Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NordVPN with Virgin Media Ireland broadband (Hub 6)

Options
  • 06-12-2023 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭

I have Virgin Media broadband, which came with a Sagemcom router (grey front, only one light (white) which is called Hub 6 in the configurator (192.168.0.1)

I would like to watch BBC IPlayer and have a nordvpn subscription. When I run the vpn on my laptop, I can't connect to any websites at all (problem goes away if I pause the vpn). It makes no difference whether I connect over the router's built-in wifi or through an alternative wifi network running from an attached Deco mesh system.

I suspect Virgin is blocking the VPN somehow. Is this a known issue, and any workarounds?

Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

Strikes me that the router is trying to grab the DNS traffic and this is been hidden by the VPN. Had similar issues with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Actually I just solved the problem (I think) by forcing nordvpn to use OpenVPN(TCP) protocol (was previously set to automatic) in Settings>General.

Now... is there any way to install the VPN directly on the modem (or Deco) so that I can download the iPlayer app to my AppleTV box and connect that way (want to be able to watch on my TV!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I can't comment on that specific modem, but if there is a VPN option within the configurator, it might support OpenVPN. You just need to get the specific details from your Nord Account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No VPN options at all in the configurator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You mentioned Deco ... I found this from the big G:

That link should hopefully take you half way down the page to the section titled "Use VPN Client to Access a Remote VPN Server" ... OpenVPN is an option under that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

First enable "SmartDNS" in your online NordVPN account. Then add the NordVPN DNS IPs into your AppleTV DNS network settings.

Primary DNS: 103.86.99.103

Secondary DNS: 103.86.96.103

Advertisement