Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Of course they have, if you are precluded from using your own bin under sanction of a fairly substantial penalty, that bin no longer becomes a viable alternative.

Bins exist for trash collection not throwing money into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Those 1.9m bins are still needed for cardboard, plastic other than pet bottles, food tins, dairy containers, so now to recycle the same products as prior to yesterday people will need to use the 1.9m bins and the Return 1,800 RVM/ manual return location unless they want to throw away even more money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

People who didn't litter before are not going to start littering now. People who used the bin before who no longer want the container and are happy to not get their 15c back will continue to use the bin. They're not going to start littering. Its a pathetic argument to imply the bins are obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

This is the crux for me - it’s a pain in the ass for the entire population of the country for what exactly?

I wont flog a dead horse but will mention again how ludicrous it is to suggest this in being anyway positive for the environment.

What continues to go in the bin is moot.

This is to cure the problem of litter on the go.

The vast majority of which was never on the go, it was offered perfectly for recycling into a convenient bin located next to a dwelling.

In order for one now not to litter or face financial penalty they have to travel to one of these 1800 locations.

• Advertisement

Yep. The same poor fools who paid for the privilege to recycle previously will be the same poor fools who pay more now to recycle in this inconvenient mess.

Whilst the scumbag who fúcks his bottle out the window whilst driving in a country road will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Mc Donalds do, they have the sticker/cup scheme where you get 6 stickers from cups (1 per cup) and then the 7th tea/coffee is free. They also upped the price of their hot drinks by almost more than double.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Yes true. but hopefully they have'nt squished the can beforehand. Atleast some good can come out of them throwing the can or plastic bottle out the window, we can get the deposit money if its in good enough condition ;) infact knowing this i would encourage them to do it more and welcome it, so i can get their deposits.

i know it sounds stupid and silly to some, but i am thinking of telling a few people they can throw any cans or bottles into my garden over the front wall (has a huge bucket there) under the condition that they are not crushed.

is this silly, or a good stunt to pull?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

You go for it dude.

But if you do want to make proper money.

You need to invest in a transit van, do the festival and sports circuit and park outside.

Offer an empty can or bottle - have a chance to win a prize.

Every 100 cans or bottles is at least €15, set the prize at a value of €5 for every 100 collected. €10 quid gross profit.

Chit Ching.

thats a nice idea, i'll make note of that. i have a little book with spare raffle tickets in it so i could use that.

infact i could do a free ticket for every 2 or 3 cans, and then at the end of it all do a runner, now how's THAT for gross profit!

was a joke, but yes the prizes would be based on a portion of the profit. Prize might even be another drink free. a chance to win free drink sounds like fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

I don't think this government will take on the coffee cup thing. With every third coffee place going out of business, and the lashback on / Horlicks made of re-turn I'd say the planned "Latte levy" might be quietly shelved for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So the problem I have with that ridiculous labelling is the "till shock" element.

When I do my weekly/fortnightly shop, I don't count the pennies as I go around the shop, but I do consciously look at the different prices and discounts on different sizes of an item and pick accordingly. Now I have to mentally add on random "deposits" as well.

For families on a tight income who DO count their pennies this will be a disaster I imagine. Aside from the increased cost of these items anyway, keeping track of it all to stretch their limited shopping budget will be a nightmare.

But hey, who cares about any of that sure.

My local shop are not participating in the cluster fúck. They were basically told if they charged the deposit they would definitely get it back, but they would have to trust them that the customer would. Nonsensical.

So, they are only charging the deposits on products that have the logo. As per CEOs firm assertion on national television this week.

They don't actually have any logo products yet.

Píssing off to their loyal customers to bail out incompetence was never an option for them.

Generational family run business.

i would like to shake their hand for standing up to these.

also i have a slight idea that might drive more sales to that shop (if they wanted to a advertise this via word-of-mouth through someone else as proxy, for legal reasons) or something you and people you know might be able to benefit from.

Look up some of their non-logo'd stock, buy (or hold onto) whatever you normally would have normally purchased, see if the barcode sites for accepted cans has any truth to it, claim deposit via an RVM = Profit.

Just need to be sure to make sure what actually does work in the machine, as the site that has a list of barcodes some people have reported is'nt accurate and does'nt work on some items when they bring them to the RVM

Seems a big risk to take. Essentially relying on ReTurn to not go after then.

Fair play to them for taking their stand but it could really cost them in the longer term. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not off to a great start is it.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm not sure I follow. I'm no fan of the scheme but I absolutely want to know how much I'm paying for the deposit so I know what I'm owed back.

How is labelling it till shock? You're being told up front how much it is. Some shops seem to be adding it on after at the till which isn't transparent at all. What's your preferred labelling?

Re-Turn haven't a leg to stand on.

The only way they can go "after them" is in the criminal courts.

No crime has been committed.

i like your comment, but this is a funny strange turn of events. i thought you was on re-turns side all along. we need more people to jump ship and take side against re-turn lol. Also re-turn can't go after them for simply selling a product, like how is the shop meant to know theres some magical cheat sheet list going around online that lets people know there are some items without the return logo that are being accepted by the machines?

if the shop advertised this as a selling point, THEN legally peaking re-turn could go after them, thats why i suggested by proxy or with others spreading the word instead. a shop can't be sued for people giving a tip/hint to others. But could be if the shop themself used that as a selling point.

"it could really cost them in the longer term. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that!" yes hopefully indeed, but in what possible way can it cost them? the way i see it, if people don't want to bother buying into this whole deposit scheme, they can just buy the non-logo stock and not have to worry about losing deposits. Infact it seems more fairer on the consumer as now (until 1st june im assuming) the consumer has a choice of not partaking in the scheme while at the same time not having to boycott the brands they love. All they have to do is make sure their can/bottle does not have a logo on it. And then EVERYONE'S A WINNER! well except for re-turn for once!

kinda flips the whole "win-win for ReTurn" thing on its heels lmao. GOOD. more power and options back in the hands of the consumer. against the mean businuess tyrants that call themself a non-profit despite making profits and plans to create a recycling centre in ireland so that they can make even more profit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Holy crap what a thread.. people putting wrong stuff in bins because it’s not green

the big benefit of the recycling program is the ability to have more pure waste

Your recycling bin ( green or blue or whatever) also has paper, milk cartons etc.

this program allows better recovery and bigger yield. its only cans and plastic.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hahaha, I wouldn’t say I’ve jumped ship. I think the rollout has been pretty bad these few days. While I’ve a pretty good handle on how it works due to this thread, the general public don’t and so many non-logo items being charged a deposit is madness.

Ive always just called it the way I see it. Whether that’s pro or anti the Scheme.

I’m delighted you can make a bit of cash from this. You must be in heaven!

there's a moderator that comments in here every so often that is'nt a mod with mod powers in this particular forum, this mod insists its fraud and that i can get arrested for returning a can to an RVM that i did'nt pay a deposit on lmao, even went mad when i came up with the wonderful idea of arranging to collect other peoples cans who can't leave their home, via door-to-door and offered to pay them a portion of the deposits upfront so we all feel like winners. i was called a conman lol but in fairness i did wonder about ideas such as getting free cans from cafe's or making deals with staff if cafe's to buy their cans from them for a portion of the deposit, or getting them empties free if i knew someone that worked there.

In your opinion they don’t have a leg to stand on or do you have the legislation to quote?

Legally speaking, they may very well (that’s an opinion).

Will they go after them? Unlikely.

You really would argue with a wall. I said fair play to the shop but no no, Boggles must take exception to every post I make.

What are talking about? The machines are rejecting products that a deposit was paid on.

There is no where to bring these products.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Agreed.

Clear labelling showing the price of the item and the deposit charged is essential.

When customers put an item in the trolley they have to know what they will need to pay at the till.

That's really the bedrock of the supermarket shopping model.

Once the information is there customers will get used to it and make their own purchasing decisions.

You said the shop were taking a big risk with potentially criminal implications.

You are talking absolute nonsense, pure fear mongering.

If people are taking "exception" with your posts, maybe it's not them that are at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

The implication in your post is that mixed recycling is far from best practice (impure waste).

Except for some plastic and for aluminium cans, this problem is *completely* unaddresed by re-turn.

Shouldn't we work to fundamentally solve for all recyclables? Shouldn't we be trying to move away from recycling to reuse? When will be a good time to start on the overall problem?

the big benefit of the recycling program is the ability to have more pure waste

I'm pretty sure the incinerator isn't that fussed.

• Advertisement

Where did I say criminal??? Are you making stuff up again?

Financial risk….return could coming looking for the deposits. It wouldn’t be that hard, theyd just look at items sold via an audit…..

Wheres the fear mongering? If they don’t charge the deposits they may be liable for them. Hardly fear mongering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement