Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old wiring to new wiring on light fitting

Options
  • 02-12-2023 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi everyone, I just bought a new light fitting, I removed the old fitting which has old wiring 1 red 1 blue & 2 black, the new fitting has 2 points of contact N & L. I assume the red goes to L & the blue goes to N but what do I do with 2 black?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hobby farmer

Post up a picture. Not all fittings particularly bought from Amazon etc is suitable for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Chopper2

Thanks for the interest @Hobby farmer

Got this fitting in an electric supplier store

Was thinking I just need to connect a connector

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you had taken note of what went where when removing old unit, I'd imagine it would be straight forward now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Probably a wago to adapt wires to new fitting

So you've no before pic😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Tow

The two black probably (along with the blue) went together, but there is no way anyone on the Internet can be sure, since you disconnected them!

Are there other lights in different rooms no longer working?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hobby farmer

Is the light controlled by two switches? Did you note where they were connected before disconnecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

Those will be for switches, one outgoing from hot red and one coming back to the actual light. The way you have it now will be permanently on with no switch control at all.

Presumably there was a ceiling rose there originally - which would have made it clear what was connected to what. The red should definitely not be connected to the light fitting directly (unless there is a switch on the light). You will need extra joining blocks or waco blocks to correct it. Waco are better because they are fully encapsulated and can simply be stuffed into the ceiling void or the back of the light fitting, joining blocks should be enclosed into a case. A junction box is another option if you have the space for it.

100% but unfortunately not, worse still, it's a fitting I got for the mother-in-law 😪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The way I connected it (as in pictures) works when turned on. Other fittings in the same room/kitchen are working. I didn't check the rest of the house.

Controlled by one switch. Unfortunately not this time, rookie mistake.

Will have to do a bit of guess work tomorrow

Another light in same room/kitchen are working, I didn't check the rest of the house. Yet.

To be continued tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Have you a voltage tester?

If you have then use that from now on. You obviously have the live and neutral in the light if it is working right. I would say the two black cables are two neutrals lopped for somewhere else or something else. Black used to be the old colour used for neutral and red was live but you have no red here strangely. Its like someone ran in new cables and left the old ones there. Maybe they have no use at all. If everything in the house is working then just make sure they are not live and put them in a connector.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement