Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Fern care

Options
  • 05-12-2023 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many of you wrap up Tree ferns for the winter?

I wrapped mine last year but got caught out by the early frost this week, I am near the south coast so frost isn't too severe, hopefully I will get these wrapped tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

I just wrapped mine yesterday. Due to laziness and procrastination it was around a month later than usual, and after a week of frost. It looks ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Ours survived the -13° of the bad winter in 2011, they are fairly hardy. We just tie up the old Fonds and put some old cut up fonds on the crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Weedy Gonzalez

We live in the midland which gets hard frost yet all my tree ferns survive whatever the winter throws at them with not much protection at all. A few dead leaves into the crown is all I do. Even my little ones make it through with no protection. They are hardier than you might think.

Advertisement