Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭creedp

I know but I don't see the point of decrying the anti EV stuff as nonsense and then posting that stuff

Edit - this is in respinse to @Buddy Bubs post above about trip to West Cork. Dont know why quote function didnt work.

I did it over the weekend. Was lucky to hit the Mahon Point superchargers with 1 free charger as 3 cars turned up just after I arrived and with only 2 charge points available (2 were hogged by Model Ss that weren't charging) I could have been 40 minutes or more waiting to plug in if I was 3rd car in queue.

On way back, again I thought I was lucky to have a free charger but for some reason the max charge rate was 95kw/h and pretty quickly dropped to 55kwh so would have been waiting 50+ min to have enough charge to get home. Plugged out after 30min and stopped for 10 min at Ballacolla superchargers for a top up to get home. It's not a major issue but not all plain sailing either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,252 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It's called hyperbole.

There are extreme fringe cases, creating ridiculous scenarios and fud. They are fair game for ridicule.

Then there are valid criticisms like charging blackspots and such.

Quite easy to tell the difference. Also theres a few posters who throw in a valid criticism now and then as bait and to make their spamming of fud less obvious. But it is actually obvious what they are at. But you can avoid it by using the ignore functionality. I'm sure plenty have me on ignore and we are both the happier for it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

My favourite is the slowly moving goal post. It wasn't too long ago that a return trip from Dublin to Belfast was seen as an impossible challenge that was the reason why EVs would never be suitable for anybody and the reason why a 2030 ICE ban (as per the programme for government proposal) would never succeed.

In the times since we've seen batteries get bigger, cars get cheaper and the availability of en-route charging increase dramatically. The M1 is still a bit painful thanks to Applegreen's slow roll out of decent hubs.

• Advertisement

If it takes you an hour at 55kwh does that mean (guessing about battery size) you were at 20% getting to 80% which is the optimal way to rapid charge anyway.

I assume you can't sustain 95kwh from 0-100% anyway.

Need to up the cost and fines for blocking chargers. But sounds like you didn't have to queue anyway. Certainly queuing for chargers is a valid criticism of the charging network. If I was doing regular long distance driving, where there is limited charging, an EV wouldn't be my first choice for sure..

I think it's new technology expecting it to be perfect is unrealistic. If you don't want to be on the bleeding edge then don't.

I realised on one of my few long distance trips in the EV that my usual stop on the M1 at apple green that I did in an ICE isn't viable in my EV. There are better places to charge and in my case a circular longer route on a motorway is vastly less efficient (and slower) than sticking to a shorter national route with less drag and more regen. It's all part of learning new tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

I just updated the stats on Mrs Tracos MY RWD which has now covered over 10k kms in 8 months and here's a positive spin on the ownership side. BTW this case is on the fringes given the ICE it replaced

Total electric spend €427 between high speed and home. It does get charged at work once a week. A quick run of the numbers factoring in what her ML would have cost and fire selling the Y today at 35k it would be 80c per km for the 10k kms. However as there is no intention to sell therefore any depreciation is irrelevent at this point. If we keep it until it dies the depreciation slowly disolves into the cost per km over the life of the car.

The basic headline savings over the ML are as follows:
    ML Tax Oct 1500, less the 100 for the Y. Saving €1,400
    Fuel for 10k kms; ML = 1,600 - Y = 400 . Saving €1,200
    ML Repairs - who knows as it was replaced due to a rear SAM fault and as tax was due we decided time to change. Board would have been 1k and who knows what else I would have found when I fitted it and coded it so its not put in for these calcs. Assume this is an old high tax ICE being replaced with a modern BEV.

So fuel and tax saving over 8 months is €2,600 for her or €325 per month. Maintenance not as big a factor for us as I would do most of the servicing on the ML so it would be parts only and my time. That is looking like an almost 4k saving for the first 12 months for her.

Based on the above and stating this as a petrol head if you have an older higher tax ICE and aren't interested in flipping the daily hack every two or three years for a new plate a current mid range BEV should be very high on your list. Charging does take a little bit of planning but is very managable and I think the net cash savings definitley outweigh the five mins it takes on ABRP and pliugshare to come up with a plan.

Sorry it doesn't fit the negative media mantra but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I get the point he was making. You list all the positives and sometimes the response is some inane scenario that never happens… but 'could' happen, and this is peddled as some kind of justification to not buy an EV.

Yes, you could end up having to do some crazy unforeseen journey, and an EV might not be best suited… but the real questions are (a) the likelihood of it happening, (b) how often it may happen, and (c) how much of an inconvenience would driving an EV cause versus an ICE, and (d) is it enough of a reason to ignore the cost savings? The problem is that those questions are rarely considered and the crazy journey is seen as some kind of gotcha moment.

I have no problem with what people buy - it's their money. I've said numerous times that an EV is not for everyone, especially if home charging isn't feasible. However, when the 'logic' for not buying an EV is some fantasy trip, then there is no logic.

I was at 20% and needed to get to 90% at a minimum to get home. On way down I charged from 20% to 80% in what I thought was under 25 min but the charging speed started at around 150kwh so I was surprised it didn't exceed 95kwh on home leg.

Anyway It worth bearing in mind that if you are confident about charger availability, it's sometimes worth unplugging before 80% if charge rate is slow and get a quick splash and dash closer to destination. Again all down to having decent charger availability. Tbh 4 chargers at Mahon Point is not enough while 8 chargers at Ballacolla is probably fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I have a regular trip to West Cork and used to stop in Mahon point but at busy times I just charge in Ballacolla now each way.

Usually have a second non charging stop to allow passengers a break as it's a 4.5hr drive, but wouldn't bother stopping again if by myself

The problem with Ballacolla is that you cant take on enough juice to give adequate buffer to drive around at destination and make it back to Mahon Point on return trip. Dont have destination charging but maybe worth a top up at the one ecars 50kwh charger within a reasonable distance from my destination.

Anyway the 7 seater will be making the journey the next couple of trips as the full clan of 6 will be travelling so a few non stop trips coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Ireland - Poor government policy (especially for fleets), very costly Toyota PR campaign paying off, purchasing power, and cultural aspect.

2024 will be a flat year in Europe. With regards to Ireland, it's hard to predict but unless gov policy changes, I think it's going to be an overall drop vs 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Per minute overstay fee and/or per min embedded into the pricing sorts this out instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Additionally Pope made an absolute meal of it. He describes getting stuck waiting at Enfield services and quitting and the resulting squeaky bum time as a result traffic in Longford. He fails to mention that he passed the Enfield Tesla supercharger, kinnegad Hub and ballinalack ultra rapid. He also had access to 50kw chargers at Longford and Ballaghaderreen, ultra rapid hub in Charlestown, fast chargers in Swinford, ultra rapids and fast chargers in Castlebar. Even if he set off with 30% that's a journey with no range anxiety given the many and good charging options en route.

One has to wonder at the wisdom though of owning an EV when you don't have access to home charging, I personally think his use case is better suited to PHEV - as he seems to be motivated to electric by environmental concerns. He could potter about town on electric when motivated to go out and charge it but also retain the option of petrol when it wasn't practical.

With home charging he'd have done the first leg of the journey on a single charge with most newer EVs. That said, better stop selection would have made his journey less stressful.

I couldn't identify the car he has though, it's an SUV but doesn't look like a VW.

Anyone know what hotel in Westport has the presumably 50kw DC charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I actually do that journey quite regularly. The stop is fermoy or frankfield on the way there and Portlaoise, Mayfield or Kill on the way back. What's more annoying though is that you are arriving with such a low state of charge that you don't have much ability for local driving if necessary.

I probably could do it without stopping but I'd be coming back in the low single digits. It's a journey that's beyond my own non-stop distance though and I'd be anxious of running out of power.

I thought that was already in place. Didn't seem to matter to those 2 Model S owners though

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭3d4life

Vote No. 1 : Positron

edit : Just stumbled across a piece for Down-Under Doom-mongers

https://www.news.com.au/technology/motoring/on-the-road/huge-backlog-tesla-graveyard-as-unsold-cars-pile-up/news-story/bf4ed19c3edccf65bad29b2e5a9c2752

( dont think the piccys show any reason to be alarmed about stock levels down there. I mean, do people really want to be told that their new car is on a 6 month leadtime ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭crl84

Yep, he mentions "the app" and "ESB app" in the article, so it seems to me that he's only aware of ESB ones, and not all the other providers along his route…..

He said:

"As the sun goes down on Clew Bay, we arrive in Westport and are delighted to see on the ESB app two sets of charging points nearby. The first set is occupied by a non-EV car (rage) so we head to one in a hotel car park. It’s free.“Oh my God, it’s a fast charger,” my wife exclaims like she’s just seen a unicorn cantering through the town. "

On the ESB app, there's two ESB chargers in Westport, one type 2 22KW, and one at the Westport Leisure Centre car park - 100kW. I assume it's that one he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Knowing in advance (advance been the keyword here) that on Friday you are going to Mayo.

You would use the slow charger on Thursday - not wait until Friday.

Bear in mind that we are looking at using the exact same local charging on Thursday that you are using on the Friday.

Except for two things.

1) if there's a problem you've bought yourself an extra 12 to 24 hours to rectify it.

2) your story might get a lot less interesting.

2) is why people who are into EVs will wonder if some "mistakes" weren't in fact mistakes.

Anyway I decided to try an experiment with a Better Route planner.

For his piece Conor Pope was stood next to a Mercedes EQB in a photo.

I used the following.

Car - Mercedes EQB 350 4matic

Journey plan inputted

Depart Stoneybatter with 20 percent battery - travel to Belmullet and return to Stoneybatter.

From the Stoneybatter address suggested by ABRP it recommended going to Sundrive Road Kimmage and charge for 27 mins from 19 to 79 percent.

Then continue to Charlestown Co Mayo for a 38 min charge.

Then on return stop at Carrick on Shannon for 20 mins.

Projected FULL trip charging time is 1 hr 24 mins.....

However this is based on ABRPs default settings including a minimum arrival SoC at charger of 10 percent.

The only change I made was to set departure SoC to 20 percent which I don't think you'd plan for if a trip you knew about in advance.....

The arrival back to Stoneybatter is projected to be 11 percent for example

Also worth noting is that if you do Belmullet to Stoneybatter and back to Belmullet - starting at 90 percent.

Then the projected departure from Stoneybatter on the return SoC is 45 percent. Same Merc as above - I just entered two separate trips.

• Advertisement

That was my point most will unplug at 80% anyway because it slows down. I can't imagine at 20% you had long to wait charging at 95kw/h.

It took 30 minutes to get to 80% with a projected 20 further minutes to have sufficient charge to get home. Charge rate was down to 55kwh at that point and presumably would have dropped rapidly had I remained charging

I'm still surprised it was so slow, could it have been down to power sharing due to adjacent cars being at low SOC?

Could be thermal throttling if you'd been hammering it.

55kw isn't really that slow.

I was hammering it the evening before😆 but not on the day of charging. I'm not going to say anymore but 95kwh at 20% on a 250kwh charger is very slow in my book. Will keep an eye on it the next few charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Answer 1: No need, Gas heating and cooking

Answer 2: I never said there were no options, I said there were poor options. Up until earlier this year there was a single ESB 50kW unit, usually waiting on 2 cars in front to start. Not too bad if visiting for the weekend, not great at all if you're living there for the months of July and August

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does he not need electric for the spark within the cooker to get it going?

Love how the story has changed. We've gone from no way of charging, to a DC 50kw/h charger with a queue. It's like moe telling a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Where is this house? Toora Boora caves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭pah

Possibly doesn't affect Model S owners on free SC for life?

Advertisement