Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon wheel rim depth-heavier rider

Options
  • 04-12-2023 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking to upgrade to carbon wheels and have a good deal on 50mm scribe inception wheels.

Have been doing some reading re rim depth and the effect of crosswinds etc on handling, particularly for lighter riders, unsure if this is anecdotal and depends on the specific wheelset/rider though!

Any recommendations re whether I should go 50mm or 32mm, I'm 90kg myself and live near the coast (so do ride in wind a fair bit).

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

You'll be fine, you get used to the 'twitches' after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Went with 50mm carbons myself, 86KG - no issues once you get used to the little twitches in the front when very windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

There's no denying the physics. Wider/deeper rim section catches the wind more for sure. Coupled with an aero frame and you can get alarmingly buffetted. Maybe a 40 section or a 35 would be better if you're concerned. They'd be lighter too.

I ditched a set of zipp 404's I had last year cos they were dodgy in a cross wind or even a lorry steaming past at full chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

100kg 65/40 & no issues. As for the crosswinds once you get the feel of the wheel set up it’s no bother for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Rim shape plays a part too. The newer U shape seems to be better than the older V shape. I'm bout 5''8 and 63kg had old set of V shape 45's that I couldn't use in the wind, changed to set of newer U shape and 55 deep and have had no problems at all in the wind with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I went with 50mm and I'm a similar weight. As already mentioned, newer U shaped wheels handle winds better and mine are great (Hunts). Definitely the best upgrade I've done to the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

As said above the new 'U' shaped rims are a lot easier in the wind . If you live coastal have a think about 40/45 front and 50/60 rear. Best of both worlds.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Similar size to yourself. Usually race on 60mm rims. You'd notice it in strong crosswind, particularly if you catch a gust or emerge from shelter but the effect has never been so pronounced to make me nervous.

Advertisement