Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service sick leave

• 03-12-2023 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All,

I have been out sick for a three weeks, Still sick and not ready to return to work. Probably not this side of Christmas but I am worried about it being an issue and/or affecting promotion. How many weeks sick before it is a problem? I am certified unfit for work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

If it's a single absence for a long duration that is certified that is fine. Looks much better than uncertified days here and there.

Just be aware you'll be referred to the CMO after 5 weeks, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

I don’t think that’s strictly true.

Once you go past a particular number of days, you’ll become ineligible to compete unless the nature of illness is such that it’s considered “non-recurring” e.g. a broken leg.

I can’t recall the number but it should be outlined in relevant circulars available on the intranet. If you go past this number with a single potentially-recurring illness (eg influenza), it could be years before this is disregarded for eligibility purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Max 56 days in a rolling 4 year period, unless the sick leave is discounted.nThe limit is inclusive of both medically certified and self-certified sick leave.

Sick leave is only discounted for non-recurring illnesses, eg. a broken bone. If it's the flu for three weeks, it won't be discounted.

In a continuous absence, weekend days are counted towards this limit.

Advertisement