Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank draft

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

• What exactly is the Polish bank telling you is wrong with the draft? Some of the comments on here relating to "domestic" drafts would seem to suggest that the Polish banks are unable to send your draft for collection.
    • You need to ask the bank if it would be willing to reopen the account, but since you closed down the accounts and you no longer meet the criteria for the bank to do business with you, that may not be possible. So before travelling to Ireland, make sure they are will to do this for you.
    • As I have pointed out before you cannot deposit a draft into any account, it must be sent for collection, although a bank make at their discretion grant credit against a draft. You could endorse the draft over to someone else and they could seen if their bank will accept it. But before you do, make absolutely sure they will accept it, because one you endorse it over to another person you loose the right to have it cashed at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You cannot endorse a bank draft imo. It is not the same as a cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ksia

The bank is telling that they are not accepting bank drafts or checks. Thats their rules. Apparently it changed last few years.

So endorse means give it to somebody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes

But I do not think you can endorse a bank draft. You can endorse a cheque not a bank draft

My suggestion is you ring the branch where you got this bank draft from, explain the situation and ask for their suggestion.

Question: why did not just arrange an electronic transfer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Qrt

I reckon the draft was produced so the account could be closed there and then. Branch transfers from BOI to other banks are still done manually, form filled out, sent off to be processed, it would take a few days for balance to be brought to zero. Bank draft would have meant it could be done there and then really. Really unfortunate situation for OP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sorry I forgot to come back to you on this. I checked this out with a former colleague of mine here in Switzerland and it’s bad news! It is practically impossible to get Polish banks to accept bank drafts and even if you do find one the is willing to accept it they will charge you an arm and a leg to do so.

The only idea he had was to see if you can open an account with a German bank close to the Polish border. Go there in person, open the account and lodge the draft to it. And once the funds clear do an electronic to your Polish bank.

Advertisement