Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me finish a build?

Options
  • 05-12-2023 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hey all just purchased the following from a friend for very very cheap:

MOBO:Aorus X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI (Socket AM4/X570/DDR4/S-ATA 600/Mini-ITX)

Ssd: Crucial P3 Plus 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe Internal SSD - Up to 5000MB/s - CT1000P3PSSD801 (Acronis Edition)

Ram: Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G32C16U4B 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 32GB (16GB x2), CL16, Black

Case: NZXT H1 (gen1 with the PCI gen 4 riser so no fire 🤣)

Monitor is Samsung G7 1440p

Looking for cpu/gpu combo given the PSU is 650W and everything is there. Although suggestions for anything is welcome as I've not done a personal build since 2017

No need for windows or accessories. Main use case will be gaming (lots of retro gaming and try out the back catalogue of the last 7 years of AAA titles I've missed 😅

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I think that's a 240hz monitor so coupled with the 650W PSU and size limits of the case this is a bit painful.

Officially without any modding 305mm long, 128mm tall and 50mm thick is the max gpu size (or 265, 145, 50). It seems if you take off the top panel to fit it you will get longer cards to fit and there's another mm or two on the height and thickness with another mm or two of thickness there taking out the dust filter. I was finding cards 128.75mm tall and I think that's fine, the ones 267mm long though (and well over 128mm) I didn't try and hunt for reports about so I'm not sure how much wiggle room there might be there.

If you want to stick inside the official sizing then I at least found the INNO3D GEFORCE RTX 4070 Ti X3 OC on the higher end and XFX SPEEDSTER SWFT 309 AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT on the lower end (of what I'd dare pair with that monitor). If you don't mind colouring outside the lines or getting into case mods or perhaps just removing the top panel to fit it (or removing the dust filters) there's lots more cards that come into play.

As for cpu, 5700X is a steal on Amazon Germany right now if you are heading towards the 6700XT side of things, 5800X3D is kinda the obvious choice to go with that monitor but up around twice the price but if your wallet is ok with it (and you are aiming high on the gpu) it's a great choice and helps you not care about the 3200MHz ram not quite being optimal.

For any more really useful help you need to give a clue about budget and how willing/interested you are in painting outside the official lines let alone case modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭I Armour I

So 'painting' outside the lines is definitely possible. I already found some 3d prints case mods that make the outer taller and thicker with room for things like fans mounted and the DIY stuff can easily be done with the dremel/files it seems.

Since you suggested the 4070ti and 5800x3d pairing I checked out some info from the reviewers on YouTube, both seem like solid choices, I'll likely acquire new ram later on down line but for what I paid I couldn't help myself 🤣

I also was mistaken it was a samsung g5, so limited to 144hz (for now)

Really appreciate the suggestion Mini. Great help there mate 🤝

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

NZXT H1's AIO is kinda crap.

You can replace it with Thermalright AXP120x67 air cooler https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermalright-AXP120-X67-Profile-Cooler-TL-C12015/dp/B0B4JLP3BF/

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Great shout Kiki! Cheers

Advertisement