Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

Well I think it's relevant in discussing the thread topic. I'm adding why having kicked the idea for the last two years in our household we're holding off full EV adaption but can definitely see it happening for us in the long term.

Fear of ev technology is not an issue for us. If anything it's knowing there's a whole load of cheaper EV and phev options arriving is having me pause.

I follow an Oz car review channel and they're getting way more exposure to whats coming out of Asia than we have at present. It's only heating up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,252 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Well the media might be playing into people feeling ticked off after their resale value fell, which may be contributing to the EV sales contraction we're seeing.

They'll add in range anxiety, which is not a consideration for early adaptors and enthusiasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Even in 10 years time, you will have second hand ICE cars for probably the following 5-10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

It's not about thinking one way or another, it's about using common sense and logic. The irony of common sense is that it isn't that common.

Range is not an issue for EV owners, but it is perceived as an issue for those who don't own an EV! Surely those with actual experience are far better informed than those who are merely speculating.

This is what irks EV owners but it's symptomatic of modern society - people think they are more informed than those who are actually informed because they have a little information. It doesn't matter if that information is right, once it aligns with their perceptions. If I want to know about something, I ask people with experience because experience always trumps theory.

• Advertisement

My brother has an ev, suits his and family needs perfectly, but he'll still take their ice car when visiting me at the other end of the country.

I guess that influences my thinking.

Early adaptors are most likely to have factored in their needs, as another poster said they used logic and reason.

An impulse EV buyer suffering fomo might discover that an ice car was more suitable.

…a huge percentage of people will be denied the opportunity to drive at all because of the ICE ban.

How so? It's not a car ban, it's a ban on burning fossil fuels to propel the car. You can still drive a car… just not an ICE.

I remember the smoking ban and how people got up in arms about it. It's hailed as a success now. Sometimes the government needs to ban something for the greater good.

If you don't believe in climate change, that's your view, but tailpipe emissions are real and cause pollution at a local level. Exhaust fumes contain carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, and benzene; all of which are harmful to people (this is how people commit suicide by putting a pipe from their exhaust pipe into the car and shutting the windows).

I was responding to this because it's bonkers.

It's not an issue for those who've made the switch.

It's an consideration for those who haven't.

Just an fyi, I use our ICE when traveling to my friends in Sligo or going on holidays in Ireland. It's nothing to do with range though. Our ICE is a 7-seater X Trail so it suits our needs better as there is far more space and it has a towbar that I can hitch our bike trailer to… I don't have a towbar on our EV.

• Advertisement

That's got nothing to do with early adopters. That's just not doing your research before buying something.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The PHEVs come with their own set of problems like that the EV range may not be enough for grand majority of the medium lenght trips you take. They also usually suffer from worse efficiency on the EV mode than pure EVs and still require servicing the ICE part whether they are used or not so the running costs tend to be higher. Also if the ICE is not used regularly this can lead to issues like moisture build-up in the engine and internal corrosion within and also demanding sudden high loads from a dormand ICE may be mechanically bad for it. On some models the heating does not work in the pure EV mode and if it does it may hit the range quite a lot due to a small battery.

So it's not all compromise free in the PHEV world either. You'll need to figure out how often you'd take trips beyond the range EV could do remembering that more often than not a break say every 300-400 kilometres actually make sense anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 slideaway

I get it.

Just to say I did think like that, ran a phev for 6 years and for what it was liked it and got me used to it.

Bought a taycan last year not because it was an ev but it suits my needs and love it.

Looking at it now I don't see why you'd lug around an engine for the very rare long journey. I've done many long journeys, coast to coast and back same day with very little planning etc

As people say it's the non ev owners that have range anxiety, it's not an issue if the car does 300km+ realistically in my situation.

But do what suits.

Post edited by slideaway on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭creedp

Another example of a person for which a phev was a gateway to full EV. A bit dubious if EVs suited so take the interim PHEV step first before realising yea EV next time around. Plenty people out there in the same boat.

I think there might be a it of phev snobbery out there also. I see plenty people extolling the benefits of the BMW 330e and 530e but not so much the run of the mill Fords/Hyundais etc.

As said buy whatever you think suits you best, be it a small hatchback, family saloon, mpv or big SUV, petrol, diesel, phev, hybrid. Plenty choice out there for everyone

I agree that people should buy what suits their needs, but this is a thread about anti EV articles in the media.

We're debunking the myths and falsehoods that are being peddled in the media. There is a campaign to detract from EV adoption afoot. Whether it's just uninformed people, lazy journalism, deliberately negative PR, or a mixture of all is unclear, but it's happening.

I've no problem with PHEVs and they have their place, and they're perfect for some people, but they're not the silver bullet their made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

As of late though it's become an anti-PHEV to evangelical levels, with a dose of media conspiracy thrown in. It's pretty ridiculous.

Do you mean the media or boards.

Just because someone disagrees didn't mean they are anti some thing.

Agreed. I'm debating some points because I think they're inaccurate, misinformed, or they just seem illogical.

I'm not anti PHEV and I've said many times that they have a market. I don't care what people drive, but I'm not listening to FUD or BS. If someone wants to drive a petrol, diesel, PHEV, whatever... no problem here, but I'm sick to my back teeth of people talking **** about buying an EV when they have never driven one.

I don't dismiss ICE cars but whenever i see anything positive written about an EV, or even EV adverts, it is always met with bullshit and vitriol.

The media has an anti EV agenda. It's not even subtle anymore. I've said it before, a lot of very wealthy companies and states lose a lot with mass EV adoption and they want to protect their golden goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This thread. And it's more than some people just not liking PHEVs, they come across personally aggrieved that someone would buy one over an EV.

But the idea that there's a grand media conspiracy to downplay EVs because they're in the pockets of some industry or another is a bit far. Car manufacturers themselves are moving away from ICE so who's steering the ship from the murky depths, the oil industry?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Can you show any examples, all I see is people calling out that the suggestion of buying a PHEV without home charging as was suggested in response to Conor Pope's article was a bit daft, and PHEV owners justifying their choice of a PHEV because they never want to charge in public.

• Advertisement

Doesn't read like that to me, unless someone takes anyone mentioning any disadvantage of a PHEV personally.

The media is mostly ignoring phevs for some unknown reason. Perhaps BEVs create more clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

"How so? It's not a car ban, it's a ban on burning fossil fuels to propel the car. You can still drive a car… just not an ICE"

You won't be able to drive a car if you can't charge it at your home or somewhere equally convenient and reliable.

"If you don't believe in climate change, that's your view, but tailpipe emissions are real and cause pollution at a local level. Exhaust fumes contain carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, and benzene; all of which are harmful to people (this is how people commit suicide by putting a pipe from their exhaust pipe into the car and shutting the windows)."

The ICE ban isn't for these reasons. The ban is to reduce CO2 emissions, that terrible "pollutant" that is essential for plants to grow and whose increased levels has caused the planet to become greener over the last few decades. Yes, CO2 did raise the temperature but any further increases in CO2 will have an insignificant effect on further temperature increases because a 'saturation' point has been reached.

You can't fill an ICE car at home either. The charging infrastructure is improving annually. The batteries and tech are improving. A 10 year old EV versus a current EV are eons apart. It's also worth noting that there is about 47 years of oil left in known reserves, if its being used at the current levels. Oil is a finite resource, and as the supply dwindles, the price will keep increasing thus making driving inaccessible for many people... supply and demand.

Regarding CO2, you have cherry picked the one thing that suits your agenda and dismissed the rest. It's a familiar trait for those who bash EVs.

When the experts say it's a problem, I listen. The earth is warming, at least you have admitted that, but to say the saturation point has been reached is ridiculous. Have you a time machine that you've used to see into the future? Nobody knows if there is a 'saturation point', or what that point is. The only thing we know is that if it keeps rising, we're screwed and if it gets to the point of no return, we won't be able to do anything to reverse it.

The experts have given their view on the critical temperature where atmospheric changes will be irreversible, and this is not like a pot on the stove that we can just take off. I'd rather not find out what happens if we hit that temperature because no amount of apologies or admissions of being wrong will make a blind bit of difference.

Post edited by RoboRat on

Aggrieved no, baffled yes.

When I see people saying they won't get an EV but hope to use a PHEV in EV mode 90% of the time, I'm baffled. Or when they say they're only filling up once or twice a year but an EV isnt suitable, I'm also baffled.

When I see people saying they won't have maintenance on the engine in a PHEV because they rarely use it, I'm calling BS.

When I see people saying a PHEV is better because they may do an occasional long spin, I'm happy to add that this can be done in a EV.

When people suggest a PHEV as a solution for someone with no home charging, I'm calling that ridiculous... what's the point of having a PHEV if you don't plan on charging it. Just get a economical ICE.

This isn't anti PHEV, it's just addressing points that I feel are inaccurate.

Post edited by RoboRat on

What do people do with an ICE. They fill it somewhere else then drive around all week until they need to fill it up again.

They could quite easily charge an EV somewhere else and drive around all week until they need to fill it up again.

I did it before I had a home charger fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The ban is to reduce CO2 emissions, that terrible "pollutant" that is essential for plants to grow and whose increased levels has caused the planet to become greener over the last few decades. Yes, CO2 did raise the temperature but any further increases in CO2 will have an insignificant effect on further temperature increases because a 'saturation' point has been reached.

Sources for this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: This thread is related to EV media articles not the place for a debate on CO2 based Climate Change, keep to the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

The Irish Times at it again with their "Helping to separate electric vehicle myths from facts, we’re here to answer all your EV questions" series - it's actually getting ridiculous at this stage, between Neil Briscoe not knowing what he is on about, and these copy paste articles which include the debunked study by Volvo, but sure they publish it anyway as fact:

https://www.irishtimes.com/motors/2024/06/25/your-ev-questions-answered-are-electric-cars-produced-ethically-and-sustainably/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Briscoe was never a patch on Michael McAleer and with EV’s in particular he’s getting worse. Probably related to the fact he doesn’t get a free tank of fuel to use with each press car when he has to review an EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A guy reviewing EVs who doesn't have home charging just can't be taken seriously.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement