Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40W tube heater running cost

• 01-12-2023 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All

Question is >> Cost to run a small tube heater (40W) for a day,

Can any one show me a calculation to get an approximate cost ?

It is in a 8 x 6 wooden shed ,with insulation (bubble foil) all round and an extra layer of 19mm board lining on all walls floor and ceiling, It is used for a bird house and with the cold weather my temperatures is down to 3 c in the day and looks like dropping below freezing in the night, we live fairly close to the sea.

The heater will be used to try and keep the bird room around 5 c + minimum , and I have a bathroom fan extractor installed for the summer months to bring the temp down, this at the moment is blanked off with a sheet of Perspex.

Thanks in advance

George M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you were to piss in there you'd heat it up more than a 40W tube heater.

You'd get 25 hours out of a unit of energy so whatever you pay per unit will be the cost for 25 hours.

What birds? We've never heated quails, chickens, pheasants or guinea fowl and they survive fine.

Have you thought of using an infra red heat lamp? A 250W one would go for 12hours (all night) on 3 units of electricity.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's even if it's on full for the duration. If it's on a thermostat then the energy use might be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 George M

Hello

And thanks for the replies ( That's even if it's on full for the duration. If it's on a thermostat then the energy use might be less.)

It has a thermostat, I was not shiur of the energy usage leaving it on all day I will run it for 24Hrs and see what temp. it reaches.

George M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I used one of these for taking the edge of in a well insulated outhouse/shed without any other heating, worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Target106

I use a 100w tube heater on a thermostat set to 5 degrees in a bird room 8' x 4' and it works just fine. These tubes can fail though and if I was doing it now, I'd run two 50w tubes on the same stat. If one fails, you don't have a total loss of heat which could be catastrophic on a cold night.

Infra red lamps have a high failure rate. If you use these, definitely use two.

For a 100w heater, get your unit cost, divide by 10 and multiply by 24 to get your daily cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 George M

Well some good info there.

Got set up with a 12hr running time 1800 till 0600hrs and have maintained a temp of 7/8 c with thermostat set at 50 % and well happy with that for my birds. they seem comfy enough despite the cold outside.

Thanks all for impute

George M

Advertisement