Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing container from China

• 04-12-2023 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, 

First time poster here. 

I'm in the process of importing my first container into Dublin Port from China. I've never done this before and I'm on my own. To save money, I'd rather unload the container myself (have a large van) from Dublin Port to my place (I've calculated that I need to make two trips). Am I allowed to do this at Dublin Port? 

Secondly any tips on how to pay my supplier securely? I've done as much due diligence as I can without traveling to the factory - verified on Alibaba, video calls with sales (tour around showroom) etc, and samples ordered and delivered as promised, so all good so far. However, the bill for the container will be nearly €15k so quite anxious and want to protect myself. I can use PayPal and they have Alibaba trade assurance (which I've read isn't bulletproof). However, from Reddit and Quora I've seen a few complaints that PayPal hasn't been that helpful in refunding claims from Alibaba lately, so I'm thinking of getting a credit card from AIB but not sure if the credit limit's going to be that large especially since I'm a sole trader and just starting. What are your thoughts? 

Appreciate any tips

Post edited by silassir on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

No you won't be allowed access to the terminal to unload the container on the Quay side.. You will need to arrange someone the collection with an artic truck to take the container off quay to wherever you are going to offload it..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Alexander Ozzie

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭turnfan

If you are concerned about payment, you can ask a Bank to Open a Letter of Credit for you.

It does mean you will have to fund this before the shipment leaves but if the vendor doesn't do their end, the funds will return to you

More details here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

OP is the importer. Generally, it’s the exporter who is worried about payment and wants a Letter of Credit (LC) to secure payment so its bank and the importer’s bank get together and open a letter of credit.  I cannot see any specific advantages in an Import Letter of Credit. LCs  simply are a promise from one bank to another to pay a certain sum to another bank provided a bunch of paperwork is in order. Usually they are irrevocable (ILOCs). The ship docks, a file of shipping papers is presented to the Irish bank and if all conform to the LC’s terms, payment is transferred. Letters of credit are just adding a layer of paperwork and parties to the transaction (15kmight be a lot to OP, but in the overall scheme of foreing trade it's piddling). Because an ILOC is an interbank promise to pay, the importer will have the amount of the ILOC blocked on its bank account from date of opening the ILOC. (If no funds or o/d facility exists, cash up front will be required.) No Letter of Credit is going to cover merchantability of the product, whereas Alibaba trade assurance claims it will do so. IMO a LC is adding a layer of complication to the transaction. Even if the Ali dispute process is reputed to be difficult, it would be much simpler than taking proceedings against a Chinese company!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Sorry to slightly divert the thread but typically how much would it typically cost to get a container with goods from Dublin Port to a location nearby outside the port, and remove the contents(not have the artic driver waiting around long)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Depends on size of container, 2 hour waiting time and de stuff, prob pay 400 to 500 Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

OP , did you ship this yet? do not let any Chinese company you are purchasing from handle the freight, purchase your goods FOB or DAP and instruct an Irish freight forwarder to handle everything for you, shipping clearance , delivery etc. 15K sounds very expensive

Advertisement