I note the complete absence of much colder members on the ensembles which is never encouraging 5-7 days out from potentially cold weather.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

According to the gfs 18z the Cork snow shield will be broken and we are not giving any of our snow to the northern half of the country!!

Seriously though don’t think down south we will get any snow next week just colder weather when the cold digs south on Saturday. I’m more interested in what happens after that, the background signals were indicating blocking come mid Feb but there was no sign of much on the models but now there are some cracking setups being modelled for that period so not without hope!

In the meantime here is the gfs 18z:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The majority of model runs I've seen keep the cold and snow to Scotland. We will probably get some low level cold for a day or two next week but not expecting much. We are getting towards that time of year where we need -8 uppers and colder for a reliable cold spell to deliver something. Alot more sunlight now compared to mid January for example and with each day that passes the sunlight and duration of it is increasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Clare (410ft asl)

The ensembles have a long way to go to suggest we are in for a cold second half of February. I think with a negative NAO and AO we may start seeing changes in this regard in the coming days

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

Thursday is looking interesting for higher ground in Ulster as a low pressure system encounters a colder airmass in northern counties.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very interesting runs this morning!! There's certainly potential next weekend. Synoptically it's not great but the charts keep coming up with a swathe of snow across the country. I doubt it will work out but worth keeping an eye on it

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

The 0Z ECM is a very interesting run. Next Friday/Saturday could be quite a snow maker for many parts of the south

Met Eireann says: FRIDAY and NEXT WEEKEND look like being cold with sunny spells and some wintry showers. Day time temperatures are likely to range from 3 to 6 degrees. The nights will be cold with frost and icy stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Actually MT has given his most promising forecast of the winter I'd say...

"...From FRIDAY to SUNDAY 11th, frequent falls of cold rain, sleet or snow are likely, with highs around 5 C (8-10 C southeast) again, details to be worked out closer to the event(s), but since yesterday's discussion, the trend appears to be towards a more certain interval of sleet and snow late Thursday and Friday, but uncertainty continues as to details for next weekend (10th-11th), with the same range of outcomes in play, probably most likely would be generally dry and cold with locally heavy wintry showers in northeast winds, and highs around 4 C...."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Liking some of the charts for the end of next week. Definitely the potential increasing for some snowy goodness ❄️ 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

After next weekend there is a growing signal for blocking to take hold. But lots of scatter in the positioning of high pressure.

Interesting at least and potential for things to fall the right way for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The GFS control is what we want in late fi

Pity it could not happen a bit sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hopefully we will see a big shift in the models over the coming days, right now cold looks limited to about 2 days before turning mild again and any precipitation we do get is very marginal. A long way to go before I'll start getting excited.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement