Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights slightly flickering - Cork City centre location

• 04-12-2023 7:52pm

I’m just wondering what might be causing this? The lights in my house have been slightly flickering at times, but only during peak demand - so I think it’s a supply issue.

I noticed when the cold weather hit they have become really quite bad. So I’m assuming heat pump loads.

Wiring around here is all old quadruplex or four stack overhead urban from decades ago.

Will ESB networks do anything?! How to I log and report it? Can I get any plug in device that might monitor the voltage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Could be an external connection issue or excessive voltage drop at peak times

You'd probably check it's not an internal issue , main fuse or board etc. first before calling ESBN

• Checked and there’s nothing obvious in the house that could be causing it. It’s a fairly modern installation, all MCBs and nothing is overloaded.

The issue seems to exactly track the peak usage around 5-7pm and is very noticeable on cold days. 4 neighbours have installed heat pumps this year and EV charging, so I’m assuming the local network is just overwhelmed. Is rather old - the twisted quadrupex and 4 wire stacks, probably originally dating from the 1950s by the looks of the 4 stack anyway

I’ll get an electrical contractor involved but I would strongly suspect it’s excessive load based on the pattern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Antenna

Do you have a smart meter? - they (ESBN) can probably monitor your incoming voltage remotely if it appears to be being pulled significantly low during those times

• I’m getting one soon. Notification came in. I’ve a digital day/night non-smart meter that’s probably from the late 90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

Get a rec to check your connections on the distribution board

• Advertisement

You can get some idea by switching on some heavy loads and observe the dimming or flickering on an incandescent lamp

If there's not much dimming there may not be a problem at the board

If however all current using appliances and lights are switched off except the incandescent lamp and it starts dimming or flickering at peak time there is likely an external problem

The 4-wire overhead LV lines weren't always great

Handy to get a 3 phase supply in but supply quality mightn't be good

If they looped the service i saw that give trouble too

• There was no flickering at all today, but yesterday I switched off everything a the board, except for one lighting circuit which has a halogen bulb still in it. There was no dimming, what it was more like was just a rapid flicker. That would cycle for maybe 10 min, then go back to completely smooth, then go back to flickering... It's got the pattern of something being switched in and out.

I'd probably ask the meter installer to check the connections at ESBN fuse are good

You'll have eliminated any possible issues at ESBN meter/fuse anyhow

• It’s sorted. Network issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• No explanation given yet - they came out and there had been a few similar reports. They seem to have fixed it though as the issue is no longer there.

Connection issue possibly if it was a quick fix

• Apparently a burned out component in a cabinet.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• That was the end of the explanation ... they left it vague!

Advertisement