Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Star Wars is awful. Is there any good sci fi out there to replace it

Options
  • 03-12-2023 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I haven't enjoyed Star Wars since Return of the jedi. The prequels were bad but at least it had a story to tell. For good or bad.

The sw cartoons, tv shows and the sequels suck. Indiana Jones likewise has sucked since The Last Crusade.

Whats has happened movies. I have to say i enjoyed Abrams star trek movies. Theres so much crap on Netflix.

Are there alternatives out there that i cannot find on Netflix etc.

Are there any underground movies that aren't to arty or trying to ram 'the message' down everyones throat.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

Rogue One is a fantastic film and closes a huge plot hole. Find Andor series on Disney as it's set in the same timeline and is very well told as a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Expanse is a great sci-fi show on Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 24 storydove

The last three movies by Denis Villeneuve are great scifi. Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 and Dune. There is a sequel to Dune out next year. The book Dune was one of the inspirations for the original Star Wars. And there is a spin off tv show about Dune that I think is planned for next year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

+1 on this even as a stand alone war movie I think it's excellent. As closing the circle on the ANH plot hole it's brilliant.

The 3 most recent sequels I found awfully tedious. As an example, over the course of 3 movies Finn's story arc was so much wasted opportunity. Compare that to Bill Burrs 15 minutes or so in the Mandalorian. The disaffected Storm trooper was in those 15 minutes, far better character building than 3 movies with Finn with a similar basis, of ex-empire.

On the TV front, I've yet to watch Boba Fett, Kenobi or Ahsoka, but I have watched Andor and really liked it. The small stories of rebellion are IMO stores of potential for story telling.

I do think Clone Wars & the bad batch are decent, and with the return of Ezra in Ahsoka? There is hopefully some decent storytelling on the way again.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 blindmelon

Thanks guys,

I've actually watched all of the clone wars and Disney shows. I enjoyed Rogue One (being the only exception) but thought Andor was a challenging watch. I hated the star wars prequels but Disney star wars is really hard to accept as canon.

I heard the expanse is good and i havent seen dune. I'll give em a try,

• Advertisement

The original Dune film does a better job and telling the complete story but the acting is poor. Put up with that and it’s good.

The newer Dune film is excellent but if you didn’t know the original story, it misses a beat or two in that case. Dune part 2 in cinema soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think the new Dune works perfectly for both book readers and non-readers. Sure, you will have a much shallower understanding and experience if you don't know the story (e.g. I don't think you will learn why is spice so important from the film), but it's still great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What plot hole was this? I've not seen Star Wars in ages.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

You must be living under a bush :)

Ever wonder how one shot of a laser from a x-wing managed to blow up an entire Death Star? The loop is closed in Rogue One. Best film of the new generation by a very long way .

From another thread. I thought it was apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,952 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Dune 2 not releasing until march 2024 here zzz.

A couple of recentish sci-fi films I liked that not seen mentioned yet.

The creator - Gareth Edwards stuff always worth a watch (he did rogue one, still sole director credit on it but Tony Gilroy became involved seemingly...). Looks spectacular best watched on a big screen.

Oxygen - very underrated survival thriller/Sci-Fi french film by Alex Aja.

Waiting for Dune 2. Will be going to Blanchardstown iMax for that.

The Creator was ok but was a Mish mash of a few films, avatar, terminator to name a few. Could have been better.

Haven't seen Oxygen so must look out for that. The plot looks like the Cube which was a great little film. The Platform was a take on that and watchable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I thought Clone Wars cartoon from 2003 was great. Didn't think it sucked at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Plus one for Rogue One. It's the only thing Disney has done that actually feels like something resembling the old Star Wars.

The rest of their movies are awful, especially the second one of the new trilogy, it was just horrific.

The Mandalorian was good until as usual Disney ruined it with their own politics. This is the biggest problem with Disney running it, they've shoved so much politics into it it's unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

At least I lived through the good years, BSG , Stargate and the tail end of Trek and Dr Who , I cant think of anything post 2015 thats worth a rewatch, I havnt watched Deep Space 9 in 15-20 years so that might be one to go back to

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The expanse.

Great sci fi series so I’ve heard, I’m on episode 4 season 1 and I’m really getting into it and I love my sci-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

The Expanse is absolutely brilliant, every season gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I watched it but found it too slow, would make DS9 look like a high octane romp in comparison

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

It's not a thrill a minute for sure but when it comes to sci fi story and world(s) building there isn't a show in the last 10 years even close. It's extraordinarily clever and well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I found it started slow - I think I actually left it after 2 episodes for a few months - but from about 4 or 5 episodes onwards I couldn't stop watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how is that a plot hole? they explain it in the first Star Wars, and again in ROTJ where the Empire conveniently builds a new Death Star with the same design flaw. "We'll put a shield around it this time, nothing could possibly go wrong!"

I liked Rouge One but it does suffer from the same problem as the prequels in that it's telling a story we already know the ending to.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 blindmelon

I heard there's a netflix show or maybe its a movie called 'Rebel Moon'. It was originally written for Star Wars.

Im not to hopeful...but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If anyone likes the look of Rebel Moon, then it's probably worth checking out Jupiter Ascending... absolutely nuts, and to be honest not very good - but it is quite fun if you just go with it and enjoy the scenery-chewing, and does have some nice sci-fi ideas and aesthetics.

Oblivion is also well worth checking out, for anyone who hasn't already. And if you don't mind subtitles Space Sweepers is good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

It's not a plot hole.

A space station having an exhaust port is not a plot hole.

A one in a million shot from one of the greatest users of the force in the Star Wars universe is not something which reasonably needed to be legislated for by the people making the Death Star. Just about every structure has weaknesses.

It didn't require a movie to explain how somebody built a "weakness" into the Death Star which could only be exploited by a boy nobody knew existed when the Death Star was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

It's not.

Turns out people don't understand what a plot hole is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

i concur completely with this,the only two shining lights! last three episodes of andor are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I would utterly back this up. well worth the watch.

and to get the full satisfaction out of Dune, read the book first. it's a phenomenon.

Advertisement