Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023 Graduates Thread - What's Next?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The plan has to work for your life - no point taking on a plan that you don't have full belief in, or that doesn't suit you. If the group long run is important to you, then it's important to work that in. I'm not sure meshing the two plans as you suggest is the best idea, I'd be more inclined to stick the HHI1 structure, and maybe sprinkle in some of the Wednesday (or Tuesday in your case) sessions from the Grads plan. Looking at it, maybe the sessions from the "Beginner Marathon" tab are more aligned with the distances suggested in HHI1, so maybe sub in some of those to HHI1 on your Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

thanks for reply.

Sorry, should have mentioned it is the beginner tab I'm using for the boards plan, so the plan for this week would be

60 Very Easy | 5 x 8 min threshold | 60 Very Easy | Rest | 8K | 15K | Rest/Cross

Boards Beginner would have been:

60 Very Easy | 5 x 8 min threshold | 60 Very Easy | Rest | 60 Very Easy | 70 min Threshold | Rest/Recovery 20 mins

HH intermediate 1 would have been:

5k | 8K | 5K | Rest | 8K | 15K | Cross

It is a bit of a step up in KM to combine the two plans compared to just HH, at least for now anyways. I started doing the hybrid plan this week to start somewhere: 60 V.Easy was 8.5K and 9k this week. The threshold run was 14K with wu and cd. So I have 32k done at this point, while I'd only have 18K with HH.

The boards plan doesn't really ramp up the midweek runs at all, they are always 60 Easy with a speed session, and I don't see any of the other sessions being any longer than 14K. HH does eventually have weeks that start with 8k | 13k | 8K, so not a million miles off.

Yeah I had considered just adding speed sessions to HH, but I was kind of worried that at what point am I essentially just creating a new plan anyways.

I feel ok so far for the week, and thats even after racing a 10 mile on Saturday. I have had 3 months of between 30-45K a week leading up to this, so while 55Km projected for this week is a step up, it's not a huge change. Boards plan only would probably have been similar KM anyways. Next week is a step back with HH too so that should drop back to a projected 45K for the week.

I know there is no magic 8 ball which will say its the right thing to do or not. I just didn't find a plan that really resonated with me (yet?) so said I'd just try something!

Sounds like you've thought it through well and formed a solid plan. Just to note, this weeks session was 4x8 min, not 5x8, and it's a 70 min progression run, not 70 min threshold! Probably just typo's but just wanted to point it out.

There's no magic plan, or indeed magic session. It's all about building sensibly and steadily over the long haul.

The Saturday threshold was a typo, but I did run 5x Threshold on Tuesday… :/ (there is 12 minutes of my life I won't get back!)

I'll properly combine the plans and print them out this weekend to avoid such mishaps in the future!

The boards plan is 14 weeks and the HH plan is 18 - I think you've overlooked that too? Just use the Wednesday Progression/Moderate runs from the boards base plan until it catches up to HH. Probably best to print it out alright!

• Advertisement

Yup, to be honest I had missed that! I combined the plans last night and only realised it then. Hopefully my running will be more successful than my organisation attempts!

This is the current iteration of the plan, we are in week 2. Roughly 975km on the plan + DCM (I'm rough guessing for some of the Tuesday sessions distances, but its probably close enough).

Last year I started HH in week 5 and did 750KM, so comparing the two plans from week 5 on, its about 60-70KM extra in total, which should be ok spread over 12/13 weeks

Tullamore is a week later than HH Race half should be, so I just swapped those weeks around. I also reduced the running a little that week. I ran a training run as the half race last year (Just went out locally but at race pace), and it went well from a time point of view, but I think getting an extra race day experience will be helpful as I think i was a bit green last year.

I might do streets of Galway (which is 8k) instead of the "12K (P)" (marathon pace) and push the 23K til Sunday (depending on how I'm feeling). Not overly bothered on a time for this so don't need to go flat out or anything, just more for the social aspect nearly. Not signed up yet though.

I did Tullamore myself last year. It's a great race, well organised, nice t-shirt and oodles of parking on site. I will likely end up doing it again this year… currently weighing one or two options.

Post edited by Mr. Guappa on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just in relation to Tullamore Half - it's almost sold out so don't sit on the fence regarding entry.

Yeah good point! It sold out last year for sure, I had intended to run it but sat on the fence too long!

Advertisement