Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoning heating and hot water with boiler and hot water cylinder at opposite ends of the house

• 05-12-2023 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We have OFCH retrofitted in a 1950's bungalow. It was installed in 2007/2008 I think, but there are no controls apart from one Immermat timer controlling everything. We are looking at splitting the CH and DHW into separate zones, so we can use the oil to heat the cylinder without heating the rads, and we can install a thermostat for the rads that is independent from the cylinder

The boiler is in a boiler shed attached to a side of the house and the cylinder is in the hot press on the opposite side. We have no immersion heater on our cylinder. I was thinking it would be possible to run pipes in the attic between the boiler and cylinder, but one plumber advised against it. He said it wouldn't be efficient and it would airlock - though surely that's what pipe insulation and auto air vents are for, maybe he just didn't want to bother.

Is this a viable solution for zoning our heating and hot water, or is there a better alternative? We have concrete floors, so putting pipes under the floor is out of the question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭carveone

Anything is possible I suppose. So, the guy next door to me (top floor apartment) has his boiler in the kitchen and the hw cylinder is at the other end of the apartment. HW pipe runs through the attic. Airlock city.

The reason is that the water tank is right above him and there's enough frictional losses that every so often, if the tank is low say, the water isn't arsed getting itself over the hill, so to speak.

It can be done but some thinking may be required (Eg raised tank) . In the UK I see cylinders in the loft but they're unvented, fed from 3 bar mains like. Pressure you can only dream of here.

Advertisement