Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pet Insurance Options?

Options
  • 05-12-2023 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm considering getting pet insurance for my [dog and Cat] and would love to get your thoughts and suggestions. I want to make sure I get good coverage in case any health issues come up, but there are so many options out there.

What pet insurance does your family use and would you recommend it? What level of coverage did you choose? Did you add any riders for additional coverage options? How easy is the claims process if you've had to use it? And around how much do you pay in premiums?

I'd appreciate hearing about any positive or negative experiences you've had with pet insurance companies. And if anyone has suggestions when comparing plans, that would be great too. I'm especially curious what coverage limits I really need for my budget.

Please share your wisdom so I can find the right pet insurance plan! Thanks in advance for your recommendations."

Post edited by Danbolte on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Allianz all the way for me. You fill a form in at the vets and they submit the claim for you. I had over 20k in claims over 14 years for my dog who died recently and never any issues. Also if you find yourself in a referral or emergency hospital having insurance makes thinks a lot easier and takes a lot of pressure off you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Most vets recommend Allianz. I think that's probably all you need to know! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Plus 1 for Allianz, can't fault them 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I also recommend Allianz - I am with them for my two cats - I originally went with another insurer that has a colour in its name, but they were a complete and utter nightmare to deal with - couldn't even change a direct debit date without huge hassle. 😺

I know some will probably think its excessive, but I also have a TrustVet Petplan with my vet - its €19 a month but it covers an annual health and dental check up with bloods, all annual vaccinations, all parasite control (flea, tick and worm), discount of dental work, and up to 12 consultations a year per pet.

For both, it costs me €30 per cat, per month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

From all threads I've seen here the one insurer that keeps coming up as least hassle and easiest to deal with from a Vet perspective that they bill the insurance company instead of you is Allianz. May not be the cheapest option but if it's vet preferred and user recommended it's hard to go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yep Allianz too

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I used Blue Insurance, can't quite recall why, but I guess they were a bit cheaper at the time.

They did make a substantial payout, though you need to pay the vet first, and then they will reimburse you, if they approve the treatment. They won't pre-approve, so you're potentially on the hook, though they did work out fine in the end for us.

Advertisement