Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Lol. I did that trip last week and could have done the return on one charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Yesterday, I did Dublin to Portlaoise, onto tullamore, then back to Dublin. Started with 80% had 15% when I got home... no horses were spared on route. Could have done it and had over 20% left.

Woke up this morning and i had 80% again 😀

But yeah, range and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭pah

Maybe they are using the gen 1 Nissan leaf as their frame of reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

2021: Electric Cars cost too much - people complain
    2024: Electric Cars are getting cheaper (therefore higher depreciation) - people complain

There was a massive supply shortage in 2021, every car (powered by petrol, diesel, electric or hopes & dreams) was overpriced.

It's good that prices are falling, more people can access an EV now should they want to. It sucks if you want to sell a Model 3 that you bought a year ago for €9k more than the equivalent model today.

Also, range anxiety only exists for those who don't have an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I think the only people who complain about the prices are either people who bought one as an "investment" or if they are a dealer that bought in too expensively. Also if you are hell bent to get yourself between the 242 plates to upgrade from that old 222 you might have only limited opportunities to get affordable cost of change. But the second hand market will thank you.

For myself I just drive and worry about the prices when it's time to change. The way the well designed EVs with sufficient range seem to last you can always decide that it may not be so important to get that coveted 251 in January.

Of course there is the generic rabble from the manufactures that are too lazy to develop good EVs at a right price and of course the oil industry lobbyists and people with vested interest in selling the refined products. And finally noise from the people who have it all sussed with the quality journalistm from the Sun/Independent/Times and the Pub.

Just drive whatever suits your needs and situation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I dont know how some of you have the patience to respond to some of the posts and comments here and on social media. Fair play to you, but I also fear you are on a losing battle. Someone coming on here and going on about range at motorway speeds, or chargers in apartments, or the problems with public chargers, when for the vast majority of the population, and more often than not the people themselves, those issues dont actually apply.

I also dont get why someone who has no interest in an EV comes on to tell EV users how awkward and problematic the practicalities of having an EV is. EVs work for a lot of people. And they wont work for some. The vast majority of EV users use home charging. I have never had an issue with public charging. Twice, once in Applegreen and once in a Circle K, I was going to charge whilst I was stopped, but both were in use, so I just went in and got my food as I was going to do, and just kept on going home. I was only going to charge for the sake of it, not because I needed it. So there was no problem. Had I needed it, then yeah, it would be awkward. But I didnt, and thats as much an issue I have ever had with public charging.

Some of the absolute rubbish and changing of goal posts just astounds me. "yeah but you cant drive to Belfast and then to Galway and then home again". Or "I can do 800km in my diesel without stopping". As if they are common things that drivers do. I have done long trips in my EV and I have stopped for toilet/food break. Whilst stopped, the car charged. About 15 to 20 mins of a break. And thats it. I would do the exact same stop if I was driving my ICE car, so there is zero difference. And if you drive 800km in a day without stopping, then yeah, an EV isnt for you. And with the cost of starting at full on a home charge, with the high price of ionity fast charge, it still works out way cheaper to run.

But why the need to proclaim to everyone that unless a car does 800km then it wont work. It will work for many. Including the oft used rural types. I live rurally, about a 2 hour drive from Dublin, and I wouldnt change a thing with my EV. It gets me up and back without needing a charge. So its perfectly fine. It works for me, and it would work for a significant portion of other people. But some seem to rule out an EV for something that might only encompass a very small portion of their annual driving.

And dont even get me started on the whole crap on fires or the cost of a battery replacement and other such stuff being thrown about with no substantiation at all. The fact people will believe any old rubbish posted online

I don't like mushrooms, Coke/ Pepsi, iPhones, levi jeans to name a few things, but I don't tell people not to buy them, or start making things up to deter people from buying them.

Unfortunately some people are triggered by EVs or they're just misinformed, and they feel they MUST share their opinion, whether it's accurate or not.

Opinions are like arses, everyone has one, but not everyone wants to see yours. If it's full of sh1t, nobody wants to see it but if its well formed, people will be more inclined to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sometimes you'd wonder if the Gen 1 Leaf did more harm than good.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Some of the advice been given out by dealer is wrong as well

I think I posted here about a person in office who bought a MG, telling me the other day huge range. In today and told me they have range anxiety, when I questioned why they hadn't charged the car. Why? well because the dealer told them not to top it up everyday. They are driving around with no air con etc to make sure they have enough range to get home.

Very poor advice from the dealer, which from what I can gather was warning against fast charging every day but they have home charger

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Even for a model 3 owner who bought in 22, if they want into the new highland their cost to change is probably much of a muchness given how cheap it is now.

• Advertisement

I ran an interesting little calculation seeing as so many talk about the depreciation of an EV. They never factor in the cost savings, so here is how it pans out…

New Mg4 LR @ €32,500 – Let's give it 50% depreciation (average 3-year depreciation is 40%). Therefore, a resale value of €16,250.
    Mileage: 500km p/w or 26,000 p/a (I used my average weekly mileage for reference.)
    Combined economy: 20kw/h per 100km or 0.2kwh per km (per my driving history which isn’t economical).
    Cost to run: 26,000 x 0.2 = 5,200kw @ €0.17 (average night rate cost as per bonkers.ie) = €884 p/a or €2,652 over 3 years.
    Resale value less cost to run: €13,598

New Golf Style 1.5 TSI @ €36,205 – Let's give it 30% depreciation (very generous). Therefore, a resale value of €25,340
    Mileage: 500km p/w or 26,000 p/a
    Combined economy: 5.0 litres/100km or 0.05L per km (as listed - it will be less economical, but we'll go with it).
    Cost to run: 26,000 x 0.05 = 1,300L @ €1.85 per litre (current average from the AA) = €2,405 p/a or €7,215 over 3 years.
    Resale value less cost to run: €18,125

For fairness, I am deducting the difference in cost as the Golf costs €3,705 more; €36,205 - €32,500 = €3,705
    Pro rata Resale value less cost to run: €14,420 (€18,125 - €3,705)

This excludes cheaper motor tax and cheaper servicing on the EV. If you have solar panels or an EV night rate, the EV is far more cost-effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,409 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

New M3H is 38.6k. 2022 RWD M3s seem to be going from about €30k on donedeal so that's a cost of €8.6k to go from a 2 year old car to a brand new one. Not sure if that's much different for an oil powered car

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

They might be looking for 30k but I'd be surprised if a 221 Reg was actually getting that or close to it.

What would you say it would get? I have accepted that 8.5k is not a lot to be moving from a 2 year old car to a new one

From the article

Chinese electric vehicles, are piling up at European ports, with some spending up to 18 months in port car parks as manufacturers struggle to get them onto people's driveways.

18 months ago there was a 9 month wait on getting a new MG. BYD weren't here yet, don't think Ora were either

So I'm not so sure about this one

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I see plenty of MGs around anyway, especially taxis.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭joe1303l

It probably has especially now that modern EV’s really highlight its shortcomings

Yes and no.

It looks like a very poor car by today's standards but without it we wouldn't have many of the cars we have today.

At the time it was suggested that an EV owner should also have a diesel as backup. The days of that advice are disappearing very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

EV companies are very quick to say they are not traditional manufacturers of traditional cars but tech/ai companies selling the latest gadget, and to a point this is correct.

if you are buying an ev though you are buying into something that is an immature enough product with improvements and obsolescence to follow.

The leaf is a 486 to Teslas Pentium. I’ll buy an EV when they get to i9 standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

We'll hear from you again in a few years so 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭electricus

Following your analogy, the majority of people who buy i9 based PCs or laptops will never use enough of it’s available processing power to notice the upgrade from an i7 or i5, or even a (more recent) pentium in many cases.

Of course. The pc market has been stable for the past 10/15 years, but it was a different story in the 90s.

EV companies are very quick to say they are not traditional manufacturers of traditional cars but tech/ai companies selling the latest gadget, and to a point this is correct.

No they don't. Unless you're referring to Tesla, who push that narrative to inflate their stock price.

You telling us that BMW, VAG, Porsche, Nissan / Renault, Volvo, Kia, Hyundai, Jaguar, etc. are trying to persuade us that they are tech companies?

None of the above have made any bones about claiming “tech is the new luxury” so yes. Tech dates quicker than Connolly hide though, and therein lies the rub.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Auto makers are all at it, whether they are building diesel cars or EVs. They're selling products to consumers it's not surprising that they try and make their newer products sound better than their old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Exactly, marketing is powerful but differs from region to region. Hyundai will advertise the sh*t out of what makes them money in Ireland, doesn't mean they are an Tuscon or EV company. Only Tesla act the maggot to value engineer out buttons and indicator stalks.

Hyundai make Diggers, Fuel Cells, Department Stores, Roads, Apartment blocks and were the world's largest Container Ship builder until recently.

That they're using the newest tech in their cars to sell them? Does not make them tech companies nor do they claim this.

So with that analogy, ICE drivers are still using typewriters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭creedp

I would agree the poor Leaf battery design leading to excessive degradation and reduced range has fed a lot of negative EV media in recent times. They will eventually get bored and move on.

In my case people are still surprised that I got a 2nd EV after my poor experience with the L30

Advertisement