Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctorate in Governance IPA - Worth it for civil service?

• 03-12-2023 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone.

I am an AP level civil servant in my mid 30s who is considering starting the Doctorate in Governance by the IPA. Has anyone in this forum had any experience either with the IPA or with this course in particular and would you recommend it? Any other info would be great too

I would like to apply for PO in the next 5 years (and would be interested in upskilling and learning the subjects on offer anyway)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭griffin100

Personally I think an MBA or a similar type degree would be of much better benefit in the long term. I don't see the value in doing a doctorate of this type for career progression purposes.

If you are really interested in governance rather than a general qualification like an MBA then Smurfitt do a Diploma in Coperate Governance (and if you do two more Diplomas from a menu you get a Masters in Management Practice). Ulster University also have a part time Masters in Management & Cooperate Governance.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

Do you want to work in an governance sector for the rest of your career? If not, I woukd reconsider doing the course. Also, actually work examples will be the difference as to whether you make PO or not. At that grade, educational qualifications aren't as essential and woukd never be sufficient as an example in a interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Governance is central to a lot of PO and A/Sec roles, where you're responsible for governance of agencies or of major policy schemes or more. So it would seem to be relevant. Like any doctorate, there would be a huge amount of work involved over a long period, so don't underestimate the commitment. 

Look out for AHCPS training on preparing for PO promotions, some useful content and contacts there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭sekond

I don't think there is any harm in showing you have an interest in broadening your skills when applying for PO - but I wouldn't think that a doctorate is necessarily the way to go. I'd look at some of the professional diplomas offered by the IPA - the are often funded by your department and are in areas of interest to the civil service.

Given the time and input that it takes to do a phd (anecdote I know, but every single civil servant I know who has done on has taken unpaid time off or an extended career break to complete it) it might be more effective to select a couple of the professional diplomas in relevant areas to your work. Nothing an interview panel likes more than you being able to show initiative in learning something that you then applied to your work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭The Mulk

€8,250 per year for at least 4 years, that's some outlay. Is your organisation going to cover it all?

I'm doing a MA with them at the moment, in year 2 currently. There's a lot of work and self directed learning at this level, I can only imagine the depth and breadth for a PhD.

One good thing i noticed is you achieve a MA after two years. Are you sure you want to pursue this direction?

• Advertisement
Advertisement